1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Did Morey get played like a fool?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRowdy111, Jun 29, 2007.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

It seems to me, that Morey got the rookie shaft on draft night. Not only did he pass on good yound PF's like McRoberts, Davis, and Splitter, but he also failed to bring in a vet PF through trade. As a life-long fan, I must say that i thought some of the needs would be addressed last night at the draft. I think CD would have made some better decisions on giving the fans hope that things would fall in place. Now, as a Rockets fan, I have less faith that our roster will shape up the way I pictured. The PG glut has to be solved soon, just to give the fans a feeling of ease as the new season approaches.

And just to add on to that, I heard ESPN report Steve Francis will be boughtout from the Blazers. In a dream off-season, he would return home to Houston....but with a gazillion PGs on the roster I really can't even get excited about that either.

GET A PF ASAP just to give the fans a little optimism on all the immediate changes to the GM, Coach, staff, and roster. I feel out of touch with the team.

I'm hardly wet from the Splash!

2. RedRowdy111

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this moneyball NBA Algebra is crap...teams with good bigs do well, i dont need a protractor for that!

3. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

There will defintely be moves made. Don't judge a book by it's cover,one day isn't the whole summer,there is plenty of time to make moves that the team needs.Patience

4. RedRowdy111

Patience was never my strong quality.

I just think we witnessed alot of other Western conf. teams get stronger as we marinated in our PG sauce. As a Rockets fan, that is hard to swallow. i just want to see one big guy besides Yao under contract.

We have 0 PFs on the roster and only 1 Center (yao)...WTF???

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I"m trying hard, but can't seem to process how your life-long dedication to the Rockets equates to you being so sure of what they were going to do on a random draft night.

steve francis is not the answer to the Rockets problems. I don't see how drafting Aroon Brooks changes anything in regards to our ability / desire to sign Francis. I just don't think we were going to do it before and don't think we will now.

Give Morey more than 1 month before you make judgements. The team hasn't been out of the first round in over a decade. Regardless of what Chad Ford thinks, maybe Morey has more of a clue than it seems...

I vote use of the Splash! is retired. It is at least a few seasons old now. We hardly ever use maybe, maybe no anymore, and Sura faints is quickly dissapearing. There are apparently new cool sayings on this board....like hispanic?

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

damn RedRowdy111,

let the man get fomfotable first.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Didn't Morey say that he was going to address the PF position after July 1. Should we wait to see if McRoberts and Splitter etc even make if off the bench in the next couple of years. How about waiting until we see what Aaron Brooks can do this summer.

8. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

can someone explain the use of "Splash!" to me please? i have a general idea what it is for but i'm not sure of its origin.

9. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

Morey is a rookie, he should have been on the bench.

10. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

He was when working with JVG

11. AGBee

AGBee Member

splash!

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

yep, Portland outwitted us again ... I think Patterson is getting some payback to his old team.

Last year, Brandon Roy, this year Rudy Fernandez/Ike Diogu

Dang, Portland has really drafted incredible the last 2 years.
    last year: Aldridge, Roy, Rodriguez
    this year: Oden, Fernandez, McRoberts, Green, Byers, Nichols ... geez.

dang, wish Patterson was back here running the show ... of course, it helps to have Allen empowering you, instead of Les getting cheap, unless its a big showy name.

It'll be interesting to see if Portland actually buys out Francis' contract. I bet they'll do everything they can to trade him, so we don't get him, or else buy him out, with the provision he can't come here ... lol ... who knows. Portland definitely seems to be getting pleasure out of undermining us the last 2 years.

I still don't know why we didn't do the trade with LA for Cook, and grabbed Crittendon, or Fernandez, or Almond, or Jason Smith, or traded for Diogu. I'd rather have Cook and any of those guys, than Head and Brooks.

After listening to Morey a few times, I just don't think he thought we'd be able to use the draft to upgrade our team this year. He's still thinking win now, it seems, and not keeping a longer view of things as well. But, I don't think that's realistic with a new coach.

#12 Sherlock, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  13. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Yep, he is doing it JUST to get back at the Rox...no worries about saving his job or anything

14. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

I feel like Morey got played by believing Aaron Brooks might get picked up late in the first round. I know he's acknowledged as one of the smarter GM's of the league, but why the hell would he think that Aaron Brooks was going to go between picks 27 and 30?? I mean, we got the #31 pick from Seattle and could've used that to take Brooks if Adelman was so high on his speed. I just don't get it. Did we really think Detroit, San Antonio, Phoenix, and Philadelphia would seriously consider taking a below-6ft PG at those spots?? That's how I think Morey got played...

15. ty185

ty185 Member

I believe it was Yao's second off season that Les told everyone that the club is preparing for some major changes and everyone should expect a big SPLASH.

It ended up with Rox trading glen rices and a draft choice to utah for Mr. man boob that summer.

no other trade happened.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Isiah Thomas is 1 inch taller than Brooks.

Some of you guys really make me laugh. Morey made it clear that we weren't drafting a PF with the 26th pick. It's like you guys set yourself up for disappointment.

17. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Yet he made it clear we were going to draft the best player available at that spot.

I know trades and signings and waivings are going to happen to shore us up - but damn. That was the best player available? Now all we are looking forward to is the two for one special on point guards and see what big man we can pick up. And then figure out a solution for a back up five.

aww well. time will show who is brilliant and who is not. It is indeed pull a rabbit out of ass time.

18. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

What are you trying to say by stating the fact that Zeke was short? We all know that and we also know that Brooks is no Zeke of old. Zeke is a Hall of Famer and #2 overall pick of his draft. Aaron Brooks is a #26 pick (and a reach at that!) and he hasn't proved anything outside of the Pac 10. So please don't even start with comparisons of that nature.

You are right about one thing though - we did set ourselves up for disappointment by believing Morey would make a smart move with our first round pick this time around in his first stint as GM. Damn, were we wrong...

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nothing to do with availability, the Rockets flat out didn't like Davis, Fazekas, or McRoberts that much. If Aaron Brooks was guaranteed to be there at 31, they would still have not taken Davis, Fazekas, or McRoberts. They liked Carl Landry more than they did the other 3 PFs.

Splitter, you can make an argument for maybe they like him, but the other three... it was just the fact that they think Landry and Brooks are better for the team than Davis, Fazekas, McRoberts.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dont forget steve brought the nfl to houston. however we messed that up.
    i remember you steve paterson, organizer of heroes!