1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you bcc: on email?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaGlide, Aug 17, 2006.

1. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

I'm talking about work-related email. Do you use the bcc: line to sneak people into a conversation? If so, I would like to hear the conditions under which you use it.

Related subject: if you are one of those people that requests a receipt on every email that you send ... stop it.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You didn't vote, or you're a weasel as well. You could have left the voters' responses public. :p

3. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

I hate that

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have used it before when I wanted other people to see what I am writing, particularly if I am standing up for them concerning employment.

Coming from Gizmondo I used it A LOT !!

That way if the top dog ever tried to divide and seperate my management team there was no way as we were all on the same page.

We did it on almost EVERY email to HQ.

DD

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

bcc is to cya...only us it if necessary...my boss does the open receipt...i hate that...I don't because I have a log in my outbox to who I sent crap too...

what a day, 5:30 can't come soon enough...

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

I don't because I don't trust anyone to realize they were bcc. They might reply and reveal they were bcc'd by me. This happened once - the dork. It is much easier to forward the email to the person you wanted to bcc.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

In the coming weeks and months before I left Dell, my tone and attitude changed drastically in my emails. Lots of sarcasm, discontent, and even sports analogies. I'd BCC my buddies to give them a cheap laugh.

8. DaGlide

Ha! Sorry about that. I just voted, and the answer was 'No'.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I use it when alerting my director that I am contacting a manager and the manager is being lazy. I don't want to be blamed for my managers' incompetence.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I only BCC myself.

Rocket River

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've never used it but how exactly does it work. does the BCCee get to see who you sent it to but the main recipient doesn't? am i correct? i've always been afraid i'd screw up.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

NO.

BCC and read receipts are for b****es. ;)

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

bcc has oher uses. if you send out an address changes to all your friends with email addresses you send the email to yourself and bcc your friends. that way your friends who do not know each other don't have to say "WTF!"

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I did the same thing at the same place. :D

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Idiots at my work hit the reply all button on email instead of reply to sender on mass emails that I have to send sometimes when I update a spreadsheet and/or database. The bbc ensures that they only bug me with their stupid responses. Rarely do I have to send the "Thanks to a suggestion by X, I've also added..."

I also use it to notify people of an issue, but not necessarily keep them involved with the actual back and forth emails to resolve the issue. For instance, my boss needs to know what projects I'm working on with other groups so she can include the information in my performance review, but does not need to see all the emails back and forth on the project.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Good call.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You DO know you can set an option to ALWAYS keep a copy in your "sent items" yes, yes?

I hate it when people send to a distribution list AND add a person within that list to the CC field. WTF, yo?

I always BCC a blind person.

18. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

yeah - in business, as micah has mentioned, you should NEVER bcc anymore. cause you never know when you bcc an idiot that replies to all.

always FORWARD.

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, I'm stupid. I can't remember what bcc is. Is that where you cc somebody and that person doesn't know the email was sent to everybody else, or everybody else doesn't know the cc was sent to that person?

20. DaGlide

The latter.