1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern What Next?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Oct 26, 2006.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

David Stern is the most megalomaniacal sports commissioner today if not of all time. Now he wants the players to leave their guns home. First he mandates sports coats, changes the ball and doesn't change his mind despite near unanimous complaints from the players. What next, make the players drive Toyota Camry's to work. Stern needs to go.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6099626

2. jdrock

jdrock Member

I don't think it's megalomaniacal to prevent players from bringing guns to the arena. I'm pretty sure we as fans are not allowed to, so why should a player be?

Why are players bringing guns into the arena anyway?? That is just dumb. Do you bring a gun to work? (Directed at people that are not cops, etc. of course :p )

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree. Why do players need to bring guns to the games, its not for protections. It makes no sense for them to bring them there

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't know what megalomaniacal mean.. but I think Dave Stern is just trying to better the NBA image as he sees fit. It seems to me like Stern is trying get the NBA back to it's old image in the 80's... maybe he's just old fashioned. Maybe we need to trade him ^_^

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Member

Stern's "leave the guns at home" spiel was only a preference but not a mandate. This certainly could not pass any CBA because it would be a 2nd amendment infringement. He has a point though, I certainly would not want Stephen Jackson with a gun the way he has behaved on and off the court or Ron Artest for that matter.

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Ridiculous decision by Stern, is he gonna wait until Stephen Jackson gets run over by some handicapped guy before he realizes the error of his ways? Players need guns to defend themselves from these handicapped guys. They get to park close to the strip clubs in their special handicapped parking spots even when they can walk just fine and their handicap is due to the fact that they have short arms and two fingers, so they can get to their car fast and run you over.

You need to protect yourself against the handicapped. Also, don't r****ded people get to park in handicapped spots, too, even if they can run fast like Forest Gump? Need those guns so you can shoot them before they get to you in their vehicles.

#6 Van Gundier, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Megalomania is what I like to call "The World Is Mine" Syndrome.

The definition: is a psychopathological condition characterised by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence. It includes an obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions. It is sometimes symptomatic of manic or paranoid disorders.

8. HeadsUp7Up

HeadsUp7Up Member

I'm pretty sick and tired of this David Stern bozo. Someone needs to kick his azz.

Fruck David Stern!

9. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

he wants players to leave their guns at home and everyone is complaining? humm i dont get it. maybe he doesnt want the telfair's of the league to go around shooting people. sounds like a good idea to me

10. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

People on both sides of the issue need to read "Loose Balls," by Terry Pluto, and pay special attention to the chapter about the Indiana Pacers. Almost to a (black or white) man, those championship Pacer teams of the 70s brought guns into the lockerroom before games, and could be seen fake firing at each other before tipoff, joking around.

One time, a gun thought to be unloaded went off, nearly taking a player's face off; and the players, almost to a (black or white, rookie or veteran) man decided it best to leave the guns at home.

11. A-Train

A-Train Member

Well, he DOES have wealth and omnipotence! What good is god like power if you can't wield it?

12. emjohn

emjohn Member

Stern requests players quit running around with guns
    Stern prohibits guns at NBA facilities

What an evil man, we need someone more like Bud Selig, that allows the sport to disgrace itself while sweeping it under the rug.

Evan

13. jo mama

jo mama Member

wasnt half the nba cokeheads in the 80's?

i dont see the big deal - fans cant bring guns to the arena - the players can leave them in their cars - there is enough security to protect them once they get to the arena.

im actually a bit suprised that they were allowed to bring them in the first place. some of these guys are not playing with a full deck, if you know what i mean - i dont like knowing that a ron artest might have a gun in the house.

14. zoork34

zoork34 Member

David stern may be a little bit more controlling than other major sports commissioners, but he's the best one by far. so NBA players cant bring a gun to the arena? so what? i dont bring a gun to the gym when i play basketball. why do they need a gun at a basketball arena? stern is just trying to fight the hip-hop gangsta image of the NBA....i see nothing wrong with that. and dont even start with the "its their right" crap. the way i see it, these guys make millions to play bball, so the least they can do is act like civilized people when they go to work.

15. cson

cson Member

No argument to see here, move along

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

Better "evidence" that he's a megalomaniac would be to look at the power the officials now wield. Look at them wrong, they get to call a T. The officials are just pawns/a reflection of the ultimate authority figure, David Stern, IMO...

17. jdrock

jdrock Member

While most people agree that David Stern's ideas on guns is a good one, others may not like him in general as the NBA comish. For that, my argument is that although he's had some questionable policies (most notably the dress code), he is definitely a very capable comissioner. He is largely responsible for the resurgence of the NBA from its dark days 20 or so years ago. He's very committed to the NBA's prosperity and only wants to do what's best (even if he does go a little overboard sometiems).

18. shawn786

shawn786 Member

When was taking a gun to work okay?

These guys arn't cops or any kind of armed forces. They have no reason to bring guns or any kind of weapons to work.

19. napalm

napalm Member

For Buddha's sake, quit with the "fruck" and the super sized font. Tis bloody annoying!

As for Stern making players keep their guns away from the arena; I have no issues with that edict.

20. A-Train

A-Train Member

The main point wasn't whether the players can bring guns to the arena, but whether they should carry them around town. He was just stating his opinion that he thinks guns are best left at home and not carried around on the street.

I think it's a good idea. A player might accidentally get caught with a gun in a place where guns ARE prohibited. Anybody remember when Jerry Jones got caught with a gun at the airport?