1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did we really want the playoffs anyway?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gascon, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

I love the Rockets.

Let that fact not be brought into question.

And I have seen the Rockets do some absolutely amazing things, most noteably in their second championship run...

And I do not believe in tanking games, so do not misunderstand me...

But looking at it from a completely logical, detached point of view...

At this point in the season, when all we have is an outside shot at a likely early exit in the first round of the playoffs...and a draft pick from Vancouver being the price of admission...

Do we really even want to be in the playoffs?

I hate being in the lottery as much as the next guy, but come on people, that's where we need to be right now. We still don't have all of the pieces. We still don't have the maturity.

We need to concentrate on acquiring those pieces, not hurting our ability to make that happen.

Don't tank the games. But by all means, get guys playing time. Find out who really wants to be a part of our growth as a championship contender. Don't kill ourselves and risk injury just so we can usher San Antonio onto another title run.

Guys, as a Rockets fan...I'm dying right now. Not being in the playoffs sucks.

But from a completely logical, detached point of view...I have to tell you, I'm kind of relieved.

Bring on the offseason.

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

2. Achebe

Achebe Member

Nah we don't want the playoffs... only winners play in the playoffs. The 'loser' stigma of being the lottery is enveloping. It's warm like a huge down comforter.

------------------
    (===)

3. vj23k

vj23k Member

Umm. Yes.

Shouldn't even be mentioned on this board.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

4. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

No, I don't want the playoffs. I want Shane Battier.

Francis, Moochie
    Cat, SA
    Battier, Langhi
    Mo T, Los
    Antonio Davis, anybody but Cato

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Clippers are a fine example of not making the playoffs.

Of course we WANT to make it, but we won't.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

6. DJ

DJ Member

Kelvin Cato will remain a Houston Rockets' player! Cato gives the Rockets athleticism, size, defense and a terrific shot-blocker. Cato is the future starting center for this team. You also forgot Hakeem Olajuwon and Jason Collier at that center position. Hakeem Olajuwon will resign with the Rockets. He will lead this team to the playoffs next season. Jason Collier would be a backup for Olajuwon and Cato. Collier showed his skills early this season. Collier made outside shots, he hustle, he played defense and he is a very solid scorer. Remember earlier this season Collier had games where he scored 10 points in just 10 minutues.

------------------

7. heypartner

heypartner Member

yes i did...you ratbastid.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 31, 2001).]

8. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

DJ, are you feeling well?

------------------

9. Behad

Behad Member

Nevermind.....
    ------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited April 01, 2001).]

10. Digaida

Digaida Member

For me, it's always been a win/win situation when you look at this season.

We make the playoffs and get good experience from being there.

Or

We miss the playoffs, keep our pick(s), and are able to add pieces to the puzzle.

I desperately want the Rockets in the playoffs, but I also want to see some major growth. Even more exciting than if the Rockets got in the playoffs, are the moves they will make in the offseason, the draft, the new pieces and parts they add to get to "contender" status.

------------------

11. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Gascon, we need to make the playoffs. I really feel this group of guys deserve a chance to compete for the ultimate prize. When you have a coach like Rudy T., and player like Hakeem Olajuwon, who have both been to the top of the mountain before, teamed alongside guys like Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, many wonderful things can happen. If you remember, Houston's last championship ride began with extreme turbulence before reaching that mountain for a second time. So I think it's only fair that these Rockets are given a chance to catch Godspeed, once agian, at just the right time before reaching that mountain for a third time.

------------------

12. Band Geek Mobster

This team doesn't deserve the playoffs more than any other team in the league. They have to earn their way into the playoffs and in all honesty they haven't. They've lost 4 of their last 5 games. They don't deserve anything, especially since they've blown many many many chances to take the 8th spot already.

------------------
    Houston's Schedule: (39-33)
    @Was, @NJN, Dal, Sea, Atl, @Uth, Den, @Por, @Van, Min

Minnesota's Schedule: (42-30)
    @Por, Por, Pho, LaL, @Van, @LaL, @LaC, Uth, @Hou, @Dal

We're not mathematically elimated yet.

13. DieHard Rocket

I assure you the best thing for this team is to MAKE the playoffs. Even if we did get swept in the first round, it would be a huge step and great experience for the team.

Let me put it this way: If we somehow make the playoffs this year and gain some kind of experience, the LESS likely we are to lose in the first round next year.

If we make the playoffs this year, then that may be a year sooner that we get back to the finals. The Rockets need to get their feet wet.

I also think it is a win-win situation for the Rockets whether they make the playoffs or not, but I am looking down the road toward the championship. And I think playoff experience will help us more to get there than the draft picks we get. Whether we make it or not, we will have a productive offseason.

------------------

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

As a fan, definitely.

Also, playoffs equals the acquisition of playoff experience...something the Rockets' young players need, regardless of how they perform in the playoffs.

------------------