1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DIRECTV w/ Off-Air HD Tuner & Antenna

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Dec 11, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Is there anyone here using this setup for their local channels? The DirecTV AM21n tuner (which connects to your DVR and gives you full Guide and DVR capabilities with off-air channels) can be purchased for about $60 and a decent indoor antenna can be purchased for about the same price.

I've been noticing that my local channels have a noticeably lower picture quality then the "cable channels". And I've always heard that OTA channels have better quality due to them not having all the extra compression that cable and satellite companies use.

Just wanted to check and see if anybody here has used this setup before. I'd be connecting it to a Genie hr34 DVR. I only live about 35 mile NE of the city, so I'm sure I'd get reception just fine. If not, then I'd just resell it all on eBay.

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

My parents have an HR-34 and their local channels look great. I'd perhaps try getting a new STB before doing all of that.

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yeah, I've got a Genie and I've never had an issue picking up locals channels.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've been told January 1st all channels will be scrambled and that will not be possible any longer

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Source or link? It better not be a hobo down the street from your house. :eek: