1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Decipher The Secret Message in KFC TV ad for Free Sandwich

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Mar 2, 2006.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If the networks will let them show it...

Network Rejects KFC's Secret-Message Ad

POSTED: 9:19 am CST March 2, 2006

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A secret recipe is one thing. But a secret message goes too far.

It turns out a hidden message in a KFC ad is too close to subliminal advertising for ABC. The network said it's following a longstanding policy and won't air the commercial with the message. ABC is airing a different version, with the message frame cut out.

No other network has refused the ad.

Viewers can slowly replay it to find a message to enter on the fast food restaurant's Web site to get a coupon for a free sandwich.

A University of Missouri advertising professor said he doesn't think it's a subliminal ad. In fact, he thinks it's just the opposite -- because people have been told to look out for the message.

The Kentucky-based company is pleased with the results. It said more than 70,000 people have entered to receive coupons.

The strategy is meant to counter the growth of new technology that lets viewers skip through commercials.

http://www.click2houston.com/foodnews/7613757/detail.html

2. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

ok, so who is going to find out what the code is and share with the rest of us? :D

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's good thinking right there. expect a lot more tactics like this from advertisers.

4. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

"Buffalo"

Then it starts to ask personal informations. I closed the browser. It's not worth it.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm using BeyondTV as my DVR which works great ...but they have yet to add slow motion. :mad:

Note: Not mad about missing a chicken sandwhich. Mad about not having slow-mo. But missing the chicken sandwhich just reminds me that I don't have slow-mo. :)

6. droxford

droxford Member

here's the frame:

[​IMG]

EDIT: After you enter the code, it asks for your birthdate. I enter Feb. 11, 1969 (my birthdate) and it says I'm too young to participate - must be 18 years or older. I'm 37. Nice coding, guys.

#6 droxford, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  7. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i entered it, and it said that they are over the limit for the promotion. 75,000 was the set limit.....what cheapskates.

i don't ever eat kfc anyway.

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Apparently those guys in Kentucky have never heard of the internet.

75,000 limit, what a con. Now everyone on the internet knows already and will skip through the commercial on their Tivos, and those that go check will be pissed at KFC for being bastards and not go there anyway. Because they set the expectation that the sandwich would be free, now everyone will think its worth too much.

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

"Chicken don't kill people, fried chicken kill people"

Either that or:

"Kentucky-F***ed Chicken"

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Happy belated birthday.
    :)