1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Clinton Said to Want TV Talk Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, May 2, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This is the guy with the <b>supposed</b> deep reverance for presidential history? How much more can he cheapen the lore?

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So what. Cheapen politics? How would it be possible to do that any further? Guys like Jefferson, Washington and Adams, our founding fathers, had illegitimate children with their slaves. Did that cheapen the "lore" of the presidency?

I don't get conservative preoccupation with Clinton. I understand if you liked him and still want to hear about him but I've never understood following someone out of disgust.

The guy will probably make a great talk show host. I guess it just wrankles people that he was so incredibly well-liked despite also being incredibly despised at the same time. I don't like GW but you won't see me driving around with an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker or moaning to high heaven when he's getting high six figures to do speaking tours when he leaves office.

4. MadMax

first -- not sure Washington EVER had children with slaves. but i get your point

it's not cheapening politics that bothers me..it's cheapening the presidency. I don't think anyone has done that better than Clinton did. And keep in mind...I VOTED FOR THE GUY IN 1992!! I came to dislike him....I think what I dislike the most is what he represents in our culture...very little substance, all surface.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How is having a talk show cheapening the presidency more than having children with slaves?

6. giddyup

Took the words right out of my mouth. Ex-presidents are above, beyond, and removed from politics.... because it is so ugly.

<b>Jeff</b>: Who's preoccupied? We are just reacting to the news.

<b>RM95</b>: Who said it was okay to father children out of wedlock whether with slaves or baby-sitters? Clinton needs to do what he can do to elevate the perception of the highest office in this land that he once held. He did enough to demean it!

#6 giddyup, May 2, 2002
    Last edited: May 2, 2002
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I still don't understand how having a political talk show, or even an Oprah style talk show would demean the presidency.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think you can tarnish the image of the presidency or the White House. I really don't. Anybody entering that house senses the history, the power, and the glory of it. Anybody meeting a president feels the awe. That never changes. No matter the scandal that never changes. It's like the game of baseball. It just stands the test of time. There is nothing Clinton can do to change that.

9. MadMax

it goes something like this...the most powerful man on the face of the planet...the one the people of the United States of America trusted to lead them...the one who inherits the legacy of men like Lincoln and Washington...yeah, that guy is hosting a tv show today on fighting wrinkles at 3:00 on CBS.

this from the article posted above:

"The price he could pay is so much higher than the potential payoff," said Robert Thompson, a professor of media and pop culture at Syracuse University. "Clinton is obsessed with his legacy, and a talk show is not the best way to erase Monica Lewinsky and the impeachment and reposition himself in high school history books for his positive achievements. How does he maintain his dignity if he cashes in on his 'Animal House' presidency?"

There was also speculation in TV circles this week that Clinton was meeting with CBS. But Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Television, said his company has had no meeting with the former president and called the idea of a Clinton talk show ridiculous. "Why would he do it?" asked Moonves, who had close ties to the Clinton White House.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Come on MadMax...do you really think that'd be a topic on his show...be realistic.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Exactly! I just don't get this whole "he demeaned the office" stuff. I mean, there were presidents who had sex with starlets, fathered illegitimate children, had lesbian wives, planned illegal activities in the Oval Office and on and on. Unless you just aren't up on your history, I cannot imagine how sex with an intern or having a talk show could seem any more demeaning to the office than anything any other president did.

Besides, demeaning to who? The rest of the world obviously didn't care. Most of it thought the whole scandal was a joke. The vast majority of our own country thought the scandal and impeachment proceedings were a waste of time and tax money according to polls.

So, how did it go from most of the world considering it a waste of time to demeaning the office of the presidency?

I'm just surprised this type of thing isn't reported out there every day with pretty much everyone. These guys are in positions of power. There are more women to have sex with and under-the-table dealings to do on a daily basis than most of us will see in 10 lifetimes. One political guy I know described it as equivalent to rock stardom complete with groupies, possies and people doing "dirty" work.

