1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Crazy B] Mayor of Anchorage QUITS after affair w/ local news host who shared a naked photo of him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

link

The married mayor of Anchorage has resigned after admitting to having an 'inappropriate messaging relationship' with a local TV reporter just days after she made false allegations that he had shared images of his genitals on a website featuring underage girls.

TV reporter Maria Athens, 41, also posted a naked photo online that she claimed was Mayor Ethan Berkowitz, 58, who on Monday admitted the relationship happened several years ago.

Berkowitz didn't appear at the meeting of the Anchorage Assembly on Tuesday but his chief of staff Jason Bockenstedt read a statement which garnered cheers from attendees.

'It is with profound sadness and humility that I resign as Mayor of the Municipality of Anchorage,' Jason Bockenstedt read before being interrupted by applause and cheering.

[​IMG]

Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz, 58, resigned from his position on Tuesday. On Monday admitted to having a consensual relationship with 41-year-old Anchorage TV reporter Maria Athens several years ago. They are pictured above together in 2018

His chief of staff read a statement at the meeting of the Anchorage Assembly, saying: 'It is with profound sadness and humility that I resign as Mayor'

After attendees were instructed to stop by Assembly Chair Felix Rivera, Bockenstedt added on behalf of the mayor: 'My resignation results from unacceptable personal conduct that has compromised my ability to perform my duties with the focus and trust that is required.

'I know my conduct has done great injury to my family, my staff, to municipal employees and to the people of our community, and for that I am deeply sorry.'

The mayor's time will come to an end at 6pm on October 23 to ensure a smooth transition.

Municipal Manager Bill Falsey said at the meeting that as a police investigation was ongoing they created a 'firewall' between the mayor and the city to ensure a probe that was 'by the book.'

Despite the FBI finding no wrongdoing, authorities concluded that 'it would be untenable for the mayor to continue in his role' and 'the mayor independently arrived at the same conclusion,' Falsey said.

A special election could be held as Alaska's largest city isn't due for another election until April.

Assemblywoman Jamie Allard made a motion to reorganize to choose a new chair on Tuesday but it failed 8-3.

Municipal Manager Bill Falsey said authorities concluded that 'it would be untenable for the mayor to continue in his role' and the mayor thought the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'My resignation results from unacceptable personal conduct that has compromised my ability to perform my duties with the focus and trust that is required,' Berkowitz continued in the statement. The nature of messages he shared with Athens is unknown

[​IMG]

Athens has interviewed Berkowitz on several occasions. Berkowitz was elected to his second three-year term as mayor in 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'I know my conduct has done great injury to my family, my staff, to municipal employees and to the people of our community, and for that I am deeply sorry,' Berkowitz said in the statement. He has two children with his wife Mara Kimmel (pictured above)

He has recently been unpopular due to coronavirus lockdowns.

In an earlier statement before his resignation Berkowitz said: 'I apologize to the people of Anchorage for a major lapse in judgment I made several years ago when I had a consensual, inappropriate messaging relationship with reporter Maria Athens.

'I'm embarrassed and ashamed for the hurt I've caused my family and our community. I take responsibility for my actions.'

It is not clear how long the relationship between Berkowitz and Athens lasted and what the messages involved.

Berkowitz has two children with his wife Mara Kimmel.

The ordeal started when Athens, the anchor for the combined Fox/ABC station in Anchorage that operates as Your Alaska Link, first posted a video on her Facebook page on Friday.

Athens claimed she would break a story that Berkowitz had posted nude photos of himself to a website that featured underage girls. The video appeared to be filmed by someone else on a cellphone inside the TV studio.

Maria Athens accuses Anchorage Mayor of posting nude photos

[​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Continued:

The ordeal started to unfold when Athens, the anchor for the combined Fox/ABC station in Anchorage that operates as Your Alaska Link, first posted a video on her Facebook page on Friday

'Breaking news. According to reliable sources, Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowtiz has his male genitalia posted on an underage girls website,' Athens said in the video.

[​IMG]

Athens then posted on Facebook a photo of what she claimed was the mayor's nude back side with the caption: 'Proof'. She offered no context for the photo and it has not been confirmed if it is Berkowitz

She went on to say that national news outlet would cover the allegations, saying: 'You heard it here first'.

The story that Athens promised to break never aired.

After the video started circulating online, Berkowitz's office immediately denied the unsubstantiated allegations.

His office issued a statement saying the 'slanderous allegations' were 'categorically false' and that they 'appear to be the product of someone who is hostile and unwell.'

Athens then posted on Facebook a photo of what she claimed was the mayor's nude back side with the caption: 'Proof'.

She offered no context for the photo and it has not been confirmed if it is Berkowitz.

Hours after posting the video and photo, Athens was arrested at the TV studios on Friday afternoon after getting into a physical altercation with her station manager Scott Centers.

According to court documents obtained by the Anchorage Daily News, Athens is in a romantic relationship with Centers.

She is accused of punching Centers and hitting him with her cellphone during an argument inside a car in the parking lot.

She allegedly then hit Centers again inside the TV studio, court documents say.

Police said that when she was taken into custody, Athens allegedly hit one of the officers in the chest and tried to kick the door of the police car.

She was charged with misdemeanor assault, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

Athens was released on bail on Saturday.

CEO of Coastal Television Bill Fielder distanced the network from Athens, saying the claims made by on her personal Facebook page about Berkowitz were never published by any of its news outlets.

