1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry - Most Impact On How Basketball Is Played This Generation?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Mar 16, 2015.

1. crossover

crossover Member

Not a discussion on the best, MVP, or even if you are a fan - simply, how much Curry's game will impact how basketball is played. When I go ball lately, college kids and younger are constantly talking about how to emulate Curry. It reminds me of the Jordan era with triple threat and fadeaway jump shots, Olajuwon era with post moves and dream shakes, or Iverson killer crossovers.

Some talking points:

Legitimacy
    A. Bonafide superstar, leading a top team
    B. Historic offensive statistics
    C. Style fit with NBA trend of 3 and inside.
    D. Relatively unique

Style Attributes
    1. "Free flow" dribbling (as opposed to set moves or practiced jukes)
    2. Quick release with more of a free form shooting motion.
    3. High energy, quick
    4. Intelligence
    5. Guard, relatively short and unassuming athletic body (least dependent on physical gifts).

A and B give him the national spotlight. C helps legitimize his style. D ensures he's unique no overlap with other players. 4 and 5 ensure a demographic of basketball players aren't alienated from his style (especially that Curry is a relatively short 6'3). 1-3 are what young players are emulating. Unlike Durant, Lebron, Davis, WB, or even Harden - Curry's effectiveness is the least correlated with natural physical gifts. As a corollary, what he does is also the most coachable.

2 people like this.
  2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Not many players can duplicate what he does so I don't think he is a game changer.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Nice write up, repped. But, I believe Curry's shooting ability is what sets him apart from the pack. He's definitely elite at all of the Style Attributes that you listed, but outside of his shooting, the rest of those characteristics aren't terribly difficult to find around the league and at the amateur/college level.

What makes Steph special, as you detailed in your OP, is that he brings ALL of that to the table and at an elite level. Plus he's one of the best shooters to ever play the game. It's going to be hard to emulate that.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Curry is at this rate one of the NBA's greatest pure shooters... ever? If not in general, then definitely off the dribble.

If that is the impact, then I guess?

But HOPEFULLY everybody understands this simple statement - the better a shooter you are, the better a player you will be.

If the point is that while everybody has always understood that, there was a period where young-ones focused more on flashy dunks than pure shooting... then sure, I can see that being the case.

But I'd also just note generally, it's the game as a whole shifting the 3's and inside the lane that is most likely to impact future generations.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

By the numbers, Curry is the greatest shooter in NBA history among stars. It's not as simple as saying be like him, he has an all time elite skill. If he were just a good shooter instead of elite his value would plummet. Everything he does is predicated off teams being terrified of his shooting.

His combo of near elite ball handling and super elite shooting is basically unparalleled with the exception of Steve Nash.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

Curry is GOAT shooter

Harden is GOAT free throw drawer,

I'd rather grow up trying to emulate Curry than Harden. Curry's game is more aesthetically pleasing and depends less on athleticism or whistles.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Can't touch Lbron James and his flopping.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Curry is kind of like Iverson. These guys aren't especially big and strong. So the average kid can think to himself, "I can play like that." Of course extremely few kids can actually play like that because they don't have the speed, the body control, and the shooting touch.

No kid wants to play like LeBron because you have to have his body type to be like him. No kid wants to play like Harden because they just don't think beards are cool. (And what kid likes shooting free throws?)

The only other guy kids want to emulate is Meyers Leonard because he looks like Justin Bieber.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wardell Stephen "Steph" Curry II

I guess he did not want to be Dell Curry II
    I remember his dad . . ..

Looking at these Second Gen NBAers
    they all better than their dads
    [with the exception of Isaiah Thomas Jr]

Rocket River

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You know Zeke wasn't his dad, right? His name is Isaiah because his dad lost a bet to a Piston's fan.

11. Lovemachine2000

Don't know if serious... You are aware that they are not related right?

12. Aleron

Aleron Member

He's undoubtedly the "everyman"

13. withmustard

withmustard Member

To name a few players who aren't as good as their dad, Glenn Robinson, Glen Rice, the Barrys, Patrick Ewing, Luke Walton,

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes because he's the easiest to emulate.

Let me explain. He's 6'3"/190lbs...He's a bit taller than most people as most NBA players are, but still skills can be added with practice.

Guys like Anthony Davis and Lebron James cannot be emulated unless you are just born with the size and body type that they are. Those are freaks, in a good way that is.

Harden even is harder to emulate because he has an unorthodox style. You are not taught to drive the lane and stick out your arms and present the ball. It's just some strange thing he does, as Dirk's strange one legged jumper...it's not something a coach would teach.

Curry though is as technically skilled as they come. Not saying it's easy to be Curry, that takes years of practice and hard work. Just saying that the way he shoots the ball and all of his skills is how it is taught. He gets flashy at times but that doesn't take away from how technically sound he is.

15. hakeemthagreat

I'm just not a huge Steph Curry fan. Good player having a great season. But he's more of a product of the new NBA rules than so called MVP caliber. You can't touch perimeter player these days without fouling. So if you can shoot really good off the dribble it's impossible to defend you. The NBA is soft and so is Steph Curry

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

Curry is the best shooter ever. It's hard to emulate that.

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Gilbert Arenas did it before it as cool.

18. conquistador#11

this generation? i guess they forgot how players used to be able to shoot back in the day. that's what I like about curry, his shot.
    i'm more interested on how is it that the kids of great players can barely get on a college roster; yet kids from journeymen can be great? basketball, football, futbol, films and life in general.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

Read the SI article on Harden. His HS coach taught him to draw fouls.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes one coach out of many though?

In OKC he was taught the opposite in his own admission. To hold the ball close and protect it.