1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do we need Clemens back?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Apr 23, 2006.

?

Should we bring Roger back?

1. Yes - Bring Clemens back

87.4%
  2. No - Young guys are doing fine

12.6%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Watching these young pitchers is making me do the unthinkable, wondering whether or not we really need Roger Clemens back.

Yes, he is possibly the most dominant pitcher of his era, and yes, he was amazing last year. However, he rarely went past 7 innings and was running out of gas often in the 6th inning.

We have some young pitchers that are clearly on the cusp of being really good. Nieve, Wandy, and Bucholz, all of them seem to be capable and need the innings at the big league level to thrive.

Then you throw in Backe etc, and there seems to be very little room for Roger.

Sacralidge? Yes, I know, but do we really need Roger back? In the clubhouse he is undoubtably a big help to the young guys and learning how to pitch and to be aggressive with hitters.

Personally, I would like to see him back, and move Nieve to the bullpen....BUT....I do not want him back beyond June, if the young guys are doing well.

The last thing I want to see is a young pitcher (who is throwing well) moving over for a guy who is probably only here for the last 3 months.

Crazy or not?

DD

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unfortunately, they will need to make a decision while the jury is still out on the starting pitching. So far, it has been great, but it'll take more than 4-5 starts to get a better feel for things.

More than likely it'll be a close race for the division or the wild card. I doubt the Astros want to go into September relying on Rodriguez, Nieve and Bucchholz at this point in time. By July they may be thinking differently.

Backe's injury just causes more uncertainty. He is out for a minimum of 6 weeks and you probably need to add 2-4 weeks to that for a return to starting form. Even then, there is no guarantee he will be effective or useful for the rest of this year.

Today, yes they need Clemens. Come July, it may not be necessary. Unfortunately, if Clemens will pitch this year, he won't wait on the Astros.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'd rather have Lidge as a closer, but an innovative play on words though.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it is sacriledge. Because as much as I'm for the development of young players, you can't say the last thing you want is for him to move over for 3 months of Clemens. Because the ultimate goal is winning the WS. And Clemens starting with one of those guys in the pen is a lot closer to that than otherwise.

Not to mention that we have no clue if any of the young guys will hit a wall after never having gone through a big schedule like this.. whether Nieve can pitch even next week into the later innings.. and whether Backe will be back at all, and healthy at all.

Not sure if anyone saw on ESPN, but Buster Olney just had a breakdown saying he now thinks it'll be the Yanks...because he thinks it'll come down to money now. And he thinks unless Drayton is on the phone with a huge offer as his FIRST offer, Roger will go to the Yanks for more. Because the "family thing" and the "hometown atmosphere" all went out the door and it became a business again when we didn't offer him arbitration.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We need Clemens back, badly.

First off, Nieve hasn't been that impressive. He can easily be replaced. Second, think of the competition the young guys have faced so far. Florida, Washington, Arizona, Pittsburgh. These are four of what will almost certainly be the bottom 10 offenses in all of baseball. It's too small of a sample size. But even if these guys were doing it against great offenses and did it for a longer time, there's still the wall of fatigue that young players inevitably hit.

Furthermore, after Oswalt and Pettitte, Buchholz is the only very good starting pitching talent on this roster. I know, I know... talent isn't everything. But Wandy's got a long way to go - more than 3 or 4 starts - before he can make a believer out of me and most others that he's going to be a very good pitcher at this level with the stuff he has. He can do it - it's not like Andy Pettitte has overwhelming stuff - but it's a big question mark.

Clemens was the best starting pitcher in all of baseball last year. As for his fatigue, consider that he wouldn't be starting until mid-May or later in all likelihood. I'm guessing it would be less. Look at this team for the majority of the season - not just the last couple of days. If we can get one of the best pitchers in baseball to eat lots of innings, we have to take advantage. Our pitching isn't so good that we can turn that down. As for moving a young pitcher for one only here for 3 months... c'mon. That's an argument you use for a developing team, not one you want to win a championship.

My only concern is what we do to the rotation if Backe comes back later this summer. With Clemens it's a no-brainer to adjust the rotation. With Backe? Not so much. With the exception of three postseason starts, he's been mediocre his entire MLB career. If Wandy and Buchholz are still pitching reasonably well and we have the big three, I think it'd be silly to move Backe back to the rotation. But we'll see what Garner does - he's loyal.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I want him back, and Nieve in the bullpen.

If Wandy and Bucholtz are as good as they have played recently, I like em at 4+5. So far our offense has looked at lot better than last April and while Preston Wilson has yet to dazzle me, he has delivered pretty much what I expected from him (feast or famine on the K vs. HR production) and think he's a definite improvement in the OF over what we had last season.

I like our chances this year, and Clemens only makes them better.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

exactly.... clemens gets us considerably closer to being a Championship caliber team, no way around it.

so if the options are (a)having Clemens or (b)not having Clemens, i've got to go with (a) here.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Hopefully Drayton's lack of an arbitration offer didn't screw us over in this whole mess, as Olney is claiming. Drayton should rightfully be the subject of much criticism if so.

Do we need Clemens back? How could you possibly answer no to that question? The guy led the league in ERA last season. You'd rather stick with Nieve and Bucholtz based on a month's worth of performance? Pfft. It will be interesting to see how the young guys hold up now that people have seen their stuff. Their second time to face teams should be a more difficult test.

