1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Coldplay]Two More Days!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I haven't been this excited with a new album release in awhile (well maybe since "Guero" by Beck). I am talking about, of course, Coldplay's 3rd studio album, "X & Y". I could have probably found a place that had the album already (leaked) but I wanted to wait until I have the official release in my hands. Also, I want to spin this disc without having heard any of the songs on it - I know that "Speed of Sound" is the first single but I have not heard it yet. I don't want to go in listening to this, expecting that track to be one of the best songs. Many times the songs that get played on radio turn out to be some of the weakest stuff on the album.

Anyway, I pre-ordered my copy off Amazon (which was probably dumb but I am so used to buying from them that it was by habit) and hopefully it will be here by Friday, preferably sooner. Right now, I am listening to "Parachutes" in honor of the new album coming out this Tuesday. To me, this is still one of the greatest debut albums ever. "A Rush of Blood to the Head" was very good, but I find myself spinning "Parachutes" more often. Tracks 2-5 on "Parachutes" are 4 of the finest sequential tracks I have heard on an album ("Spies" is probably my all-time favorite Coldplay song). For some reason, when I listen to "Parachutes", I hear pre-Kid A Radiohead, the Stone Roses, Blur, and early Oasis all wrapped into one - all of that with an indie-rock feel to it.

Which that reminds me - Oasis's new album came out last week - anybody pick it up? Is it worth buying?

Also, the White Stripes new album comes out this Tuesday as well.

2. Rocketfan111

Rocketfan111 Member

The Parachutes has to be one of the best debut albums ever. I have listened to X Y only because I couldn't wait. In my opinion it is a really good album, very solid. I hope the fans like it as much as I did. Btw, have you listened to the Doves album that came out earlier this year?

3. Manny Ramirez

Nah, is it pretty good? The only Doves album I have is "Lost Souls" and I never could get into it. I need to give it some more spins.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Manny-

You should check out a band called Kasabian if you havent already.... Very cool stuff.

And yes, Im going to wear the **** out of this Coldplay disc..... Im guessing it will be nothing short of phenomenal.

5. rudager

rudager Member

Parachutes was very listenable, and often pretty. The last one was horrible, generic, and toothless. I have no desire to listen to anything further until I'm told these guys learned to write a bridge.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Coldplay sucks. Listen to Gorillaz.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We will go to the Coldplay concert in Munich in July...looking forward to that. I like "Speed of Sound"...not sure if their music is too mellow to be enjoyed live, though.

8. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Yes. If you liked "Definately Maybe" and "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?", you'll love this one. They're back and if they keep this up they might be almost as good of a band as they think they are.

9. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

If anyone wants to listen to it..

X & Y

10. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

Check out MTV tonight. They will be playing songs from their new album.

Coldplay Live Leak - @7:00 pm

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm extremely dissapointed in the new coldplay. some parts are just too slow.

a rush of blood... is easily my favorite album released this decade and i've been waiting for this new album for a while now but i feel let down.
    these songs are barely b-sides from the last album. i bought a rush of blood after hearing in my place and was blown away instantly. ive listened to this album four times through now and i still can't get into it.

i guess i'm the odd one cause i'm not really a big fan of parachutes. i think rush of blood is significantly better but i'd rate the new one well below both.

manny, the new oasis is great. it's no definitely maybe or morning glory but it's a monster step above their last two albums.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the album sux, save yourself the expense and pick up some soft rock for the oldies station. It will suffice.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's not as good as Parachutes but it's on par, if not better, than A Rush Of Blood To The Head. This is one of the few albums that I've listened to from start to finish.

Coldplay sucks. Listen to Gorillaz.

I like Gorillaz but their new album pales in comparison to their debut. It was a big disappointment

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Dude you can download it already. But why run the risk on such a ****e band.

15. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I have not picked up the new Oasis yet, but they had it streaming at VH1.com last week. I liked what I heard, of course they are my favorite band so I think I'll pick up the Dual Disc version. I particularly liked the last track on the album, "Let There Be Love".

16. Manny Ramirez

I have never been into downloading. The only album I ever downloaded was Fiona Apple's 3rd album and I only did that cause that album doesn't look like it is going to be released to the public any time soon (oh and I also downloaded the Smashing Pumpkins' final album, "Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music"). I got plenty of albums I don't listen to too much, so to me the risk is minimal.

Besides I don't find Coldplay to be that bad of a band. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I take them for what they are and I think that's why I like them: Brit band that has mellodic (sp?) songs about love and what not. I don't think they ever made themselves out to be the best band in the world or put themselves up there with the Stones or even the Clash. I think people try to bring Coldplay up just to smash them back down.

X&Y is worth the purchase. Trust me.

18. Rocketfan111

Rocketfan111 Member

Well, I knew that some Coldplay fans would be dissapointed with this album only because it is different. I dont think you can compare it to their previous albums because they are growing. This album is very different from their previous album. I will be honest, I was disspointed at first, but like my friend said, it is a "Grower" album. After your first and second listen this album "grows" into you.
    However, I will not defend the structure of this album, for some reason it just doesnt flow, the sequence of songs are out of order. Songs 5-8 are very smooth. Also for the first time, there are skip over tracks (2 of them). Usually you could listen to a Coldplay album from beginning to end without any skips.
    Lastly, I think that a lot of people do not like this album because we expect so much from them. If any other band would have came out with "X Y" as their debut album, they would be commended. However, since Coldplay had two great albums, we expect another great one. This one is very good and solid.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Way to stick with it...

20. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Damn... I really liked Coldplays last album and in turn picked up Parachutes also, but I've hardly play that one anymore, I didnt like Parachutes AT ALL... I'm watching the MTV thing right now and so far 3 songs in this album ROCKS!! that first song they played will be a big hit for them and I really liked the space like sound to it...and that second song was really good too...The third song WAS THE BEST so far... damn I've bought a new release CD every week for the last month and each time they have been flops I dont think this one is gonna be like the rest for me this week...

#20 Davidoff, Jun 5, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2005