1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

CNN: FCC fears force Fox to pixelate cartoon nudity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 18, 2005.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

FCC fears force Fox to pixelate cartoon nudity
    Monday, January 17, 2005 Posted: 9:12 PM EST (0212 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Fox says it covered up the naked rear end of a cartoon character recently because of nervousness over what the Federal Communications Commission will find objectionable.

The latest example of TV network self-censorship because of FCC concerns came a few weeks ago during a rerun of a "Family Guy" cartoon. Fox electronically blurred a character's posterior, even though the image was seen five years ago when the episode originally aired.

"We have to be checking and second-guessing ourselves now," Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said Monday. "We have to protect our affiliates."

Fox hadn't gotten any complaints about the cartoon. But the move follows the FCC's decision in October to fine 169 Fox stations $7,000 each for airing an episode of "Married By America" that showed people licking whipped cream from strippers' bodies and a man in his underwear being spanked by strippers.

"It's certainly confusing when you have to do something like that," Berman said. "It's just that we were trying to find our way and do what's responsible."

At PBS, executives said this weekend they will edit out a glimpse of a naked woman in a fictional account of a terrorist "dirty bomb" attack that will air next month after being shown first on HBO.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/17/obscured.cartoon.ap/index.html

Ok what was OK five years ago is now, not?

2. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Thank Michael Powell, his band of right wing morality goons, and the impotent media industry for this.

Ughhh, somehow it's okay to show people dying by the dozen in 24, but God forbid that someone sees a CARTOON CHARACTER'S naked butt.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hey, let's not get all political on this. It is in the Hang out.

I think it's just plain stupid to be so harsh (FCC). I mean, having to blur a cartoon man's ass? Give me a break. They did the same in Saudi, but they just out the scenes and even the scenes with cartoon characters kissing. I have lived through this before, don't make it happen again. In the good ol USA.

4. Rocket G

Hey, just pointing out that the people (in government & in the one "citizen group" causing 99% of all FCC complaints) behind insanity like this come from one segment of the political spectrum...

That's not exactly debatable.

We all "tsk, tsk" when we hear stories about the morality police in places like Iran & Singapore, yet now we are even blotting out cartoon butts drawn for comic effect here at home. It's not as if this was some cartoon p*rn Family Man...

Thank God for cable & satellite radio...

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

right wing campaign or right breast repercussion.

6. Rocket G

7. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

this is funny since Sunday's Simpsons episode featured Moe's bare ass.

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[sarcasm]

don't you know the human body is a horrible thing!!

[/sarcasm]

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Will somebody PLEASE think of the children?!

10. Rocket G

Maybe there was some left wing political message embedded in The Family Guy's ass.

That or maybe Moe's ass was somehow inoffensive to the Parents's Television Council.

Story

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

up until now, this whole censorship thing was annoying but not really problematic. but now FOX is censoring itself! FOX people! the place for all that has been rude and crude in america for almost 2 decades. the last bastion of everything bad and indecent. the network of COPS, and married with children, and when animals attack, and wildest police chases, and marrying people by vote. we can't have such a wonderful american tradition as offensive material on FOX be suppressed like this. a disgraceful day in our nation's history when a cartoon's butt must be blurred on FOX. i have seen enough to know that i have seen too much.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Does anyone here watch Crank Yankers? They regularly show puppet penises and vaginas. Are puppets exempt from censorship, or is it just because Comedy Central is a pay channel?

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i know they show it late at night, but considering they show south park: bigger, longer, and uncut completely uncensored fairly regulary they must be exempt from all this crap or just know how get around the rules really well. i assume they are exempt.

14. Rocket G

Pay cable is why its untouched.

Man... I guess no one minds watching people eat goat feces or dead rats (Fear Factor) but cartoon butts somehow will turn our kids into sexual deviants...

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I never understood that point also, what makes it OK for puppets to be naked??

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because it's on cable. I think if the channel is on cable, they're free to play whatever they want, but most of them censor curse words and skip over nudity because of advertisers.

There is also a very good chance that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

17. insane man

insane man Member

i dont have a huge problem with public airways being regulated by the public.

but the regulators should be held accountable as well. and public airways should be accessible to the public to a degree.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I wonder what Joe Buck is saying about all this disgusting animative exploitation.