1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dating] Need a good romantic walking area in Downtown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Jun 19, 2015.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok gentlemen and ladies. I need your help.

After 2 years of dating followed by 9 years of marriage followed by one year of separation followed by 6 months of nothing after a divorce...I'm finally ready to get back in the saddle and start dating again. I've been talking to this girl the past week or so and we've really hit it off.

We haven't been able to meet up for a date yet (the unfortunate reality of two single parents) but we have something tentatively planned for next week. I'm going to take her to Nirvana Restaurant (she really likes Indian food and her ex-husband didn't and would never take her). My plan was that, following that, I take her somewhere outside (like a park) that has a nice walking trail so we can walk and just talk. Possibly with some areas of a little privacy where I might could make a move. Who knows.

My issue is I'm very unfamiliar with the downtown Houston area when it comes to stuff like this. I can look up parks online but I won't really get a sense of if they are safe or not. And it is really important that it not be an area where we have to worry about getting mugged or anything.

It doesn't even have to be a park. Just some area that has walking trails or space to walk that might be considered romantic. Thanks in advanced guys.

2. Poloshirtbandit

Discovery green.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/the-rest-of-the-best-houstons-top-10-romantic-spots-6376395 These selections actually are not bad.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Along Allen Parkway there is Buffalo Bayou Park. I'm not sure how safe that area is after dark though.

Hermann Park and the Japanese Gardens.

There are some nicer walking areas outside of downtown.

Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens in River Oaks area.

Rice Univ campus is a nice area to walk around. School is not in session now so it is even calmer and quieter.

Menil Collection, Rothko Chapel and the Byzantine Fresco Chapel are all free so you can browse around those areas at your leisure. They are pretty decent.

If you head a little bit to the West side of town Terry Hershey park is an amazing place to stroll around with lots of trees, flowers and wildlife.

#4 Mr. Brightside, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great suggestions, guys. I've never been to Discovery Green but it looks like what I'm hoping for. I'll probably go with that. Rep to you all.

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Walk just directly south of downtown. You will end up in this place called "Third Ward". It is very romantic and safe at night.

7. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I'll second the Hermann Park and Japenese Gardens suggestion. Had a buddy propose to his girl there this week.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

along the gatebridge from IAH terminal to an aircraft destined for a place with better and more romantic summer weather. sneak to the lavratory for extra milehigh romance on the way too.

9. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Bend her over on Tal's Hill in Minute Maid Park after hours when security is gone. Thank me later.

10. SK34

SK34 Member

Take her to this place called Aga's Restaurant on West Bellfrot and 59. Most underrated DESI food.

Order the Lamb Chops and the Chicken Makhani. Really Really GOOD!

Source: I'm PAKI.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say Discovery Green is always a good bet.

Watch out for the bums downtown though, they run rampant.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What time in the day/night are you going? Discovery Green gets kinda loud with all the kids running around especially on the weekends. So it's not the most private/quiet area to walk around and talk.

13. NateNate

NateNate Member

The good thing about discovery green at night is that they have the horse and carriage rides to make it even more romantic. The downside is that the parks not overly big, so depending on how much time you can kill walking/lounging you may need another spot. Also, the grove next door is a great spot for drinks, although I'm not sure what their hours are.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

was going to suggest look into those horse drawn carriages. those look so damn fun. i hate them because i get caught behind them.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As a 17yr old, I once made "my move" walking on a golf course at night. I knew exactly where the fairway suddenly dropped down and walked her right at that spot. We slid on our butts to the bottom of the "hill." And now we're on the ground, as I'm still holder her to "break her fall" that I had planned. She was so grateful.

Piece of cake after that

HA!

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Discovery Green

But the other option is downtown bars. There are a lot of lesser known cozy bars downtown where you get a nice feel and can carry a conversation

17. conquistador#11

forget the mugging.
    wear fabric that let's you breathe. Infact, ditch the cotton and go with linen, pants or shirt but not both. It's crucial since the humidity factor will be at 70%. Also, a BOUNCE sheet in your pocket to keep the killer mosquitoes away.