1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, The Genius Who Outsmarted*Himself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jul 6, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/6/3140500/daryl-morey-houston-rockets-nba-free-agency-2012

Daryl Morey, The Genius Who Outsmarted*Himself

Sorry for long post...2:00am down under, can't sleep...

1 person likes this.
  2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Fire Morey. His time is up

3. TheresTheDagger

Assume's facts not in evidence.

If the Raptors are good enough to make the playoffs, the pick will be higher that 14 meaning the Rockets won't use the pick next season in the "weak" draft.

Its just a small part of the article, but shows the author lacks the ability to analyze just this one trade thoroughly. Sounds like a hit piece on Morey and his system to me.

I guess its easy to kick the guy at the low point. Lets wait to see where we are in October.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey's operating under Les' rules: Get great but don't lose getting there.

Andrew "Sharp" needs to understand this.

But Morey is sometimes too sharp for his own good.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Houston is in no man's land, and it matters because the man the guy who got them there was supposed to be the smartest GM in basketball.

Every other GM is an idiot?......right :rolleyes:

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think most people have the understanding of what it takes to be a GM. You have to make moves that set up other moves in the future, which is what Morey is doing. Lowry is a depreciating asset...every game he plays, he loses value. Also, like clutch stated, there is a very small market for Lowry. The lottery pick is so much better.

Dragic on the other hand was a different story. Player options are very bad for the teams that give them. You actually don't give these out unless they're superstars since it affects your flexibility and you're luck is in the hands of that said player.

Right now, we can get 2 top 10 picks for next year, which is GREAT! This along with our talent now should be something to get excited about.

Every single person knocked the Paul Gasol trade to the Lakers, even though it turned out to be the best trade Memphis could have gotten. They would actually do it again now.

Paul Gasol + 2nd round pick for Marc Gasol + 2 first round picks + Javaris Crittenton (first round pick) + Kwame Brown (very serviceable center).

At the time, due to owner demands, Memphis had to make that trade, and even if Marc Gasol didn't become who he is now, that was still a good trade given the circumstances. Basically 4 first round picks (with marc gasol being a top 10 talent).

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Interesting read.

I have a story that may illustrate Morey's situation to some extent. I once knew a co-worker who was very bright, but also egotistical and manipulative. He was always scheming, maneuvering, and positioning himself to advance. He memorized all of the policy manuals and quoted them continually in an attempt to impress everyone. He began to correct our supervisor in meetings, but they were "buds" so it was mostly embarrassing to the rest of us. Ultimately, he alienated so many people that he sabotaged himself.

I wonder if Morey isn't doing the same thing. For example, his backloading of contract offers to Lin and Asik may be a clever use of little known CBA rules but could serve to alienate him and the Rockets from the GM's involved. How would you like to be backed into a corner like he is doing to them? Also, just like my co-worker, he may have become so fascinated with the "rules" that he has lost sight of the bigger picture, in this case, moving the Rockets forward.

8. Margrave

Margrave Member

Exactly, and how do you think those other GM's are going to feel when Morey wants to make a deal?

I just think Morey is great with contracts, and lousy with team building.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

SB Nation? Really?

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It just goes to show it takes years and years to recover from a Yao Ming/Tracy McGrady fiasco. We put all our chips on them and they were a losing hand.

11. prs325

prs325 Member

Nothing really, because by then those GMs would be let go by their teams already

But seriously other teams would be cautious in dealing with Rox because the league sees that teams are getting raped when they trade with us

12. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

Great article! Describes Morey perfectly and helps explain our current position in the league. I think he has made some good move, some bad moves, and most importantly missed some big opportunities.

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This is simply not true. Morey is good at getting good value in trades but I don't think he is "raping" other teams in these trades. I feel like Morey has in every trade attempted to make the trade a win-win.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am beginning to ease up off the throttle a bit
    I think at this point Morey is realizing that ASSETS are not as valuable as Cap Flexibility.
    Well, I'll say you need both.

The ability to have a GOOD ASSET and the ability to absorb more pay back than going out maybe what has been missing before now.
    I think Morey has figured out that was the missing peice.
    So now we are under the Cap . . . I think the value of the ASSETS gets larger with the cap flexibility

Rocket River

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Everyone can keep blaming Yao and TMac for Morey's failures, but he moved TMac and a bunch of other "assets" to bring in better "assets. He has turned those "assets" into nothing.

16. AFS

AFS Member

Lol, coming from the same people who were outsmarted into thinking DH12 was traded here

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We have no PGS and no Centres while having 10 forwards. Bulls and Knicks will match.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Very important point. You make life hard for others, they will make life hard for you later on. Dont think that other GMs are not taking notice. After all, he has to deal with them to get what he wants.

IMO, I do not think players care for Morey. If GMs start feeling the same way about him, he is pretty much cutting off his supply line.

19. 1Deep

1Deep Member

What are centres??? If those are small power forwards I think we have a few.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

IF he doesn't "score" Howard, he has gutted the team with few remaining options. Cap space doesn't win games. It appears that he has painted himself and the team into a corner. I guess it is the "big one" or bust. Whatever, I lost confidence a couple of seasons ago when the aimless "shuffling" became painfully obvious. I strongly suspect that he has alienated himself from many other GM's and players. The 14th pick may soon look like a distant memory as he uses high picks to add more undersized forwards. The Rockets have become a revolving door. I am more discouraged as a fan than I ever have been. You watch, the Bulls and the Knicks will match the Asik and Linn deals. Then what happens?