1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela Putting in Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 11, 2016.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

As mentioned earlier - that didn't seem like a particularly tough workout. Backing down guys a full foot shorter and probably 25lbs lighter than him isn't going to help him much in live action. I'm also not sure what was up with the small weights on that bench lift exercise - those look like 10s at best. The sentiment is good, but I'm not sure what real value he gets out of it if he works out like that all summer.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Guys I think we found Jopat's new Terrence Jones.

Seriously... Capela is the Rockets best value with three more seasons locked up, with probably the highest upside and this jackass wants to trade him because "he doesn't like his game"..... STFU. He rebounds, blocks shots, and can defend the paint... ALREADY, and he's a fluid natural athlete who is going to continue to get better.... nothing here NOT to like but Jopat needs a player to root against and troll fans who are optimistic about said player.

3. Remlap

Remlap Member

Let's give him some time.

This season will be more telling.
    Hopefully he at least brings a FT shot with him to camp

4. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

He's 22! Some comments on here seem to suggest he doesn't have upside. Power players (almost) always mature slower than quick players. He's not close to his peak. I'm happy to have him.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What does Noel have that Capela doesn't?

6. dmoneybangbang

I pretty much agree with this. Defensively, he has the ability to switch out to the perimeter and recover but he just needs more experience with the schemes. If he can ever get to 70% ft, a lot will open up for him offensively.

7. RV6

RV6 Member

Probably strength and experience

8. Chamillionaire

Jopat has a good point. His value is really high right now, but I have a feeling it'll be higher after this year of getting starters minutes. If he averages a double double which is very doable, his value will increase IMO. Plus we don't have a C.

Let's give this kid a chance and see what he's got.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EklQFFIAd4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Noel came into the league 15 pounds lighter then Capela, and missed his rookie year from injury.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Welp. That made me miss Pablo.

1 person likes this.
  11. basketballholic

Good question.

1. Speed in transition - vast difference here. Noel is much faster going end to end. Capela, although athletic, cannot get up and down like Noel. He doesn't have the speed nor the stamina Noel does.

2. Defensive instints in pick and roll. Nerlens is on a whole higher level. Responds quicker. Recovers quicker.

Those are the main ones. The differences are on the defensive end and in transition, both areas critical to our success. You're not going to see it in the box score numbers. And you're not even going to see the differences in totality without realizing the two different situations these players have been in. Noel is in a different class defensively. His responsiveness. His challenging of opponents that causes them to back off. His positioning. His ability to process on the fly and respond properly. He's quicker getting to the right spot.

Now these also:

3. Shooting - Capela is Drummond level terrible at the FT line. Noel is acceptable. Can't hack Noel.

4. Rebounding - Noel is the superior rebounder. Capela's rebounding numbers, especially his offensive rebounding, are heavily influenced by Dwight's presence and the defensive attention given to him. When Dwight was off the court, Capela's rebounding numbers suffered drastically. Noel didn't have Dwight. He hasn't had anything close to Dwight to help him defensively.

It's very obvious that up until now Clint was much better served defensively playing alongside another great, athletic big defensive monster (either Dwight or Smoove). When you remove that defensive anchor from Clint his defensive effectiveness and rebounding have suffered severely.

This is why I say we are taking a huge gamble by expecting Capela to blossom as our defensive anchor in 2016. There is zero evidence to indicate he can do the job in the middle. His defensive field goal percentage, his rebounding......there is no evidence to show he can do the job while there is ample evidence that he cannot anchor a defense. Clint has to have a massive breakout to be able to anchor this team. A breakout so massive that it very rarely ever happens.

Noel is a far better player at this stage of their careers.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

If he hasn't bulked up before the season, I'm skeptic about him having a big impact. He will foul out quickly.

