1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dion Waiters disappears with "illness"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 17, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Member

He turned a Dion Waiters thread into a platform to discuss how Lin was being mishandled. He then proceeded to prop him for handling it so admirably

It's absurd. This has absolutely nothing to do with Harden or Lin.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fraid not. Need to keep the NBA Dish a Lin-free Zone to prevent the insanity/lunacy from spilling over from the GARM.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Read his first post. He said nothing about being mishandled. He said it happens to a lot of nba teams. And when Lin lost his starting spot he has not been quoted or had a negative reaction in any way. And I agree that is respectable.

And then you have multiple people jump down his throat.

Put it this way if some lin fan annoys me in a thread by being unreasonable or not being a fan of the rockets (it has happened) so be it

As far as this thread all the people complaining about him is in fact more annoying to me then what he initially said. And after that point he is just defending his statement and opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

exactly

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Thanks guys for the support. I'm really sorry if it seems like I wanted to hijack the thread. I know now who's Voldemort of Dish.

To get back on topic...Cavs lost today against Celtis, which probably means they hit the low point of the season, but Waiters got 34 minutes despite coming off the bench and had team-high 21 points. It seems like he embraced the role. Btw, he was -3 while other starters were ranged from -17 to -24. Starters basically dug a -18 hole in first quarter and the bench tried to rescue them (Bennett even had +10 with unimpressive stat line and 19 minutes).

Cleveland is in serious disarray and I wonder if trading Waiters will solve the problem.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Waiters was 8-10 from the field for 20 points on Saturday.

[youtube]KPcE32bKPtE[/youtube]

I don't know if he'll be a locker room problem his whole career and his shooting percentages haven't been great (small sample size from three this year has been good, however), but he's only 21 (about to turn 22). Still, any time a high lotto pick is "disappointing" in some way, Jordan Hill, Terrence Williams, Jonny Flynn and Thomas Robinson come to mind.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

^ wow, from those highlights it looks like he wants to be featured on a team more than anything.

I'd imagine the Cavs will only flip him for picks or young talent since they essentially pegged him as their SG of the future by passing on Oladipo.

8. FearTheBeardJH

When did Oladipo become the best SG of all time? He is having a disappointing rookie season for a 3 year college player. More dynamic Tony Allen, low loterry prospect in a normal draft IMO.

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Isn't Oladipo trying to learn PG position? I guess he can't have great stats playing out of his natural position.

@shastarocket: Oladipo was in 2013 class, while Waiters has been in one before. Cavs passed on Lillard, Barnes and Drummond. Lillard would of course be redundant with Irving, but Drummond?

Oh wait, I see what you mean. Because they had Waiters, they passed on Oladipo...Anyway, they could have Irving, Drummond/Barnes, Porter/Oladipo and Valančiunas. No wonder LeBron left the town and isn't coming back...

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Because he is.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

deleted : edit

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

I agree that early returns regard MCW as the ROY as opposed to Oladipo (or Bennet, lol). Like Koperboy mentioned, some of this is from Oladipo playing PG. I would also argue that some of this is from Orlando, initially, choosing not to feature Oladipo like most high picks.

Now that he is starting, Oladipo has demonstrated improvement in nearly every stat. The best part of this growth is his drop in USG% from 28.7 as a reserve to 23.5 as a starter, meaning he can contribute off the ball.

Contrast this with Waiters whose stats were worse as a starter with a USG% of 25.4 vs. 29.9 as a reserve. Meaning, Waiters does much better when the offense flows through him.

Considering all this, I'd argue that Oladipo would be a much better complementary player to Kyrie. In a league with a dearth of top tier SGs, Tony Allen defense + explosive athleticism + an actual offensive game, wouldn't be such a bad thing.

13. basketballholic

Don't know if Waiters is a fit here. All that shake and bake crossovers to get a long 20 footer...that ain't us.

14. King1

King1 Member

Waiters reminds me of Vinnie Johnson

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

He could be like a lesser Jamal Crawford

Just his creativity, but he could be equally as effective

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing relationship improving btwn Kyrie &amp; D Waiters. Even more importantly, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert likes/wants to keep Waiters</p>&mdash; Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/statuses/410073557692329984">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

"sources"

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

Trade Talk: Dion Waiters Wants out of Cleveland, Prefers Philly — and More
    [rquoter]It's no secret that the Cleveland Cavaliers have been shopping second-year shooting guard Dion Waiters, and the latest update, according to two sources who spoke with Bleacher Report, is that the Chicago Bulls and Philadelphia 76ers have emerged as the top two suitors. And both are realistic destinations based on trade assets and financial complements.

According to a source close to Waiters, he "wants out" of Cleveland and "prefers to go to Philly because he thinks he'd be the best player on the team. That's his mindset."

...[/rquoter]

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I can see him playing with Philly it would be a perfect fit for him IMO

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

With James Harden's high ankle sprain, I'd love to get Waiters as part of the Asik trade. Once Harden is healed up, Waiters would be a great 6th man and our bench would have multiple scoring options.