1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers suddenly an attractive free agency option

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

November 28, 2011
    By Matt Money Smith

With the end of the NBA lockout appearing to be a mere formality at this point, there has been a lot of focus centered on a team that has won five championships in the last decade.

It's understandable considering they are, along with the Yankees and Red Wings, the most consistently successful franchise in any sport. The Lakers have been competitive in every single decade, the 90's being the least successful of their existence, yet even that included a trip to the postseason every year but one and an appearance in the NBA Finals.

After being swept out of the postseason back in May while trying to defend their crown, there should be considerable attention paid to how Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and the squad will bounce back with a new head coach and basically the exact same team that suffered a humiliating end to last year's campaign. It's certainly more interesting than a team that finished out the season losing 3 of 4 to post a 32-50 record extending a run of futility that's equally as impressive as the Lakers successes.

But in a brief moment, things can change in the world of basketball, it's simply the nature of the sport. The DNA of a game that is played by a team, but dominated by individuals, means you get one special player, and what was a wasteland becomes ripe with opportunity.

So what about that 32-50 Clippers team and how their prospects look in a shortened 66-game season? Donald Sterling's bunch has considerable flexibility in free agency being some $15 million or so under the salary cap. They currently own the rights to the most exciting player in all the NBA to build around, Blake Griffin, and in Chris Kaman, they also possess an expiring contract that will be mighty desirable to multiple teams looking to unload a long term deal that isn't a fit for them and simply start rebuilding with visions of Jared Sulinger and Harrison Barnes in the upcoming draft.

There was a point last season when I opined in this very spot that the Clippers indeed could sneak into the 8th and final playoff position in the Western Conference considering how well they had been playing, and that Griffin had officially "emerged" as a player to carry a squad on his broad shoulders to the next level.

After a miserable 5-21 start to the 20-2011 season, the Clippers ripped off 11 wins in their next 15 games, including wins over playoffs teams like Miami, the Lakers and Denver. While nine games under .500 (16-25) is nothing to get too excited about, Griffin was on a double-double streak and the Clippers looked like a team that appeared to be headed in the right direction . The Clippers were suddenly both intriguing and exciting, and for a moment they had the city talking about STAPLES Center being extremely busy come late April with two squads making a run at that Larry O'Brien Trophy.

But the Clippers could not keep up that pace, never quite getting into the playoff race and finished 18 games under .500.

But the team showed signs of improvement, and it was inevitable that I would fall for Griffin and the Clippers. Watching their games became a regular occurrence at my house for the first time in…well forever. That's how good he is, and that's how fortunate the Clippers were to land that No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NBA Lottery.

However, there is a yin/yang relationship with this team - always has been. As much as the basketball gods might have been smiling on the team that day back in '09, they played a cruel joke on the Clippers in 2011. Kyrie Irving going to the Cavaliers with the No. 1 overall selection, the pick that was traded to them earlier in the year by Los Angeles so they would take on the remaining years and dollars owed to Baron Davis, came back to bite the Clippers.

Instead of watching Irving land in Los Angeles on a team that desperately needs a play-making point guard to pair with Griffin, not putting a No. 1 protection on that pick was a serious oversight and a major blow to the gut.

That means heading into the season that is rumored to start Dec. 25, the Clippers have some holes to fill and the cash to make something happen when Dec. 9 rolls around.

Instead of chasing a player in the limited pool of non-traditional point guards which is led by Aaron Brooks and Rodney Stuckey, use that money to fill the gaping hole at small forward with this season's available cash. A front loaded deal to Thaddeus Young would likely deter the 76ers from matching an offer, and when you factor in his production with the minutes he's given, combined with the athleticism of the 6-8/220lb small forward, having him running on the wing alongside Griffin is downright scary for the opposition.

With a free agent like Young joining Griffin and Eric Gordon, an emerging DeAndre Jordan and veteran Mo Williams, you hope the team can make a run at the postseason this year with that starting five. But perhaps the Clippers can play it like the Miami Heat in 2010, and make a play next summer when Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Dwight Howard are available. Should the cap hold at $58 to $60 million, even with the 30% of cap starting salary for exceptional talents, the Clippers will still have enough money to start out two salaries at $17+ million.

