1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach K returning to USA Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/21/coaches.usa.ap/index.html

YES! 2012 chip here we come...

I see the starters as the following

Paul
    Bryant
    Melo
    James
    Howard

James did say he wouldn't play in 2012 if Kidd didn't return... I think he was serious about it... at least thats how the article was written.. so maybe it'll be the same team as 2008 without Michael Redd and Tayshaun Prince because of age... they'll add a couple of players back... I'd think they'll be veterans like Stoudemire and Joe Johnson... and yes I think Boozer will also be back, Coach K will want Boozer...

2. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Tough to leave D. Wade out of the mix. I'd start Wade instead of Anthony.

He did lead the team in scoring in Beijing, including 27 points and 4 steals in the gold medal game against Spain.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Good for Coach K and Duke basketball in general, but severely hinders our scouting/recruiting process.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Well... I ain't leaving him out.. he was the 6th man... I'd think they keep the same formula they won with in 2008... Wade off the bench and Anthony starting to get some spark off the bench.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I think Kobe is too old for that...

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt Wade plays again, but if he did, the 6th man might work best. He was their best player last year as 6th man.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Why would you doubt he plays again? He said he would be back when they interviewed him after he got his medal late last year.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

USA basketball is not about the coach, it's not about the x's and o's, it's not about strategy. It's all about the players, how hard they play and how their skillsets fit. The coach is really a glorified babysitter, but then again there are very few people qualified to be the official team usa babysitter, so maybe it is about the coach.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

Durant will play for the team in 2012.. and might be the best one by then.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Best what?

LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Paul, Howard... just to name a few will be around also.. and everyone of those besides Kobe will be in their prime. I don't think Kobe will fall off too much either though.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Major props to him if he does. For an NBA superstar of Wade's caliber to put his body on the line and play in 3 Olympics would be something else. But he would be 30 years old and the mileage might be piling up by then.

What a player says in the heat of the moment right after getting their gold medal doesn't mean much.

LongTimeFan, glad you brought KD up. He seems like the kind of guy who will absolutely feast in the Olympics. If defenses didn't specifically gear up to stop him, he would be lights out.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i promise you durant will certainly be better then kobe within 2 years. promise

13. HTR99

HTR99 Member

I think Roy and possibly, LMA will make the team then too.

Paul/Kobe/Melo/James/Howard
    Deron/Roy/Durant/LMA/Bosh

1 person likes this.
  14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Hopefully Rose and Durant get the nod. I expect to see Al Jefferson there, but a 34-35 year old Kobe in the olympics? I dont know about that.

15. saleem

saleem Member

Aldridge's face up shooting will help a lot in the international game.

16. hangwak

hangwak Member

not better than Kobe in his prime

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

probably not. but your talking about a top 20 player ever. the sky is the limit for durant though. he would be a senior in college next season. i think after next season he will lead the league in scoring for a few years i just hope he gets to play on a decent team for a few years.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

You left out John Wall

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

well, yeah of course he'd be the top senior in college if he had stayed. But you're presuming that only Durant stayed until his Senior year but Oden, Conley, Rose, Beasley, Mayo all left College early so Durant is going to dominate as the only allstar nba calibre Senior...as if thats ever going to happen as with ur scenario........

KEVIN DURANT IS THE AWESOMEST PLAYER IN THE NBA RIGHT NOW!!!

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

all i meant by that statement was that he is very young still. everyone one else in the top 10 or 15 in scoring last year was about 5 to 10 years older then him. lebron james and and danny granger being the closest and they are still about 3 to 4 years older then him. so i meant that he would be a senior in college next season instead of coming off his second year in the nba at number 6 in scoring and improving his fg% by a lot. this is why i said that by 2012 he will in fact be better then kobe bryant at that point. got it? ok good thanks.