1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Super Mario make an impact from the Rocket's Bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RioGrando, Sep 15, 2006.

1. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/15525269.htm

Warriors hire assistant; Elie out
    Elie has one year remaining on his contract but won't be on the bench
    By Marcus Thompson II
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Warriors assistant coach Mario Elie will not be back on the bench for the upcoming season, according to a team source.

Elie, when reached by phone Thursday, declined to elaborate on his situation. The team, however, indicated that the coaching staff has not been finalized.

Elie has one year remaining on his three-year contract. If he were to get an offer from another team, he would need permission from the Warriors to release him from his contract. If another coaching opportunity does not come along, Elie's role with the team could change until his contract expires.

The Warriors announced Thursday they hired another assistant coach. New head coach Don Nelson's second assistant coach hire is Stephen Silas, son of former player and coach Paul Silas. It is not uncommon for new coaches to bring in their own assistant coaches. The Warriors now have five assistants on staff: Elie, Silas, recently hired Larry Riley, Keith Smart and Russell Turner.

All five are currently under contract. Since Chris Mullin took over as executive vice president of basketball operations, the Warriors haven't had more than four assistant coaches. The league allows only three on the bench. The rest must sit behind the bench.

Elie's possible departure wouldn't be much of a surprise. He has made clear his desire to be a head coach and was a candidate for the Sacramento Kings vacancy that went to former Warriors coach Eric Musselman. Many in the NBA arena expected Elie to succeed former Warriors head coach Mike Montgomery, who was bought out to make room for Nelson. But Nelson got a three-year deal from the Warriors, which seemed to end Elie's chances of becoming the Warriors head coach in the near future.

That would really but some heart on the bench. Let's drop Charlie Ward and bring in Mario. I know we have a good - decent coaching staff, but this could be as close to having Rudy T. on the bench again as we could possibly wish for! What other coach on our bench can tell the players what it takes to get a ring anyway?

2. Omer

Omer Member

Hmm, very interesting.
    Doubt it will happen, but it would be nice.

3. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

When I read the title for a second I thought Mario Williams was quitting the Texans and coming to the Rockets bench. :p

4. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

5. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

No Way JVG will do it-- he'll stick with people he already knows like Ward

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

the more championship rockets we can reel in, the better. elie would be sweet. we need to get these former champs teaching our young guys how to be hungry...

i personally think kenny smith would be a great addition to either rockets management or to the bench as a coach. he has shown a keen business mind at least. and he knows the game.

clyde, and even horry and cassell when they retire... they could all help in some degree although not on the bench...

and of course hakeem tutoring yao would be huge.

all those guys would bring something special to our franchise, even if it isn't on the court.

and let's be honest, it would sell tickets.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I wish we could bring him on. He would be an asset even if he left soon for a head coaches job. Van Gundy will not want him though. These dead heads-Charlie Ward and Patrick Ewing-money wasted-give us a Rocket Alum

8. two-sandwiches

Do we have anyone on the coaching staff to draw double teams so he can be a succesful coach? He could defend the scorers table I guess.

I like his heart but I think JVG stresses D so much that it would make it even harder for the rockets to get FA's with another hard ass on the coaching staff....Ward is clearly the ego massager on this team. JVG throws tough reality at the players and Mr. Heisman comes in and coddles the guys until they stop crying....I guess it would be nice to have Mario to step in and keep reality on their minds. Sure give Mario a paycheck....but he should have saved his money.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I thought you meant Mario Williams...Was about to say: Let's see him get a sack first!!!

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I thought the same thing, and I also thought, if he can shoot, talk about a power forward. Dirk and Duncan would have trouble moving him around. You know, if he doesn't pan out for the Texans, it is not a bad idea. ;)

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

With the success that Avery Johnson has had I wouldnt be surprised to see teams interested in hiring Elie as head coach. Wasnt Sacremento interested at one point?

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

When Nellie was announced as the new coach of the Warriors, I was wondering if Elie would be bought out or whatever. And if he was let go by Golden State, I was wondering if he could possibly be an assistant to JVG.

Long as he doesn't go to San Antonio. We've been burnt with him as a Spur once already. Let's not do it twice.

13. aamir

aamir Member

There's still about 300 former Knicks that JVG would put on our bench before Mario.

14. bobmc

bobmc Member

Ever since I first saw Mario join the coaching ranks I thought that one day he would be an ideal coach for the Rockets. Imagine if he were able to instill that "junkyard dog" work ethinic on the Rockets. They would make it on attitude alone.
    I think he would be a great addition to the Rocket's bench and could definitely be groomed into a very qualified head coach candidate. I would like to think that JVG would appreciate his blue collar approach as it was the hallmark of all his Knick teams. They would be a great match, IMO.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I don't know jack about whether Elie has any coaching credentials, just like I don't know if Olajuwon does...although I strongly expect they do.

But just for nostalgic reasons, I want to see them on our bench again.

Remember when Elie looked awesome on the Suns bench?

You know - when he landed on them after sinking that corner 3 ball in '95.

oooh yeah. :cool:

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I would bet my house that Elie and Hakeem have more coaching ability than Ewing and Ward.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Why not? If we can put a quarterback in at PG and assistant coach, surely a DE can be a PF.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not unless he can get to the QB, his lateral quickness is killing the Texan's right now, but maybe he could help the Rockets.

DD

19. Sextuple Double

Including current ones. Isiah Thomas will be our next GM.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i would bring Elie onto the coachign staff, not to replace Ward, but Van Gundy