1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Granger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Roxnostalgia, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Member

I just finished watching Danny Granger and New Mexico beat my Utah Utes for the second consecutive time this year. Our center, Andrew Bogut gets a lot of attention, but Danny Granger can play. He's a hell of a shooter who is big and strong. He is a fantatstic defender (at least in the MWC) too. I'm just wondering if he gets any attention down in Houston or outside of our weak conference. He will be a nice pick for someone as he is a senior. And from Kenny Thomas's Alma Mater!

2. junglerules

junglerules Member

I've just heard a lot about him recently in terms of NM making the tourney. People I've read have recognized that it's a totally different team when he's playing, and that he's got the defensive potential that UNM needs to play with some of the better opponents out there. Anyway, as a 12 seed, could they be the next in a long line of teams to upset a 5??

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

Glad you started this thread, I've seen D. Granger play three times including last night and have liked what I've seen, especially the game last night. I came away very impressed with his play throughout the game. The kid is fearless. He would go after alot of rebounds, had great intensity on both ends, very vocal with teammates as he was clearly their leader, and was more polished on offense than I expected. Good first step, range out past the arc, and very physical in the paint.

The thing that impressed me most was his versitility. He had to play point for the last three minutes of the game and had little problem running it. Was fouled a few times in the last minutes and made his free throws. He's the kind of guy that can post up smaller guards and overpower them or draw out the bigger post players and drive by them or shoot from the perimeter to keep them honest. He reminds me of a smaller(6-8) SAR/Odom clone. I really like this kid and hope we draft him as he's projected as a late first to early second.

IMO, Granger would be an ideal compliment player on the wing with McGrady as Granger's style is more physical and defensive (ala Jordan and Pippen.) The only knock on him is the conference he plays in is weak. Still, his talent is undeniable and don't believe he'll struggle for long in the NBA. The commentators said he's got a great work ethic and a good character.

4. JeeberD

JeeberD Member

All I gotta say is that your Utes better not take UTEP lightly on Thursday. Fili Rivera, Omar Thomas, and the rest of the gang are playing great ball right now and will be looking to make a statement against those Mountain Worst bastards... :)

5. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/111080132099850.xml

SMALL NAME, BIG GAME

Q: Who's the best player in the tournament who's flown under the radar all season?

A: NBA scouts are salivating over 6-8 New Mexico forward Danny Granger. At 225 pounds, he's strong enough to score inside, but he also handles the point for the Lobos in certain sets. Granger had 28 points and 11 rebounds in New Mexico's 60-56 victory over Utah in the Mountain West Tournament championship game, his 12th double double of the season.

Q: If Granger is a Magic Johnson clone, then who's the Larry Bird of this tournament?

A: Gonzaga's Adam Morrison is the equivalent of Bird, the Hick from French Lick, who led his local school, Indiana State, to the 1979 NCAA title game. Morrison grew up in Spokane, Wash., and always dreamed of playing for Gonzaga. Coach Mark Few no doubt wishes more guys had that vision, given the 6-8 Morrison's 18.5 scoring average that's soared to 24.6 in his last five games.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

Granger looks like the real deal.

I am also betting the house that Rudy Gay (Uconn's super diper dandy) is going to be a stud in the NBA. His is about the same as Grangers with less pounds.

Gay is is going to make someone go gah-gah in the NBA.

7. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Granger is getting more props from "nba draft dot net." Last night he was listed as the first pick of the second round, and now he is just out of a lottery pick at #14. Though his NBA comparison is a smaller version of Eddie Griffin, I would like to see how he plays in the big dance.

8. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Member

I hate reading these posts about these awesome college players, only to know that we are salivating over a player who is too good to become ar rocket. If he keeps up his good play, then there is no way he'll still be around in the late first round. It'd be kool if we could tell him we were going to pick him, and then he could like suck on purpose so he'd last till the late first round.