1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Damon Wayan's Patent Refused... Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mulder, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Patent offense: Wayans’s hip-hop line
    Officials reject actor’s bid to trademark racial slur
    By Darryl Fears
    The Washington Post
    Updated: 7:17 a.m. ET March 15, 2006

WASHINGTON - It appears that Homey D. Clown still has a few tricks up his sleeve. You remember Homey -- the nutty street clown on the comedy show "In Living Color" who kept kiddies at birthday parties in line by whomping them over the head with a heavy sock and saying, "Homey don't play that."

The character disappeared when the show's run ended in 1994, but the guy who portrayed him, Damon Wayans, is still around. He recently starred in the now-canceled ABC sitcom "My Wife and Kids" and is trying to launch a hip-hop clothing line -- with a trademark that rapper Jay-Z famously rhymed with "Jigga."

But the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office don't play that. Its blunt rejection of Wayans -- twice so far -- amounts to its own sock over the head. Officials won't comment on their decision, but trademark attorney Paul Fleischut of St. Louis says the dismissal is a no-brainer.

"There is an act by Congress that says you cannot register a word that is scandalous or that disparages a particular group," says Fleischut. Wayans's New York lawyers are pressing his case, but, says Fleischut, "It doesn't look good."

Not so original
    And it turns out that Wayans's idea isn't all that original. The files at the patent and trademark office are littered with the remains of "dead" applications seeking exclusive rights to one or another version of the N-word.

In 1995, Marc Anthony Fitzgerald and Fred Harris of Houston sought to trademark the words "Naturally Intelligent God Gifted Africans" and turn it into a peculiar acronym. Four years later, Scapheld Productions in Cincinnati sought to trademark "Rilniga -- any individual true to his actions and or statements."

The next year, Damon James of Houston put "Field" in front of the word and tried to trademark it. In 2001, Wayde Jeffery Davis of New Orleans tried to trademark a 78-word rant that ended with the N-word, so that he could stick it on a T-shirt.

When 2003 rolled around, Keon Rhodan of Charleston, S.C., gave it a try, seeking exactly what Wayans asked for, except that Rhodan added the word clothing on the end.

Wayans, whose application was submitted early last year, could argue that the word he hopes to trademark, "*****," is different, says Todd Boyd, a professor of critical studies at the University of Southern California and author of the book "The New H.N.I.C.: The Death of Civil Rights and the Reign of Hip Hop."

"I don't think it's the same thing," Boyd says. "Hip-hop has redefined the word. It can mean a number of things. It can be a term of admiration. It can be a term of recognition."

Earlier this month, for example, a mostly white jury in Boulder, Colo., cleared a man of ethnic intimidation for using the N-word during a fight in which he broke a black man's jaw, but some younger jurors didn't think the word was offensive because it's so conversational in hip-hop culture.

Yet, Boyd adds, the word may be conversational in hip-hop, but that doesn't mean it's been stripped of all its controversy.

"I've had this conversation with my students a lot," he says. "But I tell them that . . . not everyone is going to be as open-minded as myself."

'The jury's out'
    NiaOnline, an African American-focused Web site, recently conducted an unscientific poll about Wayans's efforts. In the poll, 84 percent of respondents say there's "no way" that Wayans should be allowed to own rights to the word. Ten percent say, "Why not," and the remainder say, "I don't know."

"I would hope it would be used in an instructive way," says Sheryl Huggins, Nia's editor in chief. "Until we know how he wants to use it, the jury's out."

Wayans's attorney, William H. Cox, did not respond to multiple inquiries left on his voice mail in New York. But his client's intentions are clearly spelled out in the application. Wayans wants a retail store "featuring clothing, books, music and general merchandise." He would go global, marketing his wares online. There would be drama, comedy, animation -- the Gap meets Comedy Central, all under the N-word.

Several civil rights organizations declined to comment on Wayans's effort.

"We are going to focus on more important issues," says NAACP spokesman John White. The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and the National Urban League aren't bothering to comment either.

"I'm not sure who would talk about that," says Urban League spokesman Ricky Clemons.

