1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela Putting in Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tadow

Tadow Member

Kid's got good athleticism and has shown willingness to work and buy into playing his role from day 1. That's worth giving him a shot.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Capela is smart, athletic, and very young, he is going to be a very nice center for years in the NBA.

It is time we held on to our young players and let them develop.

And let's be honest - he is not going to complain about his touches....he is a keeper.

DD

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

True but he is who he is. If the right deal comes around...... he is the first guy teams will ask for.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm buying in on Capela. I think he is the embodiment of the modern day center - he is athletic, fast, and strong. He can run the floor and set picks. He is still raw, but I don't think the modern day center needs to be a polished scorer. As long as he can run the floor and throw down dunks in transition, he'll have a place in D'Antoni's offense. Way less maintenance than Dwight, too.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sure. He's one of our few valuable assets. I have no issue with the idea of trading Capela if it's the right deal. I do have an issue with saying "Oh...Capela will not be great, therefore we must trade him". That's silly.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What is the RIGHT deal? I mean for a star - sure, but not for another cast off, let's grow.

DD

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I like Capela, what I like most is that Dream is high on Capela and likes his work ethic as well. A high work ethic can get you far in life!!

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What are these fundamental flaws some people keep mentioning here? Care to elaborate? Capela is young, raw, and could put no some more muscle, but I don't understand why some are saying he is fundamentally destined to fail as a starting center in the NBA. I don't see it.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Can't understate enough the value a player who knows his role has on a team.

10. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

This. He's raw now but with The Dream and Nene he can learn a lot if he is patient.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nailed it.

Capela is exactly the type of player we would be seeking if we didn't have him. Young, regular fixable issues/weaknesses, good potential, nice career experience so far. Someone who can grow while Harden is here, works hard off the court.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets center Clint Capela not playing in Las Vegas to go through two-a-day summer school <a href="https://t.co/yHT4nsfQzo">https://t.co/yHT4nsfQzo</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/752890753399922688">July 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I feel that Capela CAN develop into a good offensive player. I think he is capable of doing much more than what we've seen from him up to this point. Unfortunately, it's difficult for him to really take his offensive game to the next level while playing important minutes for the Rockets. He needs to be able to experiment and grow without the fear of causing the Rockets to lose games. D-league time would be very beneficial, just to let him work on his offensive moves.

Of course, we know that Clint will not be playing D-League games anymore. But, I do wish the Rockets would trust him to do more than pick and roll, and ally-oops.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't know why but i kinda feel the same.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, I do think Capela can improve greatly on offense. Maybe because I remember Hakeem when he first came to U of H. Hakeem was so raw. Hakeem was so athletic, but he had yet to develop the offensive skill set he would become known for. I'm not saying Clint will become the next Hakeem, but I am saying that Clint is just now the age that Hakeem was when he was a rookie in the NBA. Clint could improve dramatically over the next few years, just like Hakeem did.

I really hope that Morey decides to be patient and wait for Clint to reach his full potential, instead of trade him as soon as his rookie contract comes to an end.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Capela will never be like Hakeem, but i do feel that he can improve more than what a lot of people think, not sure why though, just a feeling. And yes, i hope Morey keeps this kid on the team -> unless he's a necessary part in a trade, but only for a superstar.

17. RV6

RV6 Member

weight isn't everything when it comes to strength.

Capela has played almost half a season less worth of NBA games and at a signficiantly lower MPG.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It isn't everything but its a lot. Noel also has played on the worst team in the league with no winning or playoff experience under his belt.

Im just whatever Noel has over Capela, strength and experience probably isn't really it.

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Cole Aldrich had also been in the league for what 7-8 years? And really wasn't even seen as a viable backup till 2-3 years ago.

Trust me nobody like Cole more than me im a big Kansas fan.

Besides at some point you have to let these bigs grow, Capela hasn't even played 80 NBA games yet.

Nobpdy really knows what Capela can be, some ppl like you think he's just a backup center, and make no mistake he's def good enough as is to be the backup on almost any contender right now. Some think he can/is good enough to be a starter right now.

Your right he's not a starter on a contender because guess what the rockets arnt contenders.

I posted this a while back but he's already producing at a higher rate than deandre was at his age. Jordan didn't hit double/double status until 3 seasons ago in his 5th season and he was steady 25min+ since his 2nd year.

All im saying is that Hassan whitside, deandre Jordan, Bismack Biyombo just to name a few were all worse than Capela is at his stage of development. You out of everyone should no it takes these bigs a lot longer to get the defensive rotaions especially pick and roll longer than it takes the wing and PFs. The center is the lay line of defense and the anchor of any team D. It's so hard to grasp that for these guys that already have the game coming at them 100 mphs.

What he does have is the length, athletism and mobility needed to be a stater level center in the NBA. Whether he becomes one is up for debate but he has a chance were not talking about chuck Hayes or some undersized player.