You have the Los Angeles market to offer up, and a chance to join a player who clearly will be in the league Top 10 for the next decade in Griffin. And we know the new NBA player wants to be on a team that has a chance to not only win, but dominate by amassing more talent than any other team possibly could, they want to do it with their friends, and they want to do it in a city you would consider to be a great place to live.

The Clippers can offer up every single one of those criteria, making them an attractive free agency destination.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/11/28/...e-age/landing.html?blockID=614336&feedID=7972

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

why wouldn't it be. they are in LA and now they have BLAKE. I expect them to be GREAT in few years

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think here is where he went wrong with his thinnking. Sure, you need that one special player. But, well-run franchises like the Lakers somehow get them over and over again and win championships with them, and poorly-run organizations like the Clippers either lose them or squander their talents. That's what makes the Clippers a bad free agency choice even if they do get to play in LA with Blake Griffin and $15m in their pockets. In the end, it will be a lot of dashed hopes. The Clippers will not be able to sustain a winning program until Sterling and his management team are gone.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lost me at "Money Smith".

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"This time, it's DIFFERENT!"

edit: Awesome "similar thread" at the bottom:

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Clippers will never be an attractive free agency option as long as Donald Sterling owns the teams. A number of times in the past he has been in a position to configure a good team and EVERY time he has messed it up.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I expect Blake to be doing great in a few years... Once he gets the hell away from the Clipshow

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Time to break out creepy Donald Sterling racist stories.

Anyhow, I am not sure how serious these are. Sure, the Clips play in Los Angeles. On the other hand, they've never been competently run and Sterling has many personal stains (especially when it comes to racist behavior).

I am guessing some of these guys might be using the Clips as leverage in FA contract negotiations-- they do have cap room, I think and it's plausible for a guy to say that if you don't trade me to Team X, I'll sign with Clips to play with Blake Griffin.

#8 Carl Herrera, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Clippers are an attractive free agent destination because of location. If you have to make millions of dollars and play on a sorry team, the Clips are a great choice.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Clippers all the sudden became an attractive free agent option because of Blake Griffin. Stars want to play with other stars, and being in a large Market only helps.

These guys know that they will only be listed as an all time great if they win titles, and the only way to win multiple titles in this league is to team up with another superstar. So why not team up with the best up and coming superstar in the league and be in the 2nd largest basketball market in the nation?

11. jogo

jogo Member

This is 100% true. Sterling is a turd and he will never pay to field a good team. No big free agents are going to want to go there if their agents are smart.

Griffin is screwed as long as he remains a Clipper.

12. JuanValdez

I think it's sad that Griffin is a Clipper. He'll likely qualify for the supermax contract when his rookie deal runs out, meaning he'll have to sacrifice a significant amount of money to leave the Clippers. And the RFA rules weren't changed so far as I know. So, he'll probably stay and hope for the best.

The silver lining is that Sterling is quite old now, so it's likely he'll die during Griffin's career and maybe the next owner will manage them better. But, he's only going to have that explosiveness for a few seasons.

13. valorita

valorita Member

I could be wrong but...

Didn't the Clippers trade their pick last year to get rid of Baron Davis and his bloated contract? That pick happened to be the #1 for 2011.
    :eek:

Too bad because they could have gotten Kyrie Irving and amnestied Davis.
    smh

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Badly run teams remain badly run no matter what.

15. JuanValdez

If they waited and amnestied Davis instead, they'd end up paying his whole contract. I'm sure Sterling would rather lose the #1 pick than tens of millions of dollars.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope the Donald Sterling factor plays out in this. The guy's awful, and I'd hate to see him succeed (I admit it), adding a star to Blake Griffin. It would just make the WC that much more of a bear.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Clippers are always in the discussion because they always have money. When was the last time they actually made it happen? Signing Baron Davis to a contract only idiotic teams like GSW or they would give? Until I see a star player actually ink a contract with them, rather than just play around like Kobe did to make the Lakers kiss his ass, I'll keep my skepticism.

18. VBG

VBG Member

I can't take them seriously until they get a good coach

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Lost me at Clippers suddenly an attractive...

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

For the Football fans:

Manchester City - LA Clippers
    Manchester United - LA Lakers

?