1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Suns 3/12/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2007.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

durvasa,

with all due respect, this is the NBA man. Yao is making max salary. He's a 90% FT shooter. These guys are professionals. Why in the world would you not bring him out high to unclutter the lane when they are fronting him with the double and triple teams? He's a 90% FT shooter. We all know he can knock down the 17 footer. And he's 7' freaking 6". He can see over the top of everything and get the ball to the cutters. It's basic basketball man. We learned this stuff in high school. You take what the defense gives you and force them to adjust. We've got 2 all world talents on this team. You don't have to completely revamp an NBA offense to bring a big man out high for a few possessions and let cutters go back door. Once again, this is the NBA.

I'm not saying make Yao a high post center. I'm saying utilize his total skill set. I'm saying when the defense is taking away Yao, then get him out of the paint area and let him shoot some open 17 footers or dish to cutters or run some pick and pops like Juwan does. Get Amare away from the basket and have Amare have to dive at Yao in an attempt to throw off his rhythm. This gets Amare out of the paint and off the boards.

It's just basic basketball man. That was a junk defense out there against us tonight. That defense was begging for cutters to go to the rack and slam it down. They were playing the passing lanes on the perimeter. They were begging for the back door. And Snyder is asleep on the pines.

I don't care if Snyder is a knucklehead. So, is Bonzi. Hey, Amare's a knucklehead. But, they are NBA players man. They're in the league. They must be good at something. Otherwise, get 'em out of here. Snyder is the best athlete on this team. His whole game is predicated on getting to the hole and finishing. And we were jacking up ill advised 3 point shots. And we are worried about Snyder's boneheadedness while a 35% shooter is firing up jumpers on the run with 20 seconds left in the shot clock???? You wanna know who was boneheaded tonight? Rafer played the most boneheaded game of anybody tonight. Oh, but he can dribble and get us in our sets. Yeah right. When we are playing Memphis and Boston, Rafe can dribble and get us in our sets.

My goodness man. Tonight was totally ridiculous. You could see the defeat in McGrady in the 3rd quarter. He knew this bunch wasn't gonna bring it home. Out there dickering around with the ball. Luther just standing around with the ball, trying to figure out what to do next. So much hesitation, no ball movement, nobody penetrating, standing around watching Yao bounce around like a pinball in the paint against 3 defenders. We would have been better off just throwing the ball to Lil Chuckie and let him dribble drive it himself. He did that a couple times effectively. At least he knows where he's going out there and he moves the ball.

And if you are going to just leave Yao down there low bouncing around against 3 defenders, why play him? Bring in Deke and let him bang around down there.

3 of 14 man. This is going to happen against the upper echelon teams with quickness and good rotations. Mark it down. We will see this again in the playoffs.

Phoenix came out in a defense and we never adjusted to it the whole durn night. We kept playing the same stupid way. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

2. eaglewu

eaglewu Member

Before the game we all know this is a tough matchup. we admitted that if Yao and Tmac play very well tonigh we might have a chance to win. But it turns out they play badly. I am upset why people here blame Rafer. He is not at the same level as Nash or Barbosa not even close, I don't expect we can beat Suns at PG. Blaming a role player can't beat the MVP PG and it's backup is naughty and meanless.

As I remember two years ago. When we beat Suns, Yao play very very well. 20+p, 20+r and 5 blocks.

3. happyricky

happyricky Member

Great summary! Another bonehead coach of the game by JVG! I never hate him, but he really drives me crazy in the games like tonight. Already played Suns for 3 times this season, and you still can't figure out a way? Give me a greak. You are make 5M/year and you supposed to come up with something new and effective! :mad:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah man, what he said !!

:D

DD

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

imo, the key to beating the suns is to have guards with good perimeter defense and guards that can match nash and barb's 3p shooting.

the first issue being the most important and rafer and luther won't bring that.

6. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Totally agreed. At least that 8-man rotation has failed in all 3 games against the Suns, I hope JVG can introduce something new for the 4th game to prepare for playoff games against the Suns.

7. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

The Suns' starters only scored two points (56) more than our starters (56).

