1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Criminals Suck] Credit Card Duped

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyDave, Jul 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Not looking for advice or anything, I'm just ranting.

I had my credit card "duplicated" by some criminal this week while I was in Htown, and they have made fraudulent charges all over the place. Sucks.

I could narrow it down regarding how, when and where it happened, but not zero in on it, so I will not throw names around of the places it could have occurred, but I'm pretty sure it was at a gas station inside the loop. Since then, hundreds of dollars in charges, made at various places that I don't frequent, started showing up on my account today while I'm in another city, and now I'm having to resolve it all. Luckily the card issuer saw the pattern and started denying the charges today, but not before a slew of crap to deal with had accumulated. I was informed that they had "created a duplicate of my credit card."

I'm not a big credit card type of person, and don't carry several of them, so this is going to be a sincere pain in the ass.

Get a job, punks.

That is all.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

actually, you should use credit cards for that very reason...fraudulent charges. CC fraud is a lot easier to handle (the bank can remove the charges instantly) then say someone using your debit card and stealing money from your bank account. there's plenty of protection with CCs. But trying to recover real money stolen from your checking account will take months.

3. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Yeah, Credit Cards> Debit for security.

Especially with all the points/miles you can get.. why not use a credit card.

4. CrazyDave

This is not why I don't use a lot of them. I just don't, and thus this incident will make life difficult for a few days, hopefully that's the extent of it.

And I wouldn't say -instantly- either, regarding recovery. It will take up to 10 days to recover the funds lost. Glad they caught on as quickly as they did though.

5. macalu

it's a minor inconvenience at worst. credit card gets canceled and they send you a new one. you didn't get cheated out of any real money.

6. Asian Sensation

Straight cash homie.

7. CrazyDave

lol, I'm glad it doesn't seem to bother you, but it is going to be a pain in my butt for the next few days while it gets resolved.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've had my credit card number stolen and duped a few times. It's not a big deal at all. CC company calls me about an attempted transaction to Russia which they stopped. Another time someone duped my card and bought a 1k TV from Best Buy. CC company cancelled and sent me a new card no problem and I didn't get charged for anything.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

why? Because you have to make a few phone calls? Would you rather have them steal your cash? There would be no way to claim your money back. You didn't lose any money dude.

10. CrazyDave

This was a slew of lesser charges that added up quickly. They did catch on, but not before hundreds of dollars had been racked up.

Bottom line, I can't use my card until I get a new one, and it so happens getting a new one is going to coincide with my not being able to check my mail, while needing to use my card a good deal.

Look, I didn't say the sky was falling, I said criminals suck and this will be a pain in the ass. Thanks to those coming to argue differently though.

11. macalu

maybe this is the first time this has happened to you and it's making you feel overwhelmed. in the overall scheme of things, it's not a big deal. and when it happens again (and it will) you'll see how lucky you were that you used a CC.

12. macalu

i wasnt' trying to argue really. was trying to put your mind at ease.

13. CrazyDave

Yeah. Overwhelmed. Thanks for your insight. :rolleyes:

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

15. joepu

joepu Member

Really listen to what everyone else is saying. I've had this happen to me and it's no big deal. One quick call is all it takes to resolve. Don't worry, the credit card company won't give you any grief about taking charges off.

Debit cards though - One time I lost my ATM/debit card and didn't realize it right away. Then I found out that people can use it like a credit card and the charges come immediately off your bank account. Fortunately, I was able to get my money back but it took awhile to get it resolved.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

yeah Crazydave, what's your deal about getting mildly upset about your credit card getting stolen and racking up fraudulent charges?

It's a blessing you'll see!

17. CrazyDave

For the sake of those dodging the clarity here, I'm not worried about resolution being a problem, or how long I've been on the phone, it's the time it will take to get my several hundred dollars back (up to 10 days) and the inconvenience of not having a credit card for a week.

Surely it isn't that hard to understand?

And yes, I just called you shirley.

18. Major

Major Member

Why do you have to get your several hundred dollars back? It's just numbers on a card - it never came out of your pocket in the first place and shouldn't affect you in any way.

The inconvenience certainly sucks - if you rely on credit cards, it's generally a good idea to always have at least 2 cards for that reason. If one is compromised, you just use the other.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You must be using a debit card if you actually have money taken out of your account. For credit cards they just wipe the charge off your card and you never have to pay it.

20. CrazyDave

Yeah, because it is a visa check card. Should have made that distinction. The money gone is gone until they restore it. In up to 10 days.

I do have another account that I should have a card for (that I don't carry or even know where it is) so I'm hoping to round that up to get me through the week with the things I need to do (leave town).