1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DEBATE!!! Top Centers in the game today

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCAhmed, May 20, 2012.

1. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Dwight
    Bynum
    Chandler
    Bogut
    Hibbert
    Garnett

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Member

Damn Centers suck todays compare to the 90's

1998:

1. Hakeem
    2. Shaq
    3. Robinson
    4. Ewing
    5. Mourning
    6. Mutombo
    7. Divac
    8. Rik Smits
    9. Daugherty
    10. Seikaly/Sabonis

#22 Luckyazn, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

better because Dwight had some major deficiencies.......
    people are still finding ways to cover that......

Lebron, Jordan, Kobe were, are just great.... people are debating about who was even greater... or nothing at all

4. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah, I love how terrible scoring 22.9 PPG on 59.6% shooting is. Especially when you have offensive crap on your team and the whole offense is predicated on you being dominant.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Post that in the Hakeem, Shaq, Sabonis, Yao era and I will fully acknowledge his offensive talents....

He is the best now but the league is devoid of Cs that are above 7 ft and actually dominating 7 footers

6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Sabonis? He came over to the Nba at the later part of his career. Interesting choice. I would have mentioned smits, or David Robinson.

7. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't the era of centers. I would like him on the rockets though. There's a tradition of good big men here.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Tier 1 (SUPERSTAR LEVEL):
    Dwight Howard

Tier 2 (NEAR SUPERSTAR LEVEL,):
    Andrew Bynum

Tier 3 (All-Star QUALITY by today's standards):
    Andrew Bogut (healthy), Roy Hibbert, Al Horford, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez (healthy)

Tier 4 (GOOD):
    Joahkim Noah, Tyson Chandler, Marcin Gortat, Brook Lopez (if he declines in health) , Nene, Kendrick Perkins, Nikola Pekovic (he definitely could move up), Greg Monroe (He'll move up as well), Emeka Okafor, and Chris Kaman

Tier 5 (SERVICEABLE):
    Brendan Haywood, DeAndre Jordan, Tiago Splitter, Spencer Hawes, Samuel Dalembert, Robin Lopez, and Zaza Pachulia.

Tier 6 (Revolving Door):
    Joel Anthony (or anyone plays center for the Heat), Andris Biedrins, Memhet Okur (now), Aaron Gray, Timofey Mozgov, Kwame Brown, Darko Mlicic,

Omitted: Tim Duncan and KG (Another debate for another day)
    Cannot decide on Javale McGee: Tier 4 - Tier 5

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Y'all give Bynum credit but he has not won anything
    Bynum is an allstar, slightly above Hibbert

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Its funny how the game have evolve, where big man are getting smaller, and point/wing are getting bigger.

Soon most team will have forwards taller than their centers.... And its already the case for a few teams.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Anyone who doesn't have Chandler in the top 5 is nuts. He was the main reason for the Mavs championship and with him NYk went from one of the worst defenses to one of the best in one year.

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

This!!!!!!!!

13. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I miss the chuckwagon though

14. sammy

sammy Member

The Yao and Oden injuries really set the position back.

15. VBG

VBG Member

While the centers today suck offensively, I don't think they are that terrible defensively. And the game doesn't really help a back to the basket game today.

I'm not saying Dwight is Shaq or Hakeem but he damn impressive.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I actually think the center position is stronger now than it was 5 years ago. There's a lot more depth there now. Several teams have competent centers right now, many have 2 solid centers, this wasn't the case back in Yao's prime. Also, you have more 7-footers committed to playing like big men instead of shooting jumpers. Way less Okur-types running around these days.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

1a. Dwight
    1b. Tim Duncan
    1c. Kevin Garnett
    1d. Pau Gasol
    2a. Marc Gasol
    2b. Tyson Chandler
    2c. Andrew Bogut
    8. Gortat
    9. Bynum
    10. Nene
    11. Hibbert
    12. Horford
    13. Monroe
    14. Kamen
    15. Brook Lopez
    16+ all the rest

Just a couple comments. Andrew Bynum is fading fast. Andrew Bynum has length and strength but that's it. He lacks explosion, quickness, and bball iq. His decision making is poor and it takes him forever to get into his move and get off the ground and he doesn't make good decisions when the double hits him. If he does not improve in these areas, he will continue to be an enigma and one of the most overpaid players in the game. He acts and moves like he's smoked two joints of Mary Jane before the game. He has to improve or he's going to continue to fall down the list.

Gortat is high up on the list simply because his salary is so small for the production he brings. He's a PnR center, kinda one-dimensional but he's very good with a PnR PG as we've seen with Nash. When you take into account he's making MLE money, he's a very great value.

Brook Lopez is so low because of the injuries the past couple seasons. If he recovers, he should move into the top 10.

There is no question Duncan and Garnett are centers. You may want to label them C/PFs but they are the big man on their team, 7-footers who defend the paint, board, and post up. That's how you define a center.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

I guess Demarcus Cousins has been forgotten on some of these list and I'm not talking about top 5.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

This is true, he is very good on the defensive end, but offensively he is lacking. If Chandler were someone you could throw down on the block even 1/10 of the time, then he would move up in value. He is a very good alley oop PnR type player, but half court offense he thrives only on Offensive rebounds. He is not a complete player by any means, but is definitely Top 3 defensively.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

I have Cousins, Monroe, and Asik as up and comers who will be someone to be on the look out for.

I think Pekovic might be as well, but he might be producing so well because so much attention is placed on K Love. (I dont really watch TWolves play so I have no first hand experience to speak from)