1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougars v Longhorns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tenchi, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

In 1968, the heavily favored Texas Longhorns opened the season versus the Houston Cougars in Austin. The game ended in a 20-20 draw, but the Cougars were the real winners that evening. Several African-Americans, unlike their all white Longhorn counterparts, led the Cougar squad. The Cougars had earned the respect of the Longhorns, but not of their fans.

In order to join the Southwest Conference, UH had to bend over to big ca$h daddy UT. UT did not want UH to play in a domed stadium (wait, didn’t you guys want us to play in the Astrodome last year?), and wanted to put a 5-year no-compete clause on the Cougars. UH played the 1976 season at Rice Stadium for your pleasure. Fortunately, we did compete and won 3 out of the first 4 conference titles. So the hatred grew…

The last 3 years my respect for UT has dropped to zero. First in 2000, booing our band while they played the school song helped show your true colors. Then last year, unfairly ripping on our campus and stadium. It was our HOME GAME. How about sharing some of the PUF, you ungrateful bastards ? Maybe its best for both schools to just part ways.

UT fans are some of the most arrogant, cocky, conceited, SOBs I’ve ever met in my life. Not all, just some. This is , Houston ,Texas baby – we don’t put up with that crap, take that stuff back to Hippie Hollow. I’m glad though that I don’t attend your university. Just when you think UT has turned the corner in football, you realize Mack Brown (1.7 million dollar man) coaches them [​IMG] and their QB is Rick Mir…oops Chris Simms. Gift-wrapped championships don’t come every year.

Keep those national recruiting championships coming. And uh…keep your ego’s in check cause yall are about to be humbled on national TV (October 12th) real soon.

2. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

The last 3 years my respect for UT has dropped to zero. First in 2000, booing our band while they played the school song helped show your true colors. Then last year, unfairly ripping on our campus and stadium.

Your band sucks. Your school song sucks. Your campus sucks. Your stadium sucks.

We've already got enough rivals, we don't need another one.

Sincerely,
    ca$h daddy

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gosh, UH people don't like us Longhorns. We should all cry right now. Boo****ingwoo. :(

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Hey, we're almost even, then.

Maybe your respect for UT is somehow tied to the number of wins your program manages per year, and that's why it dropped to 0 recently.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to the University of Houston for law school...

My dad got his business degree at the University of Houston...

I grew up in Houston...

University of Houston...you're no UT.

The University of Texas is a top tier school...with top tier athletics...

This may be HOUSTON, Texas....but it's still Texas...and it's still THE UNIVERSITY OF Texas.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Boo****ingwoo? I, of course, meant boo****ing<B>hoo</B>.

Kagy, do you have season tickets?

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Some people hate UT more than they love their own school. Tenchi, you're almost as obsessed as our resident land thief.

BTW, Simms and company will be able to pick the score in this game. NO chance for Cougar High. Tubbs and Vasher may be out though, but does it really matter? They could pick two people from the stands to fill their spots and UT still covers.

8. BrianKagy

RM95: I do not have season tickets this season. My hookup last year was a friend of my then-girlfriend's, so obviously when she and I broke up, that arrangement was off.

I plan to buy them next year, when I join the Longhorn Foundation. I figure a donation of $1000, plus being in the Exes, should get me OU tickets. It ****ing better.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You interested in going?

We normally have extra tickets...not sure about Saturday's game, but I can put you on our list. :)

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

U of H SUCKS!! End of story

11. BrianKagy

Damn, I appreciate the offer, but I'm supposed to go mountain biking at Rocky Hills Ranch Saturday-- it's pretty doubtful I'll be back in time for the kickoff.

Seriously, thanks though. I do appreciate it.

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Geez, I don't know why you all hate other Texas schools. It makes no sense to me. I mean, I go to UH, but then again, I like both UT and A&M alot too. Hey, we're all Texans. I like to reserve my hatred for schools in different states...

And Rice, of course.

13. haven

haven Member

Rocketman95:

I'd kill for an extra ticket, if you don't find someone else ;).

UH people:

Your school isn't as good academically. It's not as good athletically. Stop whining. Only inferior people have a problem with superiority

;)

(note: I expressly disclaim the belief that all people who went to UH are inferior. Just those who exercise irrational hatred of UT).

14. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

their is nothing better than a little friendly rivalry!

sports would not be as much fun without it. Rivalrys are a good thing as long as their is no violence

15. goophers

goophers Member

The thought that UH has a chance in hell to beat UT :rolleyes:
    The thought that UT is gonna win it all this year :rolleyes:

Before you bash UT, don't act like UH is in their league as far as football is concerned. The fans don't care, the stadium sucks, and they sucked last year, beyond words. Before you bash UH, don't act like everyone thinks UT is this great place to go. Outside of Texas, UT and A&M are pretty much twin hick country football-groupie sisters to the average Joe. They both have a bad rep, and UH is just pretty much unknown. That said, at least UT is the older sister, since they have won a national championship before.

If you UT people want to bash UH though, just remember:
    HAKEEM THE DREAM and CLYDE THE GLYDE :p

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And if he does find someone else, kill them!

17. haven

haven Member

goophers:

Not true. I went to BC for undergrad, and when I mentioned to peopel that I was going to UT for Law, most were quite impressed. UT's grad schools in particular are extremely well-regarded nation-wide.

At the undergrad level, UT has an excellent faculty, but class sizes are far too large. So if you don't mind this, it's a good school. But I admit it bothered me, which is why I went the private route for undergrad.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

haven,

I'm not sure if Major has an extra ticket for this Saturday. There's a couple of other BBSers that he's contacted, and I don't know the results. E-mail me with your contact info, and I'll keep you updated.

Kagy, you're officially on the list as well...don't hurt yourself this weekend.

Major, I hope you don't mind that I'm doing this! :)

19. goophers

goophers Member

When you were talking to these people, you were talking to people who were also interested in grad school, correct? Going from high school into college, when I was considering different schools, I was thinking about U of I, MIT, UT, Rice, and UH. Rice, MIT, and UI impressed most people. Comments for UH that I still remember: 'never heard of them...are they any good?', 'why there?', 'Phi Slamma Jamma!', 'in Houston, Texas?', etc. The comments for UT were 'You wanna be a cowboy?' and jokes about if I would wear shoes to class. Neither school is respected like they should be. For certain fields, UH is actually an excellent school, and I have a lot of respect for UT. It's just funny/annoying when I hear people call UH 'Coogie High' when I CHOSE :eek: UH over UT.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Cougar High will get crushed on Saturday night, and I will be at Texadelphia on Westheimer with my fellow Texas Exes drinking rivers of beer and laughing our asses off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.