By the way - Clemens has acted like a little b!tch in this whole process, as well. How hard is it to make a decision one way or the other?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

See,

I think Drayton told Roger he was going to do this, and I think Roger agreed with it.

Otherwise, why would he not have signed already?

I think he is waiting on the Astros, and ONLY the Astros........

I think Clemens signs in early May, I just am not sure we need him any longer.

DD

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Would I like Clemens back? Sure.

Do we need Clemens back? Dont think so.

Last September, Clemens posted a 5.40 ERA and was just as mediocre in the playoffs...we closed out the regular season strong and made it to the effin world series with his lackluster performances. That leads me to believe that this team is still championship quality with or without him, especially with Taylor stepping up like he has been. I think he will continue to be solid throughout the season. If Clemens wants to come back, I'd happily welcome him. If he doesnt, good for him...we will still be players come October.

11. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

We're off to a very good start. Nice way to begin the year.

Have we played anybody? Uhhh, no.

Should we bring Roger back? Yes. Without a doubt.

Not only that, once again, we'll have to be a "buyer" & not a "seller" if still in it around the trading deadline. & it BETTER NOT be Burke that is sold.

I'd trade Wilson before Burke.

What's his effing problem? :p

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Barry Zito, welcome to Houston.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

No kidding...shouldn't old Drayton have a good bit of cash laying around that he could have spent on Clemens? If we don't get Clemens back and fail to make a big splash in the free agent/trade market, I'll be upset.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Roger is Roger which means he is now the dodger. He keeps dodging 'commitment' as tho his whole legacy is on the line.

And, in a way, that's what I see. Clemens' legacy on the line.

Does he retire and honor his mother's last wish?
    Does he do the Nolan redux and take the express to Arlington? I just cannot see him going that route.
    Does he go to Boston and take over from Cy Young as the Red Sox' #1 all time winner? And thoroughly po his NY love base?
    Does he return to Ft Steinbrenner, The Bronx, and go for the gold while doing to New England what going to Fenway would do to the Apple?
    I just cannot see him going the East Coast way.
    So, Roger, it is Houston. As an Astro or a retiree.

That's what 'logic' says to me. That's my reasoning. And it would be apt for anyone in Roger's 'predicament' ... except for Roger Clemens, of course.

BTW - I voted that he is needed at MMP. Because he is.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I think we need him.

Can we make the playoffs without him? Maybe, but I don't want to just make the playoffs ...I want to win the championship and I'd feel much better in the playoffs with him on the mound.

Can this current team get hot win in the playoffs? Yes, since anyone can get hot and win a series.. but I'd prefer to have as much talent as possible as well.

I feel more comfortable with Roger on the mound during the World Series than a rookie.. even if Roger may not have had best world series last year

Either way, I'm happy that we've gotten off to a good start.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Clemens brings us closer to a championship than the team we have now. As good as the young guys have been, a rotation of Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens, Wandy and Buchholz is better than Oswalt, Pettite, Wandy, Buchholz and Nieve. Ideally a rotation of Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens, Backe and (Wandy or Buchholz) with (Wandy or Buchholz), Nieve, Springer, Qualls, Wheeler and Lidge in the pen would be even better since you wouldn't even have to go to guys like Astacio and Miller and Gallo.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Uhhh, this isn't college football. We've played the same teams we played last year when we were 15 games below .500 and 2-21 on the road.

We're supposed to beat the teams we're supposed to beat, which is exactly what we're doing and exactly what we didn't do the first half of the season last year. That's how you win your division and get back to the WS. We don't have impress any BCS computers.

Anyway, I hope we bring him back, but I'm not going to slit my wrists if we don't. Can you imagine a rotation of Oswald/Pettite/Clemens/Buchholz/Wandy, assuming Wandy and Taylor keep at their current pace?

18. Buck Turgidson

Purp has said repeatedly that they've targeted the upcoming offseason to be a significant one. Clemens/Pettitte/Bagwell (close to $50M) off the books. Oswalt's extension & a re-signed Pettitte will hopefully eat a chunk out of that, as will raises for a few other players.

The Stros will have spots to fill in LF & in the rotation.

Carlos Lee is the ideal target.

Zito's supposedly determined to go to either NY team in the offseason. Beane's said that he doesn't expect to deal him (he wants 3 good young players, said it's unlikely that someone will meet his demands).

I would much, much prefer they try & sign Mulder away from STL. (Suppan & Marquis are also FA's...will be an interesting offseason for the Cards as well).

Back to the subject at hand: you can never, ever, ever have too much pitching. All signs are indicating Clemens will sign, will spend about a month in Lex w/ Koby, and will start his first game w/ the Stros during the June 2-11 homestand.

19. toby

toby Member

yes . . . without a doubt

he could be the type of influence on the young little hurlers that could propell them to the next level . . . just with his presence. I don't care if he's pitching every ten days, in the bull pen, or two inning a start, on the IL, or playing in the outfield . . . he needs to be on this team.

that being said, if he goes else where, the stros will have a chance to prove themselves. I still think around the country, fans think the only reason the stros were any good the past few years was roger (they might have a point). If he leaves for good, its time for Houston to step out of the Rocket's shadow and prove they can win it with out daddy holding thier hand.

20. toby

toby Member