1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do u think houston could be good for webber?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, May 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

hey guys i just read there already been riffs with A.I. and webber and he said hes willing to take a pay cut to play elsewhere.so what do u guys think?truthfully im not really much of a webber fan but he could be an option.i just think hes just to soft and seems like a concer to a team but i wondering what ever you guys think......

2. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

webber with the rockets would be pretty interesting... if he can make his outside shots.

3. Jaef

Jaef Contributing Member

I would NOT want Webber on this team. He is a career underacheiver who brings his team down. Big time negative.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Please make some realistic claims. Webber makes more money than T-Mac. I am not a mathematician, but I don't think you can have three max contracts on one team (unless you play 3 on 5)

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You can't just "take a paycut." What do you think this is, football? ;)

I think that there's no chance in Hell that he's coming here, and regardless of if Houston is good for Webber, Webber would not be good for Houston

6. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Where did you read this stuff about Webber? Link?

7. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

yea he would have to be waived,thats the only way we would be getting him.i didnt know his contract status.its the front story of realgm.com.he told a friend that iverson dribbles too much and he cant play with him.he said he would take a pay cut to play elsewhere.the 76ers are not goin to waive him and he was prob talkin out of his you know what and hes just frusturated lol !

8. macfan

juwan howard is a better player than Webber at this point in their career. Have you seen Webber Play? He doesn't rebound and he doesn't play any defense. I feel sorry for him. He's playing on one leg.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Webber will always drag his drama Queen baggage where ever he goes. He's an unspoken cancer.

10. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

Oh, no. please say no to Webber.

11. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Hold up guys! Why don't we take a "time out" and seriously consider this...oh, 'cause we don't have any left.

12. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Webber, but you can "take a paycut" IIRC, OT did it help us keep/get someone around '94-'95. I know it's not common, as most players are more concerned about themselves, but if you can renegotiate a contract upwards, why not downwards (if both parties are willing)?

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Actually, I think you can restructure your contract if both parties agree to.

I would say no to Webber just because of his contract, but if he could come for cheaper, he would be a nice fit. Webber is still a 20 & 10 PF that has the best mid-range jumper of any big man in the league.

14. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Webber shoots to damn much. 'Nuff said.

15. macfan

Contracts are guaranteed in the NBA, they're never restructured. They're restructured only if the player/coach likes the added benefit. Like when the Spurs restructured Popovich's contract and extended it for 2 more years. Why would Webber take a paycut? He has a contract with the Sixers

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

No, you can't.

Because all NBA contracts are guaranteed, there are some restrictions in place in the Collective Bargaining Agreement when it comes to renegotiation. The important rule is that you cannot renegotiate a player’s salary downward. What commonly happens in the NFL is that a player’s upcoming annual base salaries will be drastically cut, but he will in turn receive a large up-front cash payment as a signing bonus. This gives the team some cap relief, and the player also benefits. In the NFL, players are often willing to do this because their annual salaries aren’t guaranteed.

Some agents like to say the only “real” money in an NFL contract is the signing bonus, because it’s the only money a player knows for certain he can bank. With very rare exception, NBA players know they’re going to be paid the full balance of their contracts, so there is no potential benefit to renegotiate downward. And even if they wanted to do so to help out a team’s salary cap situation, it wouldn’t be allowed.

The only way to restructure an NBA contract to make it more cap-friendly would involve a buyout.

#16 dharocks, May 15, 2005
    Last edited: May 15, 2005
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wrong answer when paired with The Answer.

If $$$ were not an issue, but it is, it is, I would happily add CWebb.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

No Webber, I prefer Kidd

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

even we got a 50% discount for Webber it'd still be in the $7~8Mil. range. I'd rather pay that amount to Dalembert or $4.5Mil. to Marc Jackson.

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Absolutely not on this Wolverine loser. This guy is the biggest turd at chrunch time in the history of the NBA.

And he only has one working knee. And unless theres some Million Dollar Man procedure I dont know about he's still gonna have only 1 working knee left next season.