1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch City Can Reminisce Here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

What were some of your earliest Houston Rockets memories and favorite moments that made you first decide to become a Rockets fan?

After all, this is the reason we're all here today isn't it?
    So old school guys can help the new guys get to know them better and vice versa.

My dad was a former college point guard, so whenever he could afford it he would take
    me to see the Rockets play games in the Summit. This was during the old school short shorts days when "Sleepy" Floyd played.

My childhood was listening to Bill Worrell and Calvin Murphy talking while Hakeem Olajuwon would dominate games.

Bill was the perfectly smooth play by play straight man, and Calvin
    (One of my favorite color commentators) was funny and loud with suits to match.

I remember hating when Hakeem couldn't eat or drink during daylight hours in Ramadan because it decreased his game (not much though),
    and when we played in Denver he had to have an oxygen mask on the sidelines because the altitude made the air thin.

After the first Clutch City Believe it years during the 1993-94 championship I knew I was a fan for life.

2. k-money

k-money Member

when i met hakeem the day after i saw my first basketball game in 2008, against LA when they got the 22 win streak.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

We moved to Houston during the Phi Slamma Jamma days, when the whole city was buzzing to the UH groove. Dream got selected by the Rockets and I was a fan.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The Twin Towers at The Summit (before it became the Compaq Center, and then LakeWood Church)

watch at 7:15 for Hakeem's (then Akeem) right hook :grin: :

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgrqJnX7VwY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgrqJnX7VwY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

this vid is technically titled about the debut of that ringless turd Karl Malone, but it has both Bill Worrell and Gene Peterson calling the game, Jim Foley only did home games until 1987 when he became Gene's fulltime booth partner:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IRX2lO_b1ZQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IRX2lO_b1ZQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

V3. thanks for the videos. Holy crap, I had forgotten how good Sampson was when he was healthy. Smoother than smooth for a guy that tall.