1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

CNN-Si article on Chance's "Yao Song"!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mr_oily, Jan 2, 2003.

1. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

*wrong forum? just in case sorry admins...
    and WAY TO GO CHANCE!!!! WE're PROUD of you!!!:D

Songwriters enjoy success of Yao song
    HOUSTON (AP) -- Chance McClain and Kevin Ryan accomplished three things with their Yao Ming song: It's simple, has a peppy beat and it's easy to dunk to.

Houston Rockets fans, whether they like it or not, have been singing the incredibly uncomplicated yet infectious chorus to themselves for weeks: "Yao Ming, Yao Ming-Yao Ming-Yao Ming, Yao Ming, Yao Ming," to the tune of the soccer-fan anthem "Ole, Ole, Ole."

The song, crafted before the 2.29-meter (7-foot-6) Yao had even signed this autumn, is getting into people's heads, especially now that Yao has blossomed into an NBA star just two months after the Chinese center's arrival in this country.

"Subconsciously I found myself singing it at home," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "I find myself wailing through the house, `Yao Ming, Yao Ming-Yao Ming-Yao Ming."'

Lyricist McClain and musician Ryan, who grew up together in the Houston area and reunited as friends in 1999 after losing touch for most of the decade, soon resumed their song-making hobby with a tongue-and-cheek homage to former Rockets reserve forward Matt Bullard called "Air Bull."

"We knocked it out in one night," said McClain, an affable real estate appraiser. "One of the Rockets guys heard it on (a KILT-AM sports talk show) and asked if we could use it. Bullard would hit a 3-pointer and they'd play `Air Bull' and people would sing along. It was hilarious, because he's such an obscure player."

McClain and Ryan, a graphic artist, began churning out more tunes, usually lighthearted looks at the Houston sports scene, with subject matter ranging from Rockets guard Moochie Norris' ever-changing hairstyles to flamboyant former Houston Astros pitcher Jose Lima.

McClain tried to get the Houston Texans to bite on their version of a fight song, but the team chooses to promote one performed by country star and Houston-area native Clay Walker.

The Yao Ming song, titled "It's a Ming Thing," has turned out to be their big hit.

"When I wrote the Yao Ming song, I was driving on (Interstate Loop) 610 and found out Stevie drew the ball," McClain said, referring to Rockets guard Steve Francis drawing the lottery ball for the No. 1 pick in the 2002 draft, which guaranteed the team could draft Yao.

"It was the first time I didn't have a six-pack and jot something down," said McClain, 30, whose duo is called Pull Tab. "I actually wrote it out."

The songs have led to several local commercial jingles and a record deal, with the first CD due out Jan. 7. It's called "Greatest Hit," a nod to the Yao Ming song that's getting airplay from Houston to Shanghai and points in between.

"We're kind of poking fun at ourselves with our title. We know most people will be buying the album for that song," said Ryan, the more reserved of the duo. "We have no idea all the places it's being played. It's just kind of gotten passed around the world."

The song was available for free on the Internet but now that there's commercial demand, only a snippet can be downloaded legally. Yao says he likes the song, though he blushed when told it's playing in his home country of China now.

"The Rockets games air in China when it's morning there," McClain said. "They call it 'Breakfast with Yao,' and our song is played before each game."

The duo produces new songs ceaselessly, including themes for radio shows of Texans stars Aaron Glenn and Steve McKinney and even an ode to new Astros second baseman Jeff Kent and his macho mustache.

McClain and Ryan, who sing and play instruments mixed with some synthesizer, say they have no grand expectations for their suddenly percolating musical careers, saying they understand the quick success could fade.

"We know we're the 'Macarena,'" McClain admits.

He also recognizes that many professional musicians struggle mightily before getting a nibble, yet he and Ryan quickly got an independent record deal and have a song that won immediate radio airplay and nightly exposure at Compaq Center whenever Yao makes a play.

"In eighth grade, I wrote out three goals in life: to be in a hit movie, have a hit song and a perfect wife, family and the picket fence thing," McClain said. "Well, I was an extra in 'Pearl Harbor,' I've got this song, and I've got the perfect family.

"I would have set loftier goals if I knew I was going to hit them by age 30."

It's a Ming Thing
    To the tune of the soccer-fan anthem "Ole, Ole, Ole:"

CHORUS:

Yao Ming, Yao Ming-Yao Ming-Yao Ming, Yao Ming, Yao Ming

Without the Dream no one thought we'd survive,
    For too long we've been deprived.
    The final piece of the puzzle has arrived,
    The missing link of a championship drive.

CHORUS

Yao Ming bust on the scene with a bling-bling,
    Dominating other teams, it's a Ming Thing.
    Envisioning Houston's dream of a ring-ring,
    Reinvigorating Clutch City, Yao Ming -- Scream!

CHORUS

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

AWESOME,

Way to go Chance.....

DaDakota

3. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Actually, its not just cnnsi, but its all sites that use the ap (associated press) that has the same article.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great stuff! congratulations!

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Way to go Chance!

6. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Yeah and this very same thread is in the 2003 forum!
    Damn, search options off!!!!:mad:

sorry BBS!
    at least the message got out to a few more people...

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I reformatted my hard drive a while back.. I guess I do HAVE to buy the CD now hehe so I can get that song back...

playing yao ming songs at a university not in texas.. really bugs people.. but hey just a reason to turn it up louder so the whole dorm can hear

8. SLA

SLA Member

Wait....that guy is a member of this forum?

9. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Is fat meat greasy?

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I found the article "Follow the bouncing ball and sing with Ming" in the Brownsville Herald with a picture of Chance and Kevin Ryan.

That's cool!!! I noticed that Chance is wearing a Texans shirt as well!!!

Way to go Chance!

11. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I think this is the picture you're talking about. I just saw it today, myself.

[​IMG]

12. Nomar

Nomar Member

Cool, Chance.

13. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I posted this in the other thread and have had some good response (three people) but need many more.

This AP story was seemingly picked up by like EVERY paper in the country and I need help from my fellow posters. You guys come from all over the country and afar. I need copies of the article from different papers. Can you guys from outside of Houston scan and email the article with the name of the paper and the date visible? I am supposed to have this ‘press kit’ thing and my label thinks these things will help show the range of the song. He is trying to get us on something nationally for the CD release and I need all I can get.

You can email it to: pulltab@ev1.net or use the link in my profile. Thanks guys and I truly appreciate it.

Chance

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'll get to it from the southernmost tip of Texas. I hope nobody throws away the article before I get home.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Nice goals for life and all, but I bet you never thought your music would be reaching a BILLION people! That rocks.

16. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Chance,

Go to http://www.google.com. Then go to the "news" section. From there type in "Rockets song" or something similar. You will be amazed at the number of hits that come up and from what newspapers.

17. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

PS...from what I can tell most of them are just reprinting the original article from the Associated Press.

18. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

And he did it all WITHOUT a six pack!
    I'm amazed! Way to go chance!:D