1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 4/11/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 10, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It can work in stretches, but it is not something that will consistently work.....especially on D.

Lowry was working so hard on offense but he was standing in cement on defense, Hayward was getting by him with ease....

DD

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lowry was playing D on Hayward better than any other player we had today on the court.

3. Kam

Kam Member

I can't believe we got a these refs suck chant. I loved it.

I said, we really could use a These Refs suck chant, and it happened!

It feels good.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nope, he was just as bad as everyone else, Hayward killed everyone we had on him.

DD

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Nope.

The moment Lowry came in the floor, Hayward missed his next two shots.

Hayward only scored 3 points on Lowry (the 3 point play where Scola tried to take a charge).

The other 4 points came from the fast break dunk after Chase Budinger's horrible miss, as well as intentional fouls at the end of the game.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You must have missed him getting by Lowry for that little nifty pass to the baseline for a dunk....I think that happened at least 2 or 3 times.

Lowry was great tonight, but he was tired, and you could tell on defense.

DD

7. RV6

RV6 Member

Felt like a playoff elimination game, where Houston is up 3-0 and Utah has to win. You just knew Houston wasn't winning this one very early on...

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I remember that, but it was off a screen and roll. We lacked the interior help defense (as you pointed out before) to prevent it. A team scoring with a screen and roll is never one person's fault, but failure in team communication on defense.

His defense wasn't really as bad as you are making it out to be, Hayward was having the most trouble against Lowry, and he wasn't getting by Lowry ease. The problem was mainly interior defense, as well as Utah making shots they never ever make (Gordon Hayward is below 30% 3PT on the season, but made 4/5 tonight).

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let's just all agree that our defense collectively and individually tonight was just simply bad... Trying to pick who's better is like trying to figure out who is 2nd place; all losers at that point. I will be emptying the beer I got in my fridge tonight, work condition tomorrow be damned.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Utah has always tended to foul a lot even in the Sloan days. They play physical and dare the refs to make calls. Corbin being Sloan's heir, it is not surprising that they play the same way.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Detroit Bad Boys played the same way. Every time Jordan went up, 2-3 people would slam him back down to earth. Made Cousin's hit on Scola look like a love tap. We should to employ similar tactics as well. I would like to see us make Kobe, Wade, LBJ, or Rondo feel it deep in their bodies every time they make that journey to the rim. Hard fouls really take their toll on a player's body over time.

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

That stretch where the Rockets were up by 8, then slowly losing the lead and then down by 12, was just painful to watch. It was just brick after brick at the Rockets side and Jazz getting easy layups on their side.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Can't afford to lose big games like this and it concerns me how we will play if we make the playoffs. I am certain about one thing though, unless Dalembert was seriously ill last night, I do not want him back. Camby is the best thing that happened to us and is a big factor to our little run. Also Lowry is nowhere near the level he needs to be, should've eased him in and play Boykins like I predicted. Unfortunately, McHale doesn't listen and Lowry wants to play at all cost.

14. davidlee

davidlee Member

only watched second half, should we put Lowry a little bit early and still have him playing around the same amount of time?

15. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

not only were we missing easy shots, uncontested 3s, and lay ups, the coaching was also bad. double team everytime millsap got the ball lead to so many hayward points. and at the end of the 4th quarter is when we start running plays for ppat to shoot the J which he was nailing.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I think Lowry started the process of getting his spot back today.

Nothing against Dragic, Lowry is just a better leader IMO and he almost ALWAYS finds the right guy. While Dragic I think can be just as affective as a backup, I think Lowry plays much better as a starter.

It's really a win-win with these guys, I just hope which ever one doesn't start is okay with coming off the bench.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is silly. Dragic has been better than Lowry as a starter, and Lowry was better than Dragic as a bench player.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Lowry averages near triple-double numbers as a starter and plays more of a leader role.

Dragic plays hard and fast on every play which translates to the bench very well as he showed not only with the suns but also her for a year and a half.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The more we run it, the more he makes it, the more they contest it, the more he misses it. He needs to work on shooting contested jumpers.

You want him to take it if he's open, but his shot gives the defense time to recover and contest it. Any coach still knows that's a good shot, but he can't let it bother him.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The guys just need to forget about this game. What is done is done.

Come back to practice tomorrow, refocus their energies on the Suns, and take them out Friday. Be sharp, knowing that no matter what happens offensively on Friday, they can always play better defense and still win the game.