Fielder said they had demanded Athens remove any mention or affiliation with the company in connection to the claims about Berkowitz.

The video and photo remained on Athens' Facebook page as of Tuesday.

Fielder would not confirm if Athens has been fired.

[​IMG]

After posting the video and photo, Athens was arrested at the TV studios on Friday afternoon after getting into a physical altercation with her station manager Scott Centers who she was in a relationship with. It is not clear if Athens has been fired from the station

Police said they had stationed officers at Berkowitz's home over the weekend after a threat was made against him.

They would not confirm the nature of the threat.

Local news outlet the Anchorage Press on Monday obtained a voicemail they say Athens left for Berkowitz on Friday in which she threatened to kill him and made anti-Semitic remarks.

Hours after posting the video and photo, Athens was arrested at the TV studios on Friday afternoon after getting into a physical altercation with her station manager Scott Centers. According to court documents obtained by the Anchorage Daily News , Athens is in a romantic relationship with Centers

'Ethan, it's Maria Athens from Fox/NBC/CW/News Net National Alaska,' the woman in the recording says.

'I'm so f***ing exposing you. I'm gonna get an Emmy. So you either turn yourself in, kill yourself, or do what you need to do. I will personally kill you and Mara Kimmel my god damn self, you Jewish piece of living f***ing s**t. You have met your match, motherf***er.

'I am such a good person and thought I loved you.'

It is not clear if that voicemail is the same threat mention by police.

In his statement acknowledging the relationship, Berkowitz said: 'It takes time to rebuild trust and I hope you afford me the opportunity to do so. During the remaining months of my term, I will continue working on the important issues we face.'

Berkowitz was elected to his second three-year term as mayor in 2018. The non-partisan position is limited to two terms. He is a native of San Francisco who is also a lawyer and Anchorage businessman.

He served as a Democrat in the Alaska House of Representative from 1997-2006. He served the last two years as minority leader.

[​IMG]

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Perfect GIF lol

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

She looks crazy from a mile away. This guy should have known better. I have no sympathy.

Yung-T, ryan_98, RustyHarden and 8 others like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Clearly, this story needs more photos.

Yung-T, Deckard, Ubiquitin and 8 others like this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Clearly, not of the mayor.

Yung-T, Invisible Fan, Sajan and 7 others like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Crazy eyes.

Would definitely hit.

Who is the cuckold that took that video in the 1st place?

ryan_98, Sajan, Ubiquitin and 4 others like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What this thread definitely doesnt need any more video clips allowing that deep, horse lunged voice to ever be heard again. Shes a news anchor?? Not a channel Id tune into.

[​IMG]

Sajan, Ubiquitin and saitou like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Holy ****! That is going to be legendary. She looks sort of manly... eeek.

11. conquistador#11

"Sometimes they'll stab you with a fork. " Barney a visionary.

Nook likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Anyone who has watched any 1980's movies would know the signs.

[​IMG]

13. Nook

Nook Member

I get it.......... a guy in his 50's, staring down his 60's and likely slowing down.

Everyone thinks he is a nice guy, but he never really got the attention of the really sexy girls and he always wondered what it was like to have nasty and hard sex with a REALLY attractive woman........

[​IMG]

I am sure he loves his wife.... he would never leave her, but she really isn't one of THOSE girls and with the kids, and at nearly 60.... well for as nice and as good as the relationship is, it isn't naughty and sex isn't often or great at this point........ 5 minutes on her back while she stares at the wall.

[​IMG]

Then out of the blue a sexy woman, 20 years younger than you shows interest in you. She is one of those sexy girls and she leads the relationship. She likes to do all kinds of crazy things and she makes you feel powerful and you want to do things with her. Hell, what harm is there exchanging photos and texts, it really isn't cheating and the wife will never know.

Three years go by.... and he realized that he didn't want to lose his wife, upset his kids or disrupt his life. While the girlfriend is exciting and better in some ways.... she is 20 years younger, a lot of work and kind of spiteful......... so let's just end it.

[​IMG]

Okay so she will have to understand right..... we had fun and she needs to leave my family out of it. She isn't really THAT crazy right? What does she want? I have some power but not really THAT kind of power.

Except she IS that crazy.

[​IMG]

So now his wife is hurt.... his kids are hurt.... he will forever be remembered for publicly cheating on his wife...... and his career is ruined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] AMATEUR!

Yung-T, ryan_98, davidio840 and 10 others like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Your analysis has one fatal flaw though: the crazy mistress was not very sexy. But then... I don't know much about life in the great Northlands. :eek: It's always relative, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for including lots of photos.

Yung-T, IBTL, Ubiquitin and 2 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

She isn't terribly sexy to me either........ but compared to his wife she is I suppose. I see **** like this all the time...

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

A lot of effort was put into this thread. Bravo!

Yung-T, Sajan and Deckard like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly and still would hit.

Its going back for seconds is what gets you in trouble.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

DUDE!

Tremendous work, you nailed it.

Nook likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think she is sexy, especially when she was younger and everything is relative.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*
    He tried it

I understand his motivation
    I understand hers . . . kind of

Him being married could not have been a surprised
    She stepped in eyes wide open . . .. and i mean WIDE

Rocket River

ryan_98, IBTL, Deckard and 1 other person like this.