1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cool Story Bro] My kid turned one.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mylilpony, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

A year ago, my first kid came into this world. He was diagnosed in the womb to have symptoms of hydrocephalus. After many doctors visits and counsel from anyone that had a mouth, we decided to keep the pregnancy.

When he was born, his head measured 50 cm (mine is 58cm). He was diagnosed as being both blind and deaf. He also had brain surgery his second day of life. The surgery involved placing a shunt (a pressurized valve) into his head to allow him to relieve pressure in his brain.

After a year of meeting with professionals and therapists and getting tests often, we finally arrive to where he is at now. He can now see (better than my wife and I), and he can hear. He is now able to hold his head up and speak. We are still working on other developmental goals, but he is healthy and abnormally happy.

I feel blessed for many reasons.

First and foremost, I have a wife that is so diligent and faithful to the care of our kid. She allows me to go to school while she attends to the daily chore of raising a special needs child.

Second, we have the support of family and friends. The love that surrounds him is a huge part of the cure.

Thirdly, we live in Houston. The medical center works miracles. The darkness that surrounded our small family after first hearing the news was lifted as the professionals we worked with were able to apply their talents to our family's needs. We should be proud that our city has assembled so many assets (pun intended).

Lastly, our faith. I have had so many direct answers to specific prayers. Its not like we asked for the burden to be taken away from our son, but instead we asked for the ability to provide the best life possible for our kid and that he could respond to the treatments for his condition. He has surpassed any expectations that we have initially held, and he is the source of so much of our joy.

To anyone that has similar circumstances,

You have help and support from more people than you know. Keep up the good fight and love life.

P.S. We're trying to bring into this world one rockets fan at a time.

18 people like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

truly an inspiring story, glad to hear everything is working out and good luck with your son.

2 people like this.
  3. jamma34

jamma34 Member

congrats to you and your wife. i have 3 young kids and can't imagine having to go through that. not that you need to be told this, but you guys are doing an amazing job

1 person likes this.
  4. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

That truly is a cool story, bro. Congrats!!! And happy birthday to a future rockets fan!!

1 person likes this.
  5. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

awesome story, truly helps puts a perspective on things too. Happy birthday to your son!

1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Amazing and awesome. I'm so glad for you and your family.

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The coolest of cool stories, bro. That's wonderful news!

1 person likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Awesome. Congrats and continued happiness!

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome :).

1 person likes this.
  10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Congrats and I'm happy for you and the family.

1 person likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This underscores one of Houston's biggest perks- the medicine field. It's vast. After growing up there, I feel like I'm getting short-changed in DFW.

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

thanks for all the comments. My wife is starting to like CF now.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Congrats man. My son was born 11 weeks early and had some health issues. We spent 8 weeks in the NICU. Now he's 3 years old and 99 percentile in height. I'm borderline midget so I'm so happy he's healthy and tall.

1 person likes this.
  14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Nice to hear your kid is doing better! and you and your wife great parents.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Wow. That is a cool story. Inspiring.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Very cool story, really happy for your family.

17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

My son also had a shunt placed at 4 months old. He's 16 now and never had to have it adjusted or replaced.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That is truly fantastic. I'm so happy for you, your wife, and your little boy. All the best going forward!!! :)

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Cool Story Dad

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Truly inspirational story. These are the types of things that make me proud to be a part of this community.

Thank you for sharing. Best wishes to your son and the whole family moving forward.