1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dick Cheney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Aug 2, 2000.

Tags:
  1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy gave a great speech.

1. His delivery, while pretty monotone, is very effective. His half-smile adds a little bite to his soft-spoken delivery.

2. His slogans are not all original, but they are presented well and evry effective.

3. He was confident, cocky, and gave energy to the audience.

4. He really did not say a whole lot, but he made it seem as if he was.

5. Repetition. Always good when used effectively.

6. I actually laughed at some of the jokes.

7. How will GWB earn respect from the military when he was as bad as Clinton with his own service?

8. Added a few personal touches.

9. He did not give a greta speech content-wise. but overall it was good and what the convention needed.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

2. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Great speech!!! Man Am I proud to be an american.

He is playing bad cop real good. I hope Gov Bush plays the good cop tomorrow night. Traditionally the Vice-president is the attack dog while prez rises above it.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Best line(paraphrased): "As the man from Hope goes home to New York..."

Hillarious!!! I was rolling for about ten minutes. [​IMG]

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just like the man from Texas that goes home to Connecticut for school, or Kennebunkport, or one of the other 7 states that he has residence in.

Hilarious.

Just like Cheney who has to go home to Wyoming a few weeks ago to register to vote there.

Hilarious.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I began to watch it, and I'm proud to say that I fell asleep after less than five minutes.

------------------
    Bring It!!

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Always nice to hear from an informed voter.

And I don't think Bush attending Yale is quite the same as Hillary carpet-bagging for a new job.

7. RocketMan Tex

Never claimed to be informed. Just bored and disgusted.

------------------
    Bring It!!

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RocketMan Tex,

You fell asleep?!?
    But that was the best speech so far. I am sure it was more entertaining than Bush's will be - he cannot be quite as cocky.

100% unadulterated fun.

Rocketman95,

Yes, those are funny too.

Politics are funny, folks.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

9. Special Patrol Group

IMO, being an informed voter has little to do with listening intently to the scripted nonsense that spews forth like so much bile during these conventions. Very little of it, and it seems especially so this year, is intended to relay the party's platform or political agenda in general. They've really turned it into a huge sound bite fest and pandering party. Not that I expect anything different from the Democrats, but what I've seen coming out of Philly is just pathetic.

I usually vote Libertarian or Reform (Pat Buchanan?!!), but not this year. I'm going to hate voting for Gore but there's no way that, in good conscience, I can sit by and watch Born-again Bush turn the Supreme Court into a First Amendment wrecking crew.

10. BrianKagy

Spec, there's certainly something to that, but let me just add that listening to the prefabricated Wonderland tales the candidates tell at their conventions is still preferable to a good nap if you're trying to learn more about them.

Political apathy and cynicism are pretty fashionable nowadays, and people are welcome to act that way if they want-- but at the same time, it would be nice if those people would then admit that they're not following the political process very closely and have little more than a surface understanding of it.

I mean, I'll tell you one thing: I will not vote for Gore, but I also won't sleep through his acceptance speech after he's nominated. I want to know what he says he's about-- even if it's delivered in a saccharine happy talk format.

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you know Dick Cheney is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of Halliburton....a $21B oil services company?

Nice how you can go from the military to big biz to VP as if it is a career track.

So, does he have to resign his private-sector job...before he starts lobbying for it, or does his lobbying pulpit have to have the air of no for-profit ties.

McClain is looking better and better. We need some election reform baby.

12. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

He has already re-signed from their board and from the 10 others he WAS on.

I wonder if Al Gore has sold his 1 million shares of stock of Oxidental Oil.. No not yet. Oh yeah weren't they the company that Clinton wanted to sell that Navy oil field to for 10 cents to the dollar.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

[This message has been edited by Dennis2112 (edited August 03, 2000).]

13. RocketMan Tex

Brian, while I understand & respect where you are coming from, I also believe that you just do not learn very much about candidates via their acceptance speeches. IMHO, you learn more about them by examining their voting records (if they were members of Congress) or actions/leadership on certain issues/accomplishments (if they were Governors). Personally, I take more stock in what they do rather than in what they say, because I feel they will say almost anything to get elected.

------------------
    Bring It!!

[This message has been edited by RocketMan Tex (edited August 03, 2000).]