The NAACP, at least, was more aggressive three years ago, when David T. Chang, an Asian American, created the board game "Ghettopoly," which he says was inspired by rap lyrics. The organization picketed Urban Outfitters, one of the stores that sold it, and complained that the game depicted African Americans, Latinos and Jews in stereotype as pimps, prostitutes, crack addicts and money-gouging businessmen.

Urban Outfitters got rid of the game, and Chang was forced to sell only online. Deluged by threatening calls and negative e-mail, Chang unplugged his phone, pleading, in the end, "I'm not a racist person."

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11832034/

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WAYONS is becoming synonymous with MINSTREL/SAMBO/TOM/Peice of sh*t

I knew Marlon and Sean were minstrels . .. but I see Damon
    ain't far behind

I think Al jolson would love these guys

Rocket River
    . . no . . sorry . . this is the stupidest sh*t I ever heard
    the word needs to END :mad:

3. droxford

droxford Member

Really! Wow! So I can walk up to a group of black guys and say, "What's up, *****s!" and I won't get my ass kicked, right?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I liked My Wife and Kids, but this is absolutely r****ded. For one, many people simply would not buy the clothing because they would view it as racist (black, white, yellow, blue, brown, everybody). Those that would buy it, would simply walk around and be like, "Yeah, man. I'm wearing my *****'s today. They're tight." Immediately afterward, some accusation of racism would ensue, and if the situation were right, an assault would take place. :rolleyes:

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Exactly, but I'm Hispanic, so its ok if I say that as I'm a minority... ;) :p

In all seriousness, I can undestand him wanting to do it, but wouldn't it be offensive and if so, it would be up to the consumers to decide if it sells...also, schools wouldn't allow it, I'm assuming, as it is not PC...

6. Mulder

Just another reason I love "What Would Tyler Durden Do?"

and in other news Adriana Lima says she's a virgin... :eek:

[​IMG]

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I think if that happened and everybody started saying stuff like that on a regular basis, the word would begin to lose its meaning as an offensive term, which would actually be a good thing.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess that word is 'legal' in the bbs now :rolleyes:

can we start screaming Kike, Gook, Cracker, ***, WetBacks, japs, etc
    [sorry my vocabular of offensive terms it not that big]

Is the B-word legal now

I ain't trying to get kicked off the bbs
    but
    I would appreciate folx not using the N-word in its complete form
    at least us an *
    If not. . .then I guess i will just start slinging around all ther other
    offensive terms. . .

Rocket River

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

But that's not what is going on. They are talking about the article, not calling people names. That's two completely different things.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't forget Mick!!!

11. Mulder

http://www.rsdb.org/

almost 2400 racial slurs to choose from. :eek:

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

I speak from experience, some people get really angry if a white guy drops the N-word.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Well people have been throwing around "Chinaman" for years on the BBS. In fact there are many who will argue against it being offensive.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ohh Ms Lima.

She'll be a top seed in the tourney.

15. Two Sandwiches

If I offended you, I'll go ahead and apologize now. I, for one, have never and would never say the word in real life. In fact, I even hesitated to use it in my post. It took me about three minutes to decide to do it.

I guess I was just using it for effect to show how it would become even more part of an everyday language, offending people more and more. I didn't mean to offend anyone here, I just meant to show the outlandishness of the situation.

With that said, I do believe that if someone were to put out a clothing company in that name, it would further villify the slander of the word, from the point of view of a racist (If that makes sense). Especially since the style of clothing would be more "street/urban."

After all that, I do not even have a hint of prejudice in me, I'm just stating my opinion of people's reactions.

16. Two Sandwiches

To coin a new phrase:

That's what we like to call, "Pulling a Pickler." :rolleyes:

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

But in my defense....

Just had to add that bit from his Wikipedia biography. Alcohol + athlete's brain = good decisions. Can't wait till 30 years from now, when this guy's propositioning sideline reporters a la Joe Namath.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Don't worry about it
    I'm not so much offended by it
    as
    it seems to be creeping into the BBS more and more
    Little by little. . . it shows up here. . up there
    until I see a day when I can't read a thread without it being thrown out
    I prefer to take preventative measures by calling it out now

I don't think you are a racist
    In fact there are few people on here that I think are
    [Some folx have a bias]