What surprises me is how shocked we are when some of that surfaces. I can't believe we are so naive and provincial that we think this type of thing isn't commonplace with the presidency or any position of power in America including big business, entertainment, sports, etc. It happens all the time every day. We just don't see or hear about it.

Suggesting that a former president having a talk show would somehow demean the office is like complaining about the how unseemly it is to not dust the coffee table in front of you when you are sitting in the middle of an abandoned tenament building.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Madmax, giddyupp, it's not cheapening politics that bothers me..it's cheapening the presidency.

From this I then have to assume that like me you were extremely against the Clinton Impeachment and the multimillion dollar campaign to investigate who he gave blow jobs to.

lol The whole conservative movement never gave the "cheapening of the presidency" a second thought as they cheered on the blow job investigation and impeachment.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No no no! Don't listen to Thompson - he is an agent of the devil! Lol...my wife hates him. He shows up everywhere on all sorts of shows on all sorts of topics. the first time we saw him my wife got angry and started saying things about him. I was confused. Then I realized the Syracuse connection. She studied under him.

14. x34

x34 Member

This is too funny!

This guy simply can't stand being out of the spotlight. Seems like he'll do just about anything to get some face time. You kind of have to feel sorry for him, he always thrived on attention...

A while back, a friend and I were joking about what he'd do next; maybe, "The Bill Clinton Show"? Funny how prophetic that joke turned out to be.

I'm not too worried about him damaging the image of the presidency, anymore. Although he did enough of that while he was in office, he's no longer president. He's just exposing himself for what he really is. If he gets a talk show, I couldn't care less. It's not like I will be wasting any of my time watching it.

I don't see how reacting to his antics is considered preoccupation. If anyone is preoccupied with anybody, it's the left and the media with Clinton. Does a day go by that we aren't bomarded with the latest Clinton story? Let it go, guys, he's no longer in office...

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I saw bumper stickers before he was ever inaugurated that said "Impeach Clinton...and Her Husband Too".

The right has been obssessed for a long time.

16. Band Geek Mobster

I personally thought the presidential debates involving Gore and Bush cheapened the presidency...

17. MadMax

did you read the article??? it said he would stay away entirely from political material...that he would focus on more Oprah like topics.

Sam Donaldson was hammering Clinton on his radio show this afternoon for being unable to stay away from the camera and unable to act with dignity. pretty interesting to hear Sam say that!

Jeff -- the fact he had sex with a college kid whose parents sent her to DC to intern for the President of the United States is one thing...the fact that he lied about it under oath is another...the fact that he so vehemently wagged his finger at us for questioning him is another...the fact that we try to establish and maintain the rule of law over the the rule of man in this country is another...the fact he was impeached is another...the fact he was disbarred in Arkansas for lying under oath is another. If you can't be an attorney in Hope, Arkansas, but you're the ex-President of the United States, you've cast a bit of shame on the office, in my view. Please don't try to narrow it down to, "hey everybody has sex!" it's much more than that.

glynch -- see above...so when police and courts enforce the law, they're not concerned with the dignity of the laws they protect and the institutions they serve?? should we not prosecute any crimes of political officials in an effort to maintain the integrity of that office...funny, i would argue that's exactly why you would prosecute those crimes.

#17 MadMax, May 2, 2002
    Last edited: May 2, 2002
  18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I read it...I guarantee you he will have no beauty secrets shows.

Are you going to DMB this weekend, BTW?

19. Major

Major Member

This guy simply can't stand being out of the spotlight. Seems like he'll do just about anything to get some face time. You kind of have to feel sorry for him, he always thrived on attention...

Why would you feel sorry for him? He's doing what he wants and enjoying it. Who really cares?

I don't see how reacting to his antics is considered preoccupation.

Well, you certainly seem to care what Clinton does with his own life on his own time. Why?

20. giddyup

Tell us again exactly what the impeachment charges were for? Blowjobs... I think not. And besides, Clinton didn't give them, did he?!!!!!!!