1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Damn] 11 year old boy bullied over cartoon attempts suicide and faces lifelong brain damage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=9418689

This is so damn sad. Only 11 years old and was bullied for liking "My Little Pony." Cute kid too. WTF. Some people claim bullying should be illegal. Some blame the parents. And some the school. People are even saying that bullies are necessary part of growing up because it helps kids prepare for the future and kinda teaches them to "man up." What do you think? I'm praying for the full recovery of this kid and comfort for the family. Lawsuits coming up?

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I was bullied as a child because I didn't speak English. Never thought about killing myself. Then people tried to pick on me because I was the only Chinese guy in a black school. Never occurred to me to kill myself either. How the hell did we get here that young kids turn to suicide just because of bullying. :(

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lawsuits? How about paying attention to your kids and talking to them once in a while.

It's always someone else's fault.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

thats sad but really whats up with boys/adult men and this bronies crap???

poor kid :(

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A generation of lazy parenting. Read the article:

How about you try teaching your kid instead of letting the TV do it.

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That's terrible. Every bone in my body would tell me to protect my son from these bullies at almost any cost.

School should have done their part if they were aware.

Parents should have stepped in if they were aware. That's a lot for a child to deal with all by himself.

I don't let anyone bully anyone in my class.

And parents still getting threats. I would go ape ***** and beat someones ass in the dirt.

Some kids are stronger than others. Some kids can deal with this. Obviously others can't.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

What leads you to believe these parents didn't pay attention to their child?

Who's fault was it that this kid was bullied to this point?

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When I wonder about this, one answer I heard makes a bit of sense. Bullying in the past takes place at school and stop once you are home. Bullying today takes place at school and can continue whenever and wherever you are with the always-connected life (through social media) kids usually live in today.

1 person likes this.
  9. BonziWellsGOAT

That is really sad....I guess it's parenting but I really dont get the idea that killing yourself is the best solution to bullying and what I perceive(d) to be normal childhood things. Im pretty sure everyone got picked on at one point in time as kids, I know I did but I dished it back and never thought about killing myself because of it. I just might get mad hell I probably even got sad before but never thought about taking my own life (especially that young!)

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

yup i really hate to blame stuff on the media but it plays a huge role in children's lives. monkey see, monkey do type stuff. the generation to come is way too desensitized in the sense of homicides, mass homicides and suicides and things of that nature

at 11 yrs old, i dont even think i knew what suicide was? let alone thinking about it.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ask bigtexxx to do it for you.

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Man...part me wishes I had never read this. This is terrible and sad. And it makes me angry. is the solution to raise our kids to have thicker skin? Is it to make sure there are open lines of communication with kids to where they can feel comfortable talking to adults about this kind of stuff.

I kind of hate you a little for making me aware of this story. :(

13. BonziWellsGOAT

Idk if he actually means that or is just whoring around for any sort of attention he can.

Typical internet moron.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Probably a combo of both. Bullying in some fashion is always going to be around. Kids will have to learn to deal with it somehow. When you are 30 and think you are getting pushed around by your boss or a supervisor, there isnt going to be a teacher you can run to who will tell him to stop.

15. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I'll bite. When I was younger I attended a 99% majority white "prestigious" school in a high end area of Houston. Yeah, I'll admit I took some serious heat for being one of the rare minorities there. Additionally, they were pissed because I was one of the top performing students academically there, and they were in disbelief that "a futureless beaner could walk in here and perform better than his human superiors." It did get to me pretty bad at one point, but in the end, I'm still here. Death threats and all.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I hope they punish the parents of all the bullies.

Edit: Reminds of the movie Disconnect

1 person likes this.
  17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its sad, but to play the devil's advocate it was inevitable he would have gotten bullied. It'd be nice if everyone was accepting of everyone's interests no matter how weird, but let's be realistic. If you truly were a brony, that's that **** you keep hidden from other people.

18. BonziWellsGOAT

Similar experience except Im a white guy and went to a mostly black school....after the first year it wasnt bad because everyone knew me.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah I agree but is 11 yrs old young enough to not really be a brony?

I mean idk if hes even old enough to know.

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Not speaking for these posters, but some people who downplay cyber-bullying/modern bullying recall their past when they were bullied. Children who grew up in the 70s through the 90s faced bullying in a different environment. They 'manned' up eventually. They resent the sympathy for these children when they received none. They think kids nowadays are too coddled or kill themselves because of attention. The internet and modern media puts these stories in the headlines. Where was my spotlight when I was growing up, they say. I had to fend for myself alone.

Bullying has a terrible impact on people. Bullying made Harry Truman into the man he was. It dominated his foreign policy. He considered himself feminine, and was bullied because of it. Several thousands of people died around the globe because he felt he had something to prove when he came into office.

The schools that I attended were very strict regarding it i.e. corporal punishment by the headmaster, expulsion, etc. I never saw it much when growing up, thankfully. Lastly, there is a difference between being bullied and knowing how to stand up for yourself and the people you care.