1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela officially signs deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 23, 2014.

1. basketballholic

This video shows some athleticism and hops. Not only does he have hops but he's got quick hops. He's up and down in a flash. A definite plus here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LMpAQPauNyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If anything, it was the Wade deal that "locked themselves into mediocrity". Bosh, Deng and max cap space plus next season would not have been a team locked in mediocrity. Bosh, Deng, Love...Bosh, Deng, Durant (2 years)...Bosh, Deng, Aldridge...Bosh, Deng, Millsap. These are potential "Big 3"'s they could have had if they didn't sign Wade. All of them are probably a Top 2 team in the East.

Even with Wade, they might be the third best team in the East.

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

I'll throw my lot in with those who see the glass half full. Hope springs eternal. We can always hope he'll be a young version of The Natural. Losing Asik leaves few options. Unless he makes some huge errors in practice, I don't expect him to spend as much time in Viperland as some others here. Limited minutes with results determining which direction he heads. And how he responds to coaching and practice. Beverly should be an inspiration for him.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

The fact is, we don't know if he can shoot or not. There just isn't enough evidence from his past exposure to make a finite statement about whether he's going to be able to shoot at the NBA level. Just as there wasn't much evidence last year with the Greek freak. Just as there wasn't much evidence with Biyombo.

However what you can see.... he's much more of a mobile wing than a bulky big. We just don't know his exact skill level right now if that athleticism can translate to more of a perimeter role, or if he's not skilled enough to handle life outside of the paint.

If he can... we might be looking at a PF version of Batum. If he can't, and has a lower than expected BBIQ, he could be the next Jeremy Evans.

I dunno but he's definitely going to be someone to watch next year. I'm not sure why the board is so incredibly pessimistic about him. We all know the risk Morey took in taking him(probably will be more Jeremy Evans than Batum), but people are WAAAYYY too low on the upside of taking him.

5. basketballholic

I'm not as pessimistic as I once was. I think he'll be better than T_ones out of the box. He's longer and more athletic than _ones. Has good box-out skills. And good defensive instinct. He'll be better than _ones on defense and the glass. For that matter he's better than DMo on D too. He's probably a better finisher than _ones. And he for sure can't be any worse of a _ump shooter than _ones.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

I'm not pessimistic. Just being realistic. I like his potential and think he can definitely help us on the defense/rebounding front. But 3pt shot? That's far too reaching.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Why are you underscoring everything? ZOMG

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Probably shouldn't have even mentioned the shot. What I was referring to was the impact that Batum has defensively and seeing a lot of similarities in his body type & athleticism & wondering if he could be a PF version of what Batum does.

The 3 point shot is just something that would be like striking gold on the other end. What's realistic for him is how his length and athleticism SHOULD translate on the defensive end. Offense right now is where the real gamble is.

9. NotChandlerParsons

It's a gamble on the defensive end too IMHO. Most of these defensive bigs seem to grow out of their ADD and figure out where to be but some never do (I'm lookin at you, Samuel Dalembert).

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is plenty of evidence that shows he is not an accurate shooter based on his time in Europe. I am perfectly comfortable saying a guy that can't shoot in Europe can't shoot in the NBA. Whether he can be taught to shoot by NBA/D League coaches is a different matter. The alphabet was a different matter because he didn't even have experience against top talent in Europe. How well semi-accurate shooting against high school level talent translates to the NBA is very different than inaccurate shooting versus top talent in Europe.

11. champstocome

champstocome Member

Because T.Jones doesnt have a solid J. So he deserves no J's! I heard Harden banned him from wearing jordans. No J's ever.

12. basketballholic

You are correct. There is more than enough evidence to see that Capela cannot shoot the basketball very well and will need to drastically improve in that area. People that "don't know" just haven't done their homework on the kid.

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

Capela has to improve in a lot of areas. However, no one can say whether or not he can develop a consistent jumper or other skills needed to be a rotation player just based on some of his video. He made it to the Rockets pick for a reason, he is raw but so were Ibaka and Batum when they were drafted (otherwise they would have been lottery picks).

