1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Lebron go from the next Jordan to "need 6 rings to match Pippen"?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by meh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If James doesn't win 6 rings in his career, is there any way you say he's better than Scottie Pippen? Keep in mind, Pippen won 50 games with the Jordan-less Bulls in 94. He was also the leader of Blazers teams that consistently got deep in the playoffs.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Mj also won only 6 rings :confused:

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, MJ never put up the white flag to join Magic or Bird in order to win a ring. Lebron is going to Wade's house, and will forever team up with a player that has one more ring than he does.

In a world where everyone has to be labeled as Batman or Robin, there's no way Lebron's Batman.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Did u see those teams befoe he had pippen and grant? I guess not. He couldn't even get bosh to agree to a sign and trade and 30m extra to stay in cleveland. BTW, didn't i say the extra year was bs?

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Pippen got bounced in the first round

LeBron took a bunch of scrubs to the nba finals and the best record in the league winning 60 plus games the last 2 seasons

lebron could not win a single ring and retire now and he will go out of the nba as a better player than scottie pippen

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Baby James single-handedly beat a rival powerhouse to drag his team to the finals. Pippen was a great player but he could never have done anything like that.

7. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

who was batman and who was robin when the celtics won the title 3 years ago?

garnett or pierce? what was ray allen?

what was shaq when the heat won the title in 06?

what if lebron played with shaq for 3 years while he was still arguably the best center in the league?

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lebron has always been a MUCH better player than Pippen ever was, but you are right, it is Wade's team STILL... 4th quarter, WADE is the closer...

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

wade has always been more clutch than letravel so yeah I'd rather have him taking the last shot.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think you guys have missed the point.

LBJ won't be considered "Legendary"

11. theimpossibles1

LeBron is a clutch defender. The Heat are now LeBron AND Wades team. Accept it.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Now that's he's piggybacking off Wade and Bosh. He is in no way going to be Legendary now...

But he'll still be a HOF and makes billions, so why should he care?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what you're saying is if you let your pride get in the way of winning that automatically makes you a better player regardless of true talent, skills or winning ability?

Lebron gave up his hometown hero status and the adulation of the NY media to make sure he wins. Pippen sulked in the corner and didn't want to get in the game because the last play wasn't drawn for him in a pivotal game and he doesn't become "the man".

Yet LBJ has to win 6 rings to match Pippen because what...he's a fiercer competitor than he is? Kobe would probably kill and beg on his knees if Melo and Chris Paul play for the Lakers next season. Because real competitors keep their eyes on the prize, and not let stuff like being the man or having the biggest jockstrap get in the way.

WINNING IS ALL THAT MATTERS. The fact that you think players who value their pride more than winning tells me your priorities aren't right.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's your point? Chicago TRADED for Pippen. They didn't get Pippen for free because they're freaking Chicago, just like they didn't get Lebron this year because they're freaking Chicago.

Yep. And I will now pretend I never said such things in the first place. But you sir, are correct. ;)

That said, I just want to note that I was mainly referring to Bosh(as those were GARM threads), whom I didn't think would give up the 6th year due to his lack of income elsewhere. Boy, did he prove me wrong. I did believe Lebron or Wade would give a 6th year due to their potentially higher advertising money.

15. theimpossibles1

Bosh and Wade are now piggybacking off LeBron.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think JVG made a good point. LBJ lacks competitive spirit that MJ had. He doesn't want to compete with Wade, instead, he will join Wade. He will regret his decision someday.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, Are Wade and Bosh in Cleveland?

I like Lebron, but he is the one that is piggybacking, as is Bosh.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Pippen is one of the greatest defensive players of all time, and a well-deserved HOFer. That said, LeBron is a 2-time MVP, and he's already proven himself to be a greater player than Pippen ever was. Put LeBron in place of Pippen on that 1994 Bulls team, and they probably win 60.

1 person likes this.
  19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Actually it's more like.

LeBron and Bosh both piggybacking off of Wade.
    Wade stayed in Miami, Bosh sprinted to join him, and LeBron casually strolled in.

It's still Wade's team.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You don't think Wade and Bosh were begging LeBron to join them in Miami?

Remember, LeBron is the one who's been on a title-contender the last few years. Not Wade.