1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do black people get a pass when it comes to racism?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, May 21, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Tulsi Gabbard calls on Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot to resign for 'anti-Whiteness'

Former Democratic Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard accused Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Friday of harboring anti-White racism and called for her to step down over her remarks this week about the city's media landscape.

In a tweet, Gabbard, a one-time Democratic presidential candidate from Hawaii, also called on President Joe Biden and other leaders to join her.

"Mayor Lightfoot's blatant anti-white racism is abhorrent," she wrote. "I call upon President Biden, Kamala Harris, and other leaders of our county—of all races—to join me in calling for Mayor Lightfoot's resignation. Our leaders must condemn all racism, including anti-white."

In a series of tweets on Wednesday, Lightfoot noted that the Chicago City Hall press corps is "overwhelmingly White in a city where more than half of the city identifies as Black, Latino, AAPI or Native American."

"This is exactly why I'm being intentional about prioritizing media requests from POC reporters on the occasion of the two-year anniversary of my inauguration as mayor of this great city," she further stated.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tulsi-gabbard-chicago-lori-lightfoot-anti-white

tinman likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Her wife white, though.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

First off, racism is a loaded word. There's a school of thought that racism is only exercised by authorities or people in power. That ambiguity or muddled message allows some minority groups to dance around their messaging. Even if people of color aren't "racist" they sure as hell can be discriminatory and say bigoted things.

That's mostly the "pass" debated, where it inherently asks whether people of color have suffered so much **** that they're due when they give some of that **** back to a relative degree.

On some level, when we start comparing griefs as a way to minimize or brush off the aggrieved, it becomes a form of gas lighting (lighen up or walk it off!) and fuels a vicious cycle.

On the other hand, when accounts of past injustices are whitewashed or outright buried, how can we start to heal as a collective society?

I know for sure that double standards aren't the answer.

Ideally, we should work hard to set the table for the next generation so that they don't have to deal with our baggage, but that's usually not how people work. We're more self centered than probably any other generation before us. With children, we try to teach and pass down the lessons and scars we've learned or earned, but only a fool would assume we only pass down the good values.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So it's racist to merely state that a district or city that has a majority of Black and Hispanic residents compared to white residents while having a majority white city council is frustrating?

If that is the basis of calling the person racist, that seems rather extreme. Is there some other comment they made that would make that claim more worthy that I don't know?

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's racist to state you'll only do one on one interviews with other people of color period. Imagine if an ExxonMobil or Apple HR rep said the same...

Nook, pgabriel, tinman and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yes, they clearly do get a pass if the racism is directed at white people. Not as much of a pass if it’s directed at non white people. All races are allowed to go hard at white people, even white people go hard at white people. It is what it is.

#6 Tomstro, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  7. MexAmercnMoose

welcome to our world, the world of a minority...not too bad once you get used to it LOL
    anybody can be racist

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

doesn’t bother me. If someone says something racist, I know they’re an idiot.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is that the racist part?

If the statement was as follows, I would support it. I see it as helping to have different perspectives from the media being expressed, which is a good thing in my book. The fact is your race, or more importantly, your culture shapes your perspective, and trying to get more race or culture involved helps open up elective officials to more perspective.

In a series of tweets on Wednesday, Lightfoot noted that the Chicago City Hall press corps is "overwhelmingly Black in a city where more than half of the city identifies as White."

"This is exactly why I'm being intentional about prioritizing media requests from White reporters on the occasion of the two-year anniversary of my inauguration as mayor of this great city," she further stated.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can anyone answer this? She just made an obvious and data-supported statement on demographics. I don't see the racism part, I mean... at all.

Statements about race are not automatically "racist."

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Why do you think this is the case? I've heard lots of white people say this. I'm not trying to lead a conversation anywhere I'm genuinely curious.

Interestingly, I find it's like pulling teeth to have substantive race related conversations with white friends but relatively easy to discuss with mere acquaintances of any other race. I used to think it was just me but I know a lot people who have a similar experience. And, it doesn't matter if it's a Trump guy or a super woke liberal it's like we're speaking different languages when it comes to race.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Government officials can say anything or harass anyone without checks and balances
    There’s no HR department like she’s working at JC Penny

corporations are better than government
    They have standards

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It's been nice avoiding this forum and avoiding stupid conversations like this

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Racism in a paradoxical concept. On one hand, it means preferential or disadvantaged treatment according to someone’s race. But anti-racism is about taking steps to counter systemic racism, and these steps generally entail treating people in a preferential or disadvantaged manner according to their race.

As a result, we get these debates where some people are convinced a particular behavior is racism and others are convinced it’s not.

To me, it’s a terminology problem. The word “racism” has been overloaded to mean different things.

Amiga likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t think she’s very popular in Chicago
    She has to make some publicity to show she’s got some strength and a message for the Black community there
    Which isn’t doing well at all
    That’s looking at it at a higher level
    @rocketsjudoka

17. tinman

Supporting Member

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

By going hard do you mean founding entire systems and institutions whose founding charters explicitly state their benefit for non-whites only, banning whites wholesale from entire life events like marriage, property ownership, filing lawsuits or reproducing with consenting adults of their choice, making literal human pinatas and bonfires out of whites falsely accused of rape or not stepping aside for non-whites walking on the same street.

Invisible Fan, Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You live in the biggest echo chamber on this forum. Not saying I have any issue with your post or this topic, but it must be scary and sad to live your life this way.

scouring the internet for sources that can palliate your views and anxiety from anything calling it into question

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

TheresTheDagger, Nook and B-Bob like this.