I am looking forward to seeing if he can develop and he is a player where you need a hit. The only players more valuable than young contributors on cheap contracts are stars.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

You are truly a piece of work. I mean really. You couldn't resist taking a shot at me could you?.. its sad and pathetic what you will go through to show me up.

You want to tell me that you flew out to France for a few months last year to go watch him in person on multiple occasions? So because he shot a low percentage from outside the last two years when he was playing primarily inside the paint and didn't even really take any shots of any value from outside regardless that constitutes as having evidence that someone can't shoot at the NBA level later in his career?

Yes... his free throw percentage was low. That's an indicator, but its not the whole truth. There are alot of cases in the NBA where young players struggle at the line, but it has no indication with how they shoot in rhythm during a game.

I never said there was any indication he would be able to shoot in the NBA. All I said is we don't know (even though I'm sure you are an expert overseas prospect talent scout now when its convenient for you to pump your own ego). What we do know is the guy shoots 71% from the floor in Eurocup(most of all at the rim). Which tells us that he doesn't take bad shots right now. So whether he can shoot the 3 or not doesn't really matter. What matters is there is a good indication he wont try to shoot if its not in his game.

So stop trying to show me up. You know damn well what I was getting at. Your not a F-ing expert because you have a YouTube clip from the Nike Hoops Summit jackass.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

And you can tell all this in a short drill video? WOW

16. basketballholic

I'm not going to argue with you on this. Just making a point. The kid is not a good shooter right now. And anybody that can't see that hasn't done their homework. All the evidence is staring us in the face, from the video to the shooting percentages. I've seen enough of his shooting to know that if he were playing in an NBA rotation for a season starting today, he'd shoot about 30% from the perimeter, very much like Terrence _ones.

Now...I did say that his mechanical issues were correctable. In fact, they are a lot more easily correctable than _ones' mechanics. But that doesn't mean Capela is going to correct them and become and effective jump shooter. And an effective JUMP SHOT is the #1 skill that we need from our PF playing next to Dwight.

So it is true we don't know what he's going to become yet. Kid seems to have a high motor and good work ethic. That's what appears to be the case right now. But will that continue once he gets his money? And is he intelligent enough to be coached up? And if he can be coached up, will his game evolve into a 5 or a 4? Those questions remain unanswered for now. But one question is not unanswered. He's a poor jump shooter right now. We do KNOW that.

17. basketballholic

Some of it from watching video. His mechanical issues are obvious.

Some of from looking at his stats. The numbers don't lie.

Some of it from reading and listening to other talent scouts that get paid to scout these kids.

Of course, you're free to discount all that if you like and call all the evidence BS. But your claim that all the evidence is BS....could very well be BS.

Let me introduce you to draftexpress.com. These guys do this for a living. And they do a great job. My eyes confirm what they say here about Capela's shooting ability. And the stats confirm what they say about Capela's lack of a jump shot as well. You can forward to 7:40 to see his weaknesses.

Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D29d4g1C80Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

So Terrence _ones has no "j". (cogitates) I get it!

Man, you changed on this. When we drafted this kid you were practically wiping him off your shoe: "He sucks, other than the fact that he can't shoot, can't box out, can't do this, can't do that, holds a basketball as if it were a pumpkin, he'd be GREAT"....

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

NOBODY SAID HE CAN SHOOT NOW. EVERYONE apparently DID THEIR HOMEWORK... or simply just isn't going to act like they know something that nobody else does.

20. basketballholic

There you go again. Reading stuff into posts that isn't there.

What you did say was there was no way to know whether he could shoot. Here's your statement:

Joe Joe then responded with:

I responded in agreement with Joe Joe. Right now, dude can't shoot and there is plenty of evidence to support that. I did acknowledge before your post that he could possibly improve. Here's that remark:

Understandomendo?