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

he should be lifting weight to gain muscle and practice catching passes instead of post move
    he's not going to get the ball in the post anyway

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Noel can lead a team to more than 12 wins or whatever they got last year. :grin:

15. malakas

malakas Member

Except that I am indeed a Bucks fan over Rockets fan, that doesn't mean anything.
    There's no benefit to Houston for Thon to be on the roster over Capela.
    If you think Thon can be the starting C of a team lol
    Yesterday he fouled out of SL with 10 fouls!
    He is weaker than Capela by FAR and can be moved by even strong SL guards from position. Any NBA big man would eat him for breakfast.
    He needs to put on weight for 2 years to not be such a weakling.

If there's anyone contesting any shot in the rim he can't finish or rebound.

He also hasn't realised what his role should be something that Capela has done years ago. He still thinks that he is a guard/wing.
    Plus Thon is older by 2 years.

His shot isn't good even though he loves to pretend to be a wing and takes them.
    The only better that I have seen from Thon vs Capela is that he has better insticts. But he doesn't even want to be a C and he certainly can't right now. His passing is also horrendous.
    What's the big deal with Thon again? For me he's a future energy rim protecting big man with high motor , should hit his FTs and maybbe in the far future can learn to stretch the floor from the midrange a bit.
    A project of at least 2 seasons.

defence.
    Just because both are mobile big men with good shotblocking hands doesn't mean they are the same.

Noel is night and day ahead of Capela in what to do in D AND was such from his rookie season.

But on the other hand Capela may have something that Noel doesn't have. A better frame. Noel hasn't been able to put any weight in all his years in the league and he will always be a small ball 5.

Which is detrimental when facing a much heavier real C.
    I may post later some stats that show how Noel is often bullied and the D of his team collapses in those situations.

At least with Capela it's very possible for him to put on more muscle and not get bullied by real big men.

16. csc177

csc177 Member

I was initially going to say Height and Wingspan, but I don't think Noel is truly 6'11 (i think its the flat top). Clint is definitely closer to 6'9.

They are very similar players though--good comparison.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

So let me get this straight. Jopat has a point (that we should trade Capela) because-

-He could potentially have a great year
    -We have a need at the position he plays
    -He has great value and a great contract
    -He's young
    Etc etc

Well sh$& we should just trade him to ourselves then since we could use him as much as anyone else it sounds like. Makes total sense.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Capela was measured at 6'9.5 without shoes in 2013, then 6'11 with shoes in 2014

Noel was measured at 6'10 without shoes in 2013

So half an inch, but honesty how accurate can they measure Noel with that high top? Even if you smush it down its still bound to add some height...

Eitherway they are roughly the same height, Capela has the slightly longer reach and wingspan.

I don't watch any 76'r games outside of when we face them so I don't know how good Noel is on defense from the eye test. All I know is both have similar advanced defensive stats for whatever thats worth. Rougly same block %, dtrg, dws etc, Noel has a slightly higher steal percentage but Capela's steal percentage is still good for a big man. Capela has a better rebounding % as well.

But its hard to tell, I don't know if Noels stats are inflated or deflated from playing with 76'rs, dont know if Capela's stats are inflated or deflated playing next to Howard.

I don't know how to find the splits, but what percentage of minutes did Capela play WITH Howard? Howard averaged 32 minutez, Capela 19 so its not like they could have played that much together although I know they dis start for a stretch of games. Whats our defensive stats with Capela on off compared to Howard on off? And the Capela with Howard and without Howard split as well, would love to see those rep to anybody who can post them.

I do know from my eye test, Capela is a really good PnR defender, as well as generally a permiter defender, the man can really move his feet. He's not a good post defender yet IMO, not strong enough at the moment, also can be out of position at times, but for the most part I view Capela as a good defender as long as he isn't holding someone with a post game. Which in todays NBA is diminishing rapidly so its not that big of a issue.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

This video showed us nothing that he can really do on the court, considering Shaq could hit a midrange jumper in practice.

BUT

It does show us that the kid is ready and willing to work, rather than sit around without improving your game and expecting to be a max player (Dwert)

20. saleem

saleem Member

And also on shooting a jumper with some reliability. Good to see him working on
    post moves. He should learn the up and under from D-Mo. I hope the Dream will
    come back, for a short while to Houston to work with him too.