1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino can you please not speak to the media?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I don't know but Cuttino just doesn't seem like a person who will ever mature. This guy always says to the media stuff that he doesn't need to. Here is the latest Trainer Keith Jones said if the swelling in Olajuwon's calf is too great to allow him to play Saturday, he also would miss Sunday's game because of the swelling in the leg that would come with the flight to Phoenix.

"That hurts us real bad," guard Cuttino Mobley said. "Kelvin Cato's back and Carlos (Rogers) got a couple minutes for us. But it's really up to Steve and me to carry us. But they did a great job considering they don't get that much time."

This guy will never learn and its just too unbearable to watch at times, for example, in the Hawks game Shandon drives the lane and gets fouled with the ball still bouncing on the cylinder Cuttino jumps and trys to dunk it. This could have cost us the game, and obviously Shandon was a bit ticked off.

This is purely speculation but I think if Cuttino were a wee-bit more mature Shandon wouldn't be opting out this year. A player like Barkley or Malone would keep Mobley in check. Hopefully whoever we sign in the offseason will put Mobes in his or her(can't forget about the WNBA) pocket and make Mobley a better player.

------------------
    ``It's bigger than chalupas,''.....Wesley Person

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

His thought process baffles me from time to time, but Mobley is one helluva player, and an asset to our future.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Shan is not stayin ?? when was this announced?
    I hadn't heard..true? or just your speculation?

------------------

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

pure speculation.

and, btw,

or you upset over what he said or who he said it to? judging by the thread title, i'd say it's who he said it to. cuttino was telling the truth, really. but he could have phrased it a little differently.

i don't think charles barkley (Mr. Quotable, himself) or karl "trade me this season" malone are the men to reproach him in that area. [​IMG]

what cat said was true. the bulk of the scoring goes to him and steve. the two leaders of the team are him and steve. and really, he did give props to carlos and cato for the commendable job they did, given limited time.

it's not that bad, really.

------------------
    Lt. Roastabotch reporting for duty!

5. Toast

Toast Member

Couldn't he just say something like, "We all need to step our game up while Dream is away because he does so many things for us" instead of just saying that he & Steve Francis have to carry the team?

I think this quote is very representative of how Mobley feels about the team and thus gives you an insight on his actions on the court.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

What is wrong with Cuttinos statement? He's right, Mobley and Steve need to carry the team.

People are already seeming to forget that Mobley signed for much less than his market value. By doing that he has set this franchise up for future success. Now, Shandon Anderson or any other middle of the pack free-agent couldn't possibly ask for more than Cuttino Mobley is making. And they certainly will not feel mistreated or unapperciated to be making a little less or as much as Mobley, who is an NBA superstar in the making.

Also, Mobley is not inmature because he likes to atack the rim after a presumed missed shot.

------------------

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Francis and Mobley account for 40 points a game. The majority is still coming from elsewhere. And while he nods toward Rogers and Cato, he ignores those who provided the rest of the scoring punch, mainly Taylor (21) and Williams (11).

But there are other things to winning ballgames besides points. What about Anderson's good D, 6 assists and strong rebounding in the Clip game? His quote makes him sound like he thinks he's all alone out there. Hopefully, it's horribly out of context here.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man it's like some people just LOOK for the negative things about Cuttino Mobley. I mean that is just digging the bottom of the barrel and taking something vague like that statement and just running away with it! I'm pretty sure when he said it was up to him and Francis to carry them he meant they were the main scoring options. I don't know if Mobley can ever do anything right for some people.

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited March 09, 2001).]

9. RocksMillenium

When did Shandon Anderson say he was opting out of his contract because of Cuttino Mobley? Do you have a link to an article or something?

------------------

10. Toast

Toast Member

You forget the part where he says it's purely speculation.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

actually Toast, if you re-read his post he makes it sound like that he is speculating that the reason Shan IS opting out is because of Cut-tino...IMO

<font size="1">Woo-hoo post #300..took me long enough</font>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockets2K (edited March 09, 2001).]