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

now I'm confused....did he re-sign or resign.

hey Dennis, didn't mean to say Gore is any better. hell, I didn't mean to even imply there's anything wrong with working for big biz before politics. In fact, they should before becoming politicians. I'm just coming here making trouble.

...and citing McClain reform and dreaming of Nader-esque reform. You now though, reform only lasts as long as the instigators, then it returns back the way it was with a new language only. Now, how's that for Hopeful Cynicism....I'm pathetic about federal politics. I just want the power moved closer to the majority of my votes--which is the state and local level.

Think about it. We have 3 votes at the federal level and dozens at the state and local. The appropriations should move closer to our votes.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just because they're at MTV doesn't make their opinions on serious matters any less valid than the editor of the Washington Post, IMO.

You probably wouldn't feel the same if they were advocating more conservative positions. I know I wouldn't either.

[​IMG]

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

16. BrianKagy

Achebe, I've read an apt quote from a Scottish historian named Alexander Tytler (I've also seen it as 'Tyler', not sure which is correct). I've probably shared it with y'all before. Anyway, it goes something like this:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can exist only until a majority of the populace discovers it can vote itself largess from the public treasury.

If there's ever been a quote that appeared more prescient towards America's future than that one, I've yet to see it.

Now that the Republicans have decided that the "era of the end of Big Government" is over, we're all screwed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited August 03, 2000).]

17. BrianKagy

You're right, RM95. Who am I to question the journalistic integrity or native political intelligence of Serena Altschul?

The fact that MTV's political reporting is overwhelmingly biased leftward is mere icing on the "I Hate It" cake. I can think something is stupid and without merit even if it ostensibly is on my side.

Example: Pat Robertson.

------------------

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree with that. People are stupid because they are stupid, not because of where they work though.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

19. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i loved seeing cheney stutter and look like an idiot on larry king last week..that was especially funny when larry asked him about the way he voted against nelson mandela's recognition ...he said he 'couldnt remember the vote'

classic guy..

they even commented on cbs last night how the GOP had put cheney into silence after he got torn up in interviews..now they dont want him to talk except in prepared speeches like last nights convention...

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

First of all, speeches mean nothing at these conventions. If you heard all the analysis afterwards, they all said the same thing. They are using Clintons platform right back at him from 1992. God forbid if someone uses creativity. I prefer to wait until the debates to decide who is the right person to vote for. But for some reason, I am almost 75 percent sure that I won't vote neither one of these guys.

MadMax, I am pretty sure that you aimed that little jab at people like me. I am the biggest non-believer out there, but...in the words of some athlete that showed up last night at the convention...JUST BRING IT! [​IMG]

And I do get involved, by the way. I volunteer to teach English at my high school on Saturdays. I go to the local youth center on Tuesdays to help out with the kids and have a 14 year old to mentor named Eddie Grima. So, one day, when I BECOME PRESIDENT, you can look back at my great record. [​IMG]

Three things.

One, the problem I have with the Republicans is that they give Clinton little credit. They say the economy is good because of the peoples hard work not the president. So, my question is that if its all the people, then why not just get rid of all the a-holes in Washington? I wish everyone would just work toward the common good instead of their own interest. I am being repetitive, so lets go to point two.

Second, I love the way the Republicans are just drowning out McCain in all this. I guess they really want all that reform, eh? But, I can't blame them. They already want us to think they are for the little people despite the fact that their record shows otherwise. And I just can't wait until Chaney and Bush try and justify all the spending on the military that they already are planning(even though they haven't won). Hey, I can't blame them for just harping on Monica Lewinsky..err "bringing integrity to the White House". I guess its true that when you are on top and 70 percent of America agrees with you, you are going to take those type of hits. Ask anyone to name the top 5 presidents of all time and Kennedy pops up. Nobody cares about all his screwing in the bedroom. But, thats the way it goes. Also, don't you just love the way they had that gay person speaking about trade? And did you notice alot of Republicans praying in the audience so that God could somewhat cure that epidemic disease called being gay? Oh, yea. Way to reach out and be different.

Three. I am damn sure that we won't be hearing from Bradley at the Democratic Convention either. If he speaks, I will be shocked.

So, again, basically its vote Democratic or not at all. Hopefully during the debates, intelligence oozes out of someones brain and changes my mind all together. But, I doubt it.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 03, 2000).]