1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Applications/Acceptances

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hustle Town, Dec 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

You have a long way to go before you can rustle my jimmies son.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

You can do drugs and *** and still do well in life. Just don't be a dumbass :grin:

3. SK34

SK34 Member

True. But I don't do drugs, or smoke, or drink. I'm not bout that life.

1 person likes this.
  4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

That's cool.

Just never go around thinking you're better than others because of your life choice. I've noticed that too much in people. That dude smokin a J is probably just as awesome as you are. Yes awesome in the way you're thinking

5. SK34

SK34 Member

Strict Muslim life.

I don't even trip I can't party and such. It's the other things they put restrictions and rules on that make me mad. They go too extreme compared to other paki parents

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Never man. I don't think any less of others. I would probably smoke but I don't cause I wanna play ball for college so I don't want things to effect my training.

7. Northside Storm

Applying to some law schools.

If anyone needs help with that, (especially with Canadian law school applications), holla at me.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Applied to 10 schools in the Eastern seaboard, including an EA for BC (was rejected).

I have to wait until March now to find out where (or if) I'm going.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm paying back every cent of my U of H degree and I don't know what you're bragging about here.

10. SK34

SK34 Member

but but UH is finally becoming a good school for education. every year, they are taking less applicants than the year before. also they are tier one now. also they are building the school so they can get more spirit and stuff like that.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Aside from the Intercontinental Tier One Championship, those things are somewhat true; if only because with insane growth in college enrollment and the inherent rip-off of some less-endowed and less prestigious private colleges, our size and location are finally paying off. We're basically the Mickey D's next to the corporate park; barren and depressing on a Friday night, but cheap, convenient and familiar a quarter-to-noon on a workday.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

I'm thinking about applying for a PhD, but the program I'm interested in requires I take the GRE again. It has only been 27 years since I last took it... seems like that ought to count. Anyway, I am deathly afraid of how much math I have forgotten over the years. Will pick up a GRE study guide tomorrow and see how bad a train wreck I'll be setting myself up for. They assure me my professional accomplishments will count for something, but I really don't want to take that test again... but I do want in the program. Ugh.

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

In a way I understand why people try to go to highly reputable schools but on the other hand I really don't. You can still learn and even have a better chance to stand out to your professors at a lot cheaper price at somewhere smaller and more obscure.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Very cool. In what field would the PhD be?

15. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Potential employers put a lot of stock into the college you get your degree from

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

It's this program:

http://femp.okstate.edu/

Right now, the thesis I want to write involves organizational theory and the response of emergency management organizations to internal stresses (focusing on death or major injury to responders) during an incident... but that may change.

This is the only Emergency Management PhD program that has a substantial distance learning component. I can retire at the end of 2017, so if this works out, I would take about three distance courses each year from Fall 2013 through Fall 2017 plus a two week course on campus during each summer and then camp out in Stillwater for a semester or two after retirement to finish off. I'd like to teach at a university part-time and do a little consulting after retirement and though I could probably do some consulting right now, having a PhD and current academic contacts will make it easier. But like I said, I'm not thrilled about taking the GRE, so we'll see.

17. Treeza

Treeza Member

Does anyone know anything about UTD? How's the school?

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Good internships, great networking and well paying jobs in competitive and/or prestigious career fields that don't require specialized skills or degrees upfront.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Applied to the University of Texas at Austin. Got in instantly because I'm in the top 8% of my class. :grin:

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought it was pretty easy getting a scholarship at UH. Don't they just hand em out like hot cakes? Hell even I got one.