12. RocksMillenium

My bad, I missed the speculation part. Again I ask, why is Mobley being "immature" going to make Shandon want to opt out? And why do people just overreact to everything that Mobley says?

We're winning games and Mobley is our second best scorer and scoring option. He does some wild things, but the guy doesn't hurt the team, so I don't know why a lot of people don't like him. I saw a post praising Mobley and a few people responded, say something negative and people come out of the woodworks pointing out the negative things he does on the court, saying he might run people off the team, and saying he's immature. Basically calling him a cancer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited March 09, 2001).]

13. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I think some people hate Mobley guts so much is beacause they want to be like him. You know, the stepping away from post game rhetoric and speaking your mind, and hissing at the Atlana crowd to shut the f0ck up - twice - these things. C'mon don't you wished people called you the Cat? Don't you wished you had the paws to hang on rims and kick Cato in the ass?

Why do people hate the cat, so. Is it because you can't realate to him. Well, thats how it should be. He's a the cat and your just joe, so go, and let the kitty be.

------------------

14. Toast

Toast Member

Woah, woah, woah.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Mobley-hater. You say he helps the team, and I agree. He does help the team. But he would help the team even more if he could do more to get everyone involved. Maybe it seems to me that he doesn't get everyone involved because of the Iso system ... you could argue that, and I wouldn't disagree with you. But if you think it's all about helping the team, then you can't deny something Cat can improve on is getting guys like Shandon & Wiz more involved in the offense.

ESPECIALLY when he's having a poor shooting night.
    ------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

[This message has been edited by Toast (edited March 09, 2001).]

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Sounds like Cuttino trying to assume a leadership role to me. Isn't that a sign of maturity?

------------------

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Only if Francis says it.

------------------
    "****!" --Kenny Thomas

17. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

uh oh, Cuttino's talking to the media again. He's about to be on the NBA beat for those of you who have league pass.

------------------

18. ScreamingRocketJet

That's crap. Their's NOTHING wrong with what he said their. Man, what do you want him to say "hey...don't rely on me and Steve...it's up to the others"

Their is one main readon Anderson will opt out...because Cat is so good and is getting better. Anderson can see the writing on the wall and realises his minutes will get less and less.

------------------

19. University Blue

Mobley has not proven anything in the league to assume such a haughty attitude -- and doing so at the expense of publicly down-playing his team-mates' effort/talent. The over-the-top reaction (towards opposing fans/players) following one of his average dunks is an embarrassment to the team. Mobley, at best, is an above average bench player. A bench player who has confUSED his friendship with one of the team's (two future) franchise players with the right to self-proclaim an un-earned team leadership role.

(If Houston has the opportunity, they should try to sign Allan Houston to start next to Francis.)

<hr width=50%>

Houston losing Anderson will be a step in the wrong direction. I do not see any of the guards playing better one-on-one defense than Anderson. Anderson's perimeter shooting is suspect, but it's defense that wins championships.

University (Kitty Pride -- Too Much or Not Enough) Blue

------------------
    Not only have the Bryce Drew and Jason Williams bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

20. The Voice of Reason

YOU PEOPLE ARE r****dED!!! [​IMG] :p [​IMG]

I mean that in the nicest possible way though. [​IMG] I couldnt bare to read all the posts here, but it is obviousthat most of you guys wernt reading carefully.

by this statement Cat mentions how important Hakeem is, and that he and steve will have to carry the team. not that they have BEEN carrying it, but that they will have to work extra hard to make up for Hakeems absence. WHERE IS THE FAULT IN THAT???

also he mentioned some of his teamates stepping it up, but does it bother you so much that he didnt mention averyone on the roster?? its not like he was listing the ONLY contributers, but merely the first two teamates that came to mind. infact the ONLY two that play CENTER(Hakeems position) Also you do not know the question that was asked to him.

it could have been: Cat, what are you and Steve gonna have to do to help this team concidering Hakeems injury??

Nuff said!!

PEACE

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com