1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Dish network or Direct tv?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lonestar28, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Just bought a new house and I cannot decide which one of these I should use. I don't really care about the NFL Sunday package and cable is definitely out.

I mainly watch the HD channels. Which one would you recommend and why?

ps- uverse is not an option.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have DirecTV but ONLY because of NFL Sunday Ticket. I have heard Dish is better.

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Dish network is wayyyyy better. All Direct tv has is the Sunday Ticket.

I have dish at home and direct where I work so I get to watch both on a daily basis.

4. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I just watch the Texans game and whatever games are televised in Houston.

Dish has a pretty good deal right now with the 4 free receivers and free installation.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

They have a better selection of channels. I have the spanish programming as well so I can watch tons of futbol. I don't have an HDTV yet, so I have no idea how it would look, but the HD channels on direct tv at work are nothing to get excited about.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what is better for a sports bar?

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

When I got my satellite installed, the installer said that DirecTV customers on average are happier with their service than Dish Network subcribers. He said that he takes down way more Dish Network Sats than he does DirecTV sats. although that was 5yrs ago.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have never used Dish. I have Direct TV and I'm very happy with it. I can't really compare the two though.

9. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

dish works fine for me. a month ago dish pretty much added all the hd channels directv was bragging about.

i think it's 30 for the top 100 + 10 for HD version of the channels in your package.

as far as quality: compared to cable, the SD channels are horrible. luckily i only watch HD.

dish also has "HD only" package for 30 i think.

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

I never had Dish Network but I am very satisfied with Direct TV. If you want the Sunday Ticket it is exclusively on Direct TV.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im an installation tech for DTV and also do service work for Dish. On the installation side, I strongly prefer DTV.

Both treat their customers as burdens. Once you're locked into that contract, expect no favors.

DTV has NFL ticket and more HD channels.

Dish is said to be cheaper.

Dish will be lighting up a new satellite here very shortly to make up for their lack of HD, but DTV will be lighting up a new one at the end of 3rd quarter to increase their HD lead, not to mention its rumored they will be launching an additional one next year. Also, I find most DTV customers pretty satisfied with their product.

My suggestion: Pick one and stick with them for two years, then switch to the others. Keep moving back and forth every couple years to get the best deal.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

One thing to note, if your hooking up more than 1 TV, and need mutiple receivers, stick with Dish Network, they have boxes where they can hookup 2 TVs each, and only charge you $5 for every box, with Direct TV, they charge you $5 PER receiver, which theres can only hookup 1 TV each.

I've had Dish Network for less than a year, not bad, their Customer Service sucks, and be sure to keep up to date with your rebate if you get one and make sure the deal your getting requires a contract or not.

btw, are you in area that doesn't have Comcast or U-Verse? I'm out here in Manvel off of 288/Highway 6 and my only options were Satellite. I'd prefer Comcast since we would've probably gotten the Triple Play deal, but its some other craptastic provider which I don't think I'd even get my Rockets games on :(

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

What's the process if you already have Dish and want to add HD? Do you need a new receiver, box, or just new card? Or can they just activate over the phone? I have Time Warner right now but am moving back to Houston and don't want to deal with Comcast.

14. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I had Dish Network for several years - then switched over to Direct TV and have had that for the last 1.5 years just b/c I was sick of going to a buddy's house to watch NFL games on Sunday... I finally wanted to watch them in my own living room... so DirectTV was the right call for me.

Now I swear by NFL Sunday Ticket...

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

we have direct tv and they cut back on a lot of basic cable channels. it pisses me off, but we stick with them.

16. Lil Pun

Like, which ones? I have been with them for less than a year.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well one in particular is Sleuth, a kind of obscure channel but I used to watch it because the show reruns of "Homicide"

18. Lil Pun

My mom loves that show. I haven't really noticed any cutbacks but like I said I have been with them for less than a year and the only reason I am with them is for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have DirecTv and love it. It is unquestionably better than Cox Cable(I live in GA). I couldn't imagine switching. Just don't let them talk you into that stupid service protection. I haven't had problems with my dish at either house, aside from an incorrect install they had to come redo. On my first install the guy ran new phone lines and cable jacks through my house so I could put my Tvs where I actually wanted them.