1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Department of Education forgiving private college debt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Space Ghost, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/08/pf/.../index.html?sr=fbmoney0608corinthian0600story

What a load of crap. I understand students felt defrauded, however there are many many private schools that straddle the fine line of a legit education and fraud. This sets a bad prescient for students to come out with open hands begging for money because they were too inept to realize thier school was complete garbage.

tinman likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

The DoE is just streamlining the process - forgiving the debt was already the law. And Corinthian didn't straddle the line - they just committed outright fraud and lied to their students (and the Feds).

ElPigto likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually it was the Department of Education's responsibility to shutter the school and reject their student loans in the first place if it was complete garbage. There's a bit of a catch-22 with for profit colleges, not just because of the demand for accessible and in some cases affordable post-secondary education, but also to maximize employment opportunities for graduate and post-doctorate professionals: as there simply aren't enough stable, well-paying teaching or research posts to go around.

4. Space Ghost

Corinthian is the beginning. Yes, it was a clear case of fraud. However the point is there are many many more private colleges straddling that line.

5. Space Ghost

My issue is the DoE is giving out these loans when they shouldn't be. Corinthian is a clear case. After all the complaints in the past, why were loans continued to be handed out?
    Why are schools that are not fully accredited allowed to take this money? Why are the standards so low?

In my early years, I was roped into one of these colleges. I didn't make it half way through the first quarter when I realized I made a mistake. The staff was very underwhelming. I had a first year professor who basically told me to get out. She was very disappointed that she had to dumb down her tests because she was forced to make sure everyone was passing.

I was really ticked off because I was being allowed to borrow money towards a degree that would have been useless.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

by forgiving do they mean all of us taxpayers are footing the bill?

7. Major

Major Member

Congress (both parties) and lobbyists. The Obama Administration fought to curtail these things earlier, but while they made some progress with executive action, they lost the larger battle in Congress. And Congress is currently trying to roll back the executive action as well:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...higher-ed-act-year-backs-plan-cut-regulations

On a side note, these are the same risks faced with school voucher programs - ultimately, anywhere there's an opportunity for the private sector to profit from government, there's going to be risks of fraud - whether it be for-profit education, Medicare, defense spending, etc.

8. bongman

bongman Member

Not really sure what that means. But from a consumer standpoint, the company was being paid for it's services. If service was not rendered, then the money has to be refunded and in this case, loans do not have to be paid.

9. Space Ghost

I dont think you really understand. The government is lending money to students and they are choosing to waste it on these schools who are defrauding/misrepresenting the students. The government is then forgiving the loan for their mistakes.

If a student insists on attending schools like Corinthian and University of Phoenix types, they should pay directly out of their own pockets.

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The loans should have never been made in the first place. The idea that someone can borrow money from the federal government and then just waste it is absurd. Hopefully this type of story causes the government to be a little more careful with their loans. The for-profit college industry exists because of the ease in which federal student loans can be doled out. Perhaps it's time to stop that gravy train. Actually, we are well past time to stop this scam.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree. It's ridiculous. A whole industry basically sucking in government funds to provide a scam of an education.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

true. And maybe this will go some way to fixing that.

But the forgiveness of these current loans is just fallout from the current system. The students were defrauded/misled/taken advantage of here. Feds approved the loans.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

LOL. I'm sure.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Big banks were bailed out. This is just bailing out poor kids. The move won't be as profitable as bailing out the big banks, but sometimes the government has to do it.

15. Space Ghost

Except the government doesn't have to. What the government has to do is stop giving out these loans in the first place. There are a hundred different reasons why a student can feel like they shouldn't have to repay a loan.

First note that not all private colleges are bad. That said, the problem is that these rotten colleges dumb down the curriculum to keep the students coming back. Then they are surprised when they can't get a job in the real world ... because they were never given a real education.

16. Remii

Remii Member

There are plenty of people who attended a legitimate college and can't get a job and are in debt up to their eyeballs... And much of that debt is accrued because of unnecessary courses colleges make people take. But in this case the government shares responsibility in letting them rip people off.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Sometimes the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    Even legitimate schools were able to raise tuition and focus on non necessities because virtually anyone out of high school could get loans and the government backed it.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree.

The way this administration handles future student loan forgiveness will be a lightning rod issue. I am sure they are running the numbers on the best route to take. Personally, I am not of fan as these folks knew what they were agreeing to when they signed up.

tinman likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

good

lol at blaming victims of fraud

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet kids can party in college for free