1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Baumann: Rockets passed on Josh Smith to save money for Parsons.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jul 12, 2013.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

As much as I warmed up to Josh, i.e. made excuses for his flaws and thought he would put us over the tap, I'm so glad we didn't sign him regardless of the reason.

2. jocar

jocar Member

Oh, damn. We got his bird rights, Les doesn't want to pay luxury?

3. Big Red Machine

Rockets will be in the luxury tax soon. But I think they want it to be worth it. With Josh Smith, it's debatable if he's worth it. They know Parsons is worth it.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

For the last several months Parsons has been hyped up as a potential third wheel in the Rockets' big 3.

I think how this may influence the Rockets in other aspects is being overlooked. As Gersson said in the podcast interview with Clutch a player's fit and role on a team does play strongly on his success.

Looking at recent years Morey has chased a point forward. The likes of Budinger and T-Will were meant to be that guy. When Budinger was deemed by Morey to have had a "disappointing" 2nd year SL it was because he couldn't play it.

If this role is expected of Parsons. Then this season will also be the last chance for the front office to decide on their long term, high salaried commitment to Parsons. In 2014-15 he'll be an unrestricted, half season rental, ie no trade value.

This could be a reason why Lin was shopped. He's going from no.2 to no.4 in the pecking order. He struggled being the second guy last season. They're giving his role to Parsons or at least whatever leftovers Dwight and Harden leave. It'll be a make it or break it year for Parsons.

The Hawks don't want Lin. Last trade deadline they wanted Asik and Parsons for JSmoove.

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

That is right, we do not know if Hawks are willing to do S&T. Total wasting time to speculate it.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

[​IMG]

That's what I think of Josh Smith's contract. We're better off.

7. jocar

jocar Member

Sounds legit. Hope you're right.

8. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Bravo... good form.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How about this then.

Trade for a 4th star while we still have pieces and some type of flexibility player wise.

Doesn't have to be RIGHT NOW, just, eventually.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Words and actions only one is important.

:)

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

For me, his contract is a lot of money.

For the NBA, he's way underpaid. Just the way it went; he fell to the second round.

I'm just saying, so many people on here act like Morey doesn't have to do anything for 2 years. And that Morey has put cold heartless commerce before personal etc etc. True enough.

But I just think Morey will do right by Parsons, probably a year from now. You don't want a disgruntled valuable player. Especially one so instrumental in the recruitment of Dwight Howard.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I call bs. Nothing to do with Parsons and the luxury tax and everything to do with Josh Smith not being worth $14m and assets. I liked Smith and I wanted him for our power forward (granted, he isn't the stretch shooter we need at PF, but he is the sort of defender we need) -- but at something like $10m. At $14m, he's an albatross. Morey's not going to overpay, regardless of what else is going on. If things turned out differently and Smith came in a S&T at a contract price Morey thought was a value, I'm sure re-signing Parsons would not be impacted at all.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yup. Tjones clearly has proven himself:rolleyes:

14. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I could see Parsons getting: $45M/5years = $9M annually

15. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Parsons should get $8-10M per year. If this nugget about JSmith is true, I'm really glad the Rockets passed on him. Just the thought of Smith and Howard repeatedly getting fouled down low and hoisting enough bricks to build a permanent wall around the *****-hole that is Dallas, Texas makes me cringe.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

gotcha covered

in the future, simply spoiler(look at my edit on your post to see how to spoiler if you arent sure how) your vids or audio files since so many sites love to have their files start playing automatically.

17. dbl.e

dbl.e Member

I don't think the extension will be the most prudent option for Chandler as Bima outlined on his blog post in April--http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3681/chandler-parsons-contract-take-two/.

Under the CBA, a player may not receive an extension giving him a raise in excess of 107.5% of his salary in the last season of the contract being extended. For Parsons, an extension would cap his 2015-16 salary at $1,037,106. I’m guessing that Parsons (and his agent) feels that he can do better than that on the open market.

The only viable option it seems would be to decline the 2014-15 team option and let Chandler become a RFA or renegotiate and extend Chandler. The latter would require the Rockets to be under the salary cap. Not sure what our current obligations are next summer but it may be possible.

Best option, pick up his 4th year team option and keep him on the cheap contract until 2015 and then pay him as an UFA.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We will be a tax payer from here on out. You need to trade for the max guy now so you can sign parsons to whatever and then have your 4 guys instead of 3. It's only money, and Les has it.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bird rights. The Rockets don't have to be under the cap to sign Parsons.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No you don't.

There's no rush.... we just signed Howard and we can wait till some of the pretenders fall out of their "playoff hunts" so we can take advantage then.

I know a couple years ago Clutch wrote the piece labeling us 'Predators' but I honestly believe this is the time when Morey can truly sit back and become the predatorial GM we know him for.

Be patient, it will come.