1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers court Brevin Knight...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/clippers-knight-guard-1781415-strickland-season

Friday, July 20, 2007
    Clippers court Knight
    The team wants to sign the veteran point guard from the Charlotte Bobcats.
    By ART THOMPSON III
    The Orange County Register

The Clippers, their options to sign a veteran point guard dwindling, have set their sights on signing 10-year veteran Brevin Knight, who became an unrestricted free agent last month when he was waived by the Charlotte Bobcats.

Knight, an experienced floor general and a strong defender, would fill the Clippers’ need for an experienced backup to incumbent starter Sam Cassell. Bill Strickland, Knight’s agent, said Friday he has had several discussions with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy and that the Clippers made a preliminary contract offer.

"It’s going to be a continuing process. We’re trying to work around a (contract) number,’’ said Strickland, when asked if there was anything imminent on the horizon. "But I have to say that we’re very interested in the Clippers."

Several other teams have expressed interest in Knight. Strickland declined to name them, but one might be the Miami Heat, which is in desperate need of a point guard and, like the Clippers, was pursuing Steve Francis, who chose to sign Thursday with the Houston Rockets.

"The Clippers are at the top of Brevin’s list," Strickland said. "I’m very optimistic that something can be worked out, but I’ve been in this business long enough to know that nothing is final until a contract is signed."

Knight spent the past three seasons with the Bobcats and last season averaged 9.1 points, 6.6 assists and 1.49 steals in 45 games. He has played with seven teams during his career, including three during the 2003-04 season: Phoenix, Washington and Milwaukee. Knight was selected by Cleveland 16th overall in the 1997 draft, and he led the NBA in steals his rookie season.

With Shaun Livingston rehabilitating from a left-knee injury suffered last February, the Clippers’ lone point guard with any significant NBA experience is Cassell. Rookies Jared Jordan and Guillermo Diaz, along with second-year guard Will Conroy, will compete in training camp for the third point guard job.

The Clippers have their entire mid-level exception of $5.25 million to offer but it is unlikely they would give that entire amount to Knight, who made $4.2 million last season.

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

The Clippers better land Knight. This is getting ridiclous.....

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brevin_knight/

He is injury probe as heck just like sam cassell....

Despite their talents when healthy, i'm not confident about the idea of an old cassell and a injury prone knight manning the clippers controls....

3. stingray

stingray Member

The guy is an assist monster but gets hurt alot... Doesn't have a very good outside shot either.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like Knight. I dont like him on the Clippers though. Seems like a stretch. Man the Heat and Clipps couldnt get anything done at PG.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You would do much better getting Mike James or Rafer from the Rockets. If this guy is the main player you have to be a starter when Sam goes down to injury, forget it. You will lust after Rafer. Brevin Knight is a 2 1/2 string PG at best. Sam came close to hitting the wall last season and may not be effective any more. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before the season.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree. Except James wouldn't work because he can't be combined with players.

Alston + Sura + Snyder FOR Mobley + 2nd rounder or protected 1st

Alston + Sura + Head FOR Mobley + 08 1st rounder (via Minny or LAC's own)

Can't think of much else would make sense.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As much as people on this BBS are feeling especially nostalgic nowadays with the signing of Steve Francis, there is NO FREAKING WAY that Daryl Morey makes a trade that results in Cuttino Mobley donning a Rockets jersey.

Mobley is set to make $9M per season for the next several years. Why would a front office that has not taken on a "bad" contract in the past five years take on that horrendous deal??? And for a guy who'd be their third string SG.

I like Cat as much as the next guy, but not at that price. Better to just cut some players and stand pat.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cat took the money and ran to the Clips. They were silly to pay that much to a guy who is definitely NOT an impact player. I wanted him back on the Rox when he was a FA but I'm glad we didn't sign him.

9. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

why did they let Hart go? he's a pretty solid back up PG and I doubt Utah had to pay him much...

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Rafer for any draft pick we can get would make me smile. Use Sura's contract for something better. Unless we determine the Clippers won't make the playoffs and can get their first round pick w/o it being lotto protected.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Hey Clips, is your old pal Daryl Morey!

Hey, so I heard you were looking for a point guard, possibly brevin knight...yeah, yeah, he's a good pickup if he stays healthy...hey, but listen, before you sign that deal, maybe I can offer up one of our own guys for your consideration....no not steve, we plan to keep him for now.......no, no not mike james, we were thinking more along the lines of raf.... oh come on now, you didn't have to laugh, it was worth a shot...do I have any other serious offers? well, rafer was a serious offer, I'd be willing to settle for even a draft pick or....hello, anyone there?

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That's freakin hilarious. However, Be afraid.....Be very afraid! :eek:

Apparently there's alot of Rafer fans on the board. I just wish they were working in the Clippers front office because then we'd get a deal done for sure! They'd probably throw us a couple 1st rounders and Elton Brand. ;) Also, these Rafer fans seem to get upset when you create thread asking for an explanation why there's such a love affair here with Rafer Alston.

I have a theory that many of them were originally Malick Baldeine and Boki fans who through BBS evolution morphed into Rafer Alston fans. I'll be submitting my findings to the American Scientific Journal after i conclude my research and piss more people off by insisting we trade him for any draft pick available. Even if it's a 7th round pick for the Texans. :D

#12 redgoose, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007