1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dereck Lively Center of the Future

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Mr Woods, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

If we’re going to commit to a fast-paced uptempo style of play with the KPJ-Green backcourt, and we miss out on Wemby, this is a guy to watch for this upcoming college season.

Currently ranked #1(!!) in his class by ESPN, here are some of his attributes:

- Strong measurables at 7’1, 7’8 wingspan

- Fluid movement in the open court, not a stiff
    - Excels in PnR, PnP, and offers vertical spacing
    - Soft touch, can shoot the 3 consistently
    - Already an elite defender, great instincts
    - Has shown potential to switch onto the perimeter

This is not your average rim running prospect. A big man that can stretch the floor, switch onto the perimeter, protect the rim, score as a roller in PnR, and is a legitimate lob threat is precisely what our backcourt needs, and perfect for Silas’ 5-out system.

D
    on’t sleep on Dereck Lively. A Lively-Jabari-Tari defensive trio next to KPJ-Green would set us up nicely moving forward.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kid can protect the rim and hit the 3. Would fit right in with this nucleus.

saleem and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Adem Bona:

Lively probably requires the Rockets own pick to get. I'm reserving that selection for Jarace Walker. Bona might last to the Milwaukee pick.

4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Ehh, I need to see more right now personally. Looks like a good lob finisher, can stretch with a three, is not super athletic but long, and can protect the rim. A good 3&D center and a very good role player, I don't know if I'd throw the unicorn label at him.

He's young so he definitely has a chance to develop more over time, hopefully we'll see that next year.