The Suns only had one more turnover than the Rockets.

The big reasons we lost:

1) They had a huge weapon in Barbosa coming off the bench and scoring 32
    2) The out-rebounded us 50 - 36 (this was a lack of hustle by the tired Rockets)
    3) They shot well from behind the arc (60% :eek: ) and we didn't (23% :( )

Why didn't Snyder play?

We really could have used his energy out there tonight.

8. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

EDIT: Suns starters scored 58

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed. It was a very frustrating game to watch. We can beat those guys.

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Is it possible that we were just setting up for the playoff? What I mean is our flaws were so obvious in the game and we seemed to be reluctant to change or adjust at all. (I didn't follow the game, just based on what mentioned by all great clutchfans here.) According to the analysis here in this game thread, apparently we were outplayed in certain forms and some believes that we could have a chance if we played in another form. If we really have a chance to take over Suns by playing in that particular form, we probably are saving it in the playoff games.

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

I agree with most of the stuff said. Snyder should of played. At least to wreck havoc in there. Oh well, we'll see if JVG makes adjustments against the Suns for the 4th game.

12. metalshred

metalshred Member

I knew the rockets werent gonna win, but still had my best wishes until i was confirmed by the final score. I don't know how the rockets can go far in the playoffs if they can't beat the suns no matter how many times they meet.

I remember Yao used to shoot 3 pointers. Why doesnt he shoot it anymore? To save energy in order to cause more pressure in the post? Well, when it doesn't work out in the post, why can't JVG let yao practise shooting 3s once again, and let him step out and shoot 3s? like dirk

13. pryuen

pryuen Member

Here are some of the reasons WHY:

• First, JVG won't allow it. He said it before. If Yao Ming is going to shoot 3, it has to be over his dead body, i.e. wait until the Rockets change the head coach.
    • Second, Yao Ming has the range....but it would not be at a percentage as close to his > 55/60 FG%.
    • Third, he does not need to shoot 3, as there are lots other Rockets that should be good shooting spot-up of the 3-pointer.....Luther Head, Shane Battier, Rafer Alston, Tracy McGrady.......but then who asked these players to mis-fire when Yao Ming was double- and triple-teamed from start to finish by the Phoenix Suns?? :rolleyes:

14. qrui

qrui Member

doesn't say enough if you only look at the starters' points. the matter of the fact is the rockets starters shot only 31.7% comparing to 45.5% from the suns. they took 63 shots, 8 more than their components (55). you add that with the rebounding and 3pts % no wonder the rockets got blown away. :(

this team won't win when their stars are double and triple teamed and they can't make wide open shots. i always think to be a good shooter it's not how many 3's you make, it's how many 3's you make under pressure, when you are behind, when other players on your team have a tough time scoring. last night, jhoward came through. the rest... :(

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

My question is this. How many times did Tmac drive to the basket? 3, maybe 4? If your jumpshot isn't falling (7-28) take it to the rim and put it down with authority a few times. Get fouled and go to the line or when Yao's triple team comes at you dish it above his head so he can slam it down or get fouled. I promise you Chuck or Juwan will set a screen at the top of the key for you to do that.

JVG is right, so Tracy goes, so the Rockets go.

Key stats in this game:

Rox 5-19 3pt range for 26% and Rebounds: Rox 28, Suns 40

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

sorry typing error

Rebounds: Rox 28, Suns 50

17. GALLIS

GALLIS Member

EXACTLY but hey we did beat the nets ,didn't we?
    Let's keep JVG so we can beat the nets next year too.
    what a moron 4 a coach.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Member

This game just wasn't meant to be. Move on to the next one.

19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

8-28fg plus 3 turnovers by tmac and 1-9fg plus 5 turnovers by yao

so a total of 9-37fg (almost half the teams shots) and 8 turnoves(out of a total of 9 team turnovers) by our 2 allstars, you can blame alston jvg and who ever else all you want but yao and tmac lost it for the rockets tonight. Those 2 stats tell it all, 9-37 aint even 25% absolutely shocking