1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Didn't pan out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vengeance, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Through the Rockets' seasons, there have been dozens of players who we all were really hoping would become great additions to the team, players who could maybe go on to become all-stars, and had potential that went totally unfulfilled. Who are you disappointed didn't pan out for the Rockets?

for me:

<b>Rodrick Rhodes</b> - He really played pretty well his season here, but he never improved. Rodrick could get to the basket as well as anyone, but just couldn't finish the play. He had great court-vision, and could pass really well. His biggest talent though, was in his defense. Rodrick could shut down the best of them. I'm sure we all remember his 2 steals of Michael Jordan . . . If only he'd panned out for this club. I guess he had attitude problems, and we were able to trade him away for some more useful pieces, but imagine if he'd actually gotten a shot . . . wow!

<b>Mirsad Turckan</b> - Never played a game in a Rockets uniform, but I really wish he had, and that he'd become the player that Rudy and CD envisioned: GREAT shooter and tough rebounder. It's too bad we passed on Rashard Lewis for him, but we'd all be praising Rudy right now if Mirsad had worked out . . .

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always wondered about Rhodes too. Actually I think it's a testament to Rudy. He's one in the long list of players that produced well under Rudy, that other coaches weren't able to get that much out of and he might have had a different career had he stayed here and developed under Rudy.

Just look at Eddie Griffin developing way ahead of schedule.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Brent Price

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This guy is the epitomy of this thread...

Scott Pippen.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Glen Rice, one of the worst Rocket deals ever; once an outstanding offensive talent, could explode for 40 on any given night, now can't run, can't shoot, can't jump, career over, still sucking money from the team.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Thomas Hamilton

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

He's had one season where he struggled to get through injuries and you write him off? Sheesh, at least let him get healthy and give him a chance to prove himself.

I have to agree with many of the other choices, however.

8. cometsluv4play

that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

9. Asian Sensation

He's had one season where he struggled to get through injuries and you write him off? Sheesh, at least let him get healthy and give him a chance to prove himself.

Glens washed up.... He will never ever be half as good as he used to be. It's just to hard for a player like Rice who was never really athletic to begin with and to have all these leg problems it's really tough.

10. cometsluv4play

you know, at the begining of the season i would have agree with you whole heartedly, but another poster made me realize that this Glen Rice trade even if Glen doens't come back.....is still a good one. personally, i'm not ready to write Glen off just yet, we are still taking about a 34, ok 35 year old man next year. He is still a young man....i know, i know basketball years are different, but look at MJ, i know Rice is not in that great a shape, but Charles Barkley he ain't. Glen may never be the Hornet we all knew and loved, but i think he has a little left in the tank, just like Jordan.

if he doesn't.....i can't remember the numbers exactly, so capologist feel free to elaborate at will, but we got plenty of compensation for Rice in cash from both New York and Dallas which even though his contract takes up space,...it did not come from Les's pocket or our books. i think i remember someone posting here ( i don't remember the thread sorry, if you do...post it again ) in the end Rice is only really costing us about 20 mil for three years even though his contract takes up 28 in cap space for two more years after this one. by contrast, Shandon's contract was for 38 million for six years costing every penny along the way. worst case senerio, he is an expensive Bullard, but he's gone in two years........we'd be stuck with Anderson for 4 more years.

if Rice comes back healthy next year,.....we got a steal.....it was a win/win situation...imho.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The only stealing that will be done in the Glen Rice trade is by Rice stealing money. Also not only didn't the Pippen trade work when we got him, we got corkscrewed when we traded him for nothing. We also let Tracy Murray go for nothing. Seeing the way Rudy likes shooters and almost drafted him, it was no way I thought they would let him go for nothing after the Drexler trade.

12. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Where does Mirsad play today?

obviously, he did not work out for anyone, so the Rashard thing looks really interesting now...

13. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Buck Johnson, Matt Maloney

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Randy Livingston-he had the skills, but his body just couldn't take the wear and tear after a college injury.

15. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'm with Smokey on Two Sandwiches... The guy was a MONSTER... I remember going to a game where we played the Jazz and the guy got a horrendous dunk on EVERYBODY. It didn't even seem like he was trying...

Another guy that comes to mind is Stanley Roberts. If only those giants could be motivated, Shaq would be history.

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Brent Price, too... The guy tore it up in Washington before doing the same to his knee.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Steve Harris. We passed on Terry Porter to get Harris because he was a super marksman in college, something Fitch wanted to help the twin towers. We also had John Lucas at the time, so we didn't need a point guard. Little did we know Harris would suck and Lucas would inhale. Porter would have been a great addition to the twin towers.

18. haven

haven Member

Bryce Drew. yea, yeah... I know, many would say that Rudy picked him solely for The Shot.

But I don't believe that. Sometimes, after Drew would hit a little running floater in the lane, it really looked like he could be an excellent PG. I never thought he'd be an all-star, but I saw him as "the next" Terrell Brandon if he lived up to his potential. And there are far worse things than Brandon's unholy assist/turnover ratio. Remember those games when Francis was out during his rookie year? Drew started four consecutive games, or something, and has 20+ in two of them along with quite a few assists. Some people were even saying he was a better point than Francis. While I wouldn't say that... there was a great deal of "pure point" potential, imo.

Drew had a good shot, a nice floater, and decent ball skills. I'm still not sure why he never worked out. I guess his inability to play defense hurts him... as does his fragile frame. With the right coach, I do think he could fill the role that Moochie does for Houston admirably.

19. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Drew is starting to turn it around in Charlotte however

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Scottie Pippen.