1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Davis Agrees To Sign With Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tornadoofsoul6, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Tornadoofsoul6

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3470016

2. askball

askball Member

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wow so am i right in reading that brand basically opted out as a premeditated avenue to taking a paycut so that baron could be signed? :eek:

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can you please let us what is going to happen next with the Rockets too? :)

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

parades....lots of em!

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Yup. I was listening to 570 AM (LA Sports) yesterday and as soon as the Davis announcement rumors came out, this "Clipper insider" had hinted to the host that Brand was going to take a paycut and that BD was coming over.

The insider also said that while the owner is still in love with Maggette and wants to keep him, Dunleavy Jr does not support that decision at all.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

wait... davis opted out of his 17 million contract, to have 13 million over 5 years? couldn't he just play his contract, and still get 10-13 mill?

so whats up with bigs taking contract smaller than they are worth... because of a point guard? thats brand and jamison now.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

This season was the first time in 7 years where BD has played 82 games. Another season with an injury and a 5 year offer might not be impossible at his age.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yeah, definitely sounds like he's hedging his bets on a future injury.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

one reason why they still don't worry me.

in my mind they are looking more like a competitor for one of the last playoffs spots with portland and denver.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Wow, I can't belive it now, but actually reading news that 'Baron wants to be a Clipper' yesterday I was pretty sure I would read something like that next day. I wasn't wrong.

But it is still suprising, Nellie even said he was sure Baron would come back...But now Clippers may be dangerous in the West. MAY BE

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

so brand thinks him and davis will make clippers contend in the west or what? to me they are still lotto bound. if brand wants win over money, might as well sign with rockets. otherwise he should just go for the max money.

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Apparently Golden State was only offering around 2 years at less money. So he makes much more money in the long term with the Clippers along with more security.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This team might be more talented then the Clippers team that made it to the 2nd round a few years back. This team definitely can make the playoffs and be a serious threat. They have an All-Star PG, and All-Star PF, a legit center and a legit SG. I don't know about the SF spot, but the Clippers have talent. They're definitely not a lottery team.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Okay upon further review I just realized the Clippers aren't just good. They are stacked, even without Maggette.

Powell, Ross, Knight, Parker, and Thomas all become role players where they belong rather than counted on to produce big. That alone makes that motley cast of characters an asset. Those names actually make up a decent bench. I can really see Ross, Knight, and Thomas coming up huge in the playoffs. But its not over yet...

Erik Gordon (who I completely forgot about, did you?) gets to come off the bench and provide a spark. Anything he brings will be valuable, he also has the luxury of now being in a great situation and playing whatever backcourt position he wants. Deandre Jordan, a gamble, could provide some kind of sexy defensive duo with Brand. Although I don't have much faith in Jordan.

Al Thornton will produce next season. Thats obvious. And he will be playing alongside a big lineup, that should help his game. Him and Gordon will more than makeup the loss of Maggette.

And finally, they kept Dunleavy. He can coach. Scary stuff.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I expect Baron to attempt to make that Rick fox type move to the movies

Rocket River

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have difficulty fearing the Clippers. It seems like they always underperform regardless of who they have. Somehow, I expect them to squander their talent.

I was surprised how Golden State could let Baron get away, and make a run at a player half as talented in Arenas. But, it seems to make some sense now and there was nothing they could do. Baron decided he wanted to be in LA and conspired with Brand to get it done. I still think throwing all that money at Arenas is a mistake. Maybe they're only doing it because they know Arenas won't take it. I have a brother-in-law in SF and I feel sorry for them that Davis has left them high and dry.

18. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

baron davis + brand is no better than baron davis + harrington + sjax

I think this move makes the west easier. Golden state gets worse and clippers get better but not enough to matter.

Good job!

19. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I wouldn't underestimate what a great PG who has the luxury of playing with a big man can do. The NBA has been slowly turning more similar to the college game where the guards seem to have alot more impact than they used too.

Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade, Chauncey Billups were all Finals MVP. Not to mention AI and Steve Nash have won League MVP's with Jason Kidd and Chris Paul both coming extremely close and easily deserving of it at the time. But i wouldn't compare 1/2 that whole list to what Davis can do with the right cast that i think he's finally on.

What was Tyson Chandler and others on the Hornets w/o CP3? Nash has made countless players household names and gotten them bigger contracts in turn hurting himself in a way. Baron Davis is one of the rare point guards on a long list of All Star PG's whose name can be mentioned next to Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd who can either take command of a game by himself or make every single person play above their max potential. He's the sole reason the Warriors knocked of Dallas in the 1st round. He was unstoppable and one of the most underrated players in the NBA.

I would be shocked if the Clippers are fighting for the 7 or 8 seed as some ESPN "experts" say they expect but rather a much better seed. The Clippers could be this year's version of New Orleans. You got Brand the talented former #1 pick to do the dirty work and be consistent on the glass. But i expect Kaman's and Thorton's points to both go up by 5 from easy buckets while you still have the threat of Mobley outside to get more easy shots than ever when Davis gets the double team. It's alot of money, but well spent in my eyes if they plan on winning now. :cool:
    Bottom line is LA has 2 teams worth paying close attention to this year. :eek:

20. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I have to say that they could be somewhere on the Utah (our) level. For one, Brand+Baron is potentially at least as good as Boozer+Deron if not better. Both teams have solid centers with Kaman being slightly better overall, IMO. Utah wins the SF position and both teams are weak at SG unless Gordon turns out really good really quick. Bench advantage goes to Utah as well as the 'health advantage'.

But Clippers can still be a very good team. All depends on Brand's ability to come back to full form and Baron staying healthy. If that happens, I don't see them ending up in the lottery as some are saying. Then again, it's the west...