1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela officially signs deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 23, 2014.

1. djperm

djperm Member

Impressive WIN and Performance! Keep doing ur thang young man :cool:

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really like Capela but he is probably 2 years away. Give him most of the year in the D-League and bring him up as gaps in their schedule permit. Practicing with the big boys will be good for him but he ultimately needs playing time.

Looks to have pretty decent footwork albeit nasty shooting mechanics.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Defense---> Check
    Rebound---> Check
    Rim Protector---> Check
    Finish at the rim and dunk on somebody ---> Check

Looks good to me. Can careless about his jumper. If Howard does what he supposed to do and develop that post game a stretch 4 isn't necessarily necessary.

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

The problem with that is this kid weighs around 210 pounds. He's simply too thin, too under developed to be a difference maker in that kind of role as a rookie playing in the NBA.

Of course, I hope I'm dead wrong and you are right. But if this kid comes in and makes the rotation behind Dwight as the primary backup 5...I'll be shocked...very pleasantly so.

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

That's what I thought about Durant, the thin part. And looking at the Centers these days, who bangs down low ? No one really. Marc Gasol is about all that comes to mind, but I'm sure he can hold his own. If he is taught how to hold his ground by staying low, theres no reason he can't defend any center in the league. The weight will come, his offense is what I'm worried about, not defense

6. basketballholic

Durant is one of the most elite shooters in the NBA. It's ok for him to be thin. His job is not to protect the rim.

A good question to ask would be which would be easier to accomplish with Capela, teach him an effective 3-point shot or help him beef up so he can pound in the paint without losing any athleticism.

Me personally...I'd rather teach the kid a 3-point shot than to try to cram weight on his frame.

7. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

The big problem with a lot of big men is their fundamentals. If they studied Hakeem and Duncan they would learn some things.
    I hate to see it, but every center I see in the league rolls the wrong way when making a pick. After making a pick you are supposed to open towards basket, while holding off your defender and open up picking up your arm closest to basket, yet all these guys pick and run towards basket making a 360 turn without worrying about the defender.
    As soon as ball is in the air, you find your man and box him out, yet many will stand and wait for the ball and then get beat on the offensive board. Just basic fundamentals will make this kid a very good player. He has great size and athletic ability, he just has to be taught how to use it to his advantages.

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Guarantee you those are some big physical pro bodies he's going up against.

9. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

There's no reason to teach him the 3, if he develops it after time fine, but honestly if he can learn the 15 footer like Patterson he will be great. He already defends and rebounds well, if he can stretch the floor to the free throw line it would be great, but to focus on the 3 point shot makes no sense in my opinion. With a high bball i.q. and fundamentals theres no reason he can be great, up to coach to teach him though. Kevin Durant is a HOF and look at his frame.

10. basketballholic

It's just as easy to teach a 7 footer how to shoot a 37% 3-ball as it is to teach him to shoot a 50% 15 footer.

11. Remii

Remii Member

He has a body type similar to Anthony Davis when he was a rookie and he looks like he's closer to 215 maybe 220 soaking wet... Maybe...???

But sometimes a player can make up for what they lack in body weight with lower body strenth/leverage and quickness in getting into position. Which is possibly why players like Anthony Davis didn't get pushed around and KD as well when he goes in and fight for rebounds.

With the way he moves it looks like Professor Olajuwon may can teach him a thing or two as well. I think his defense may can get him on the court this year... But if not maybe he'll be ready next year. Either way it looks like this kid will help us _ one day.

12. mollamar

mollamar Member

Can some please name me a single team that acquired two superstars through trades without having a third already that they had previously drafted?

I think folks dramatically underestimate how good a job Morey has done. We rebooted this whole entire team from Yao plus T-Mac to D12 and Harden in 3 seasons without having a losing season using nothing but our own picks, purchased 2nd rounders, manufacturing trade value (by tacking on unguaranteed extra years onto said 2nd round picks) and smart incremental trades.

Quit your b****ing people.

1 person likes this.
  13. basketballholic

He's got quick feet. Which is a start to Olajuwon teaching him moves. But Olajuwon was a skinny minny himself in the NBA and relied on his quicks. But yet...Olajuwon still was 245 or so. This kid has to add 25 lbs just to get to skinny. Anthony Davis?? Davis seems longer and stronger than Capela. And even Davis has problems against the bulk of the NBA. Davis' lack of strength is probably hindering him more than any other thing right now.

14. Remii

Remii Member

That's because Davis had to spend a lot of time playing at the center position. He's better served at the 4 position... which is where he will be now that he has Asik (Damn that's a scary frontcourt). I think Capela can jump into that 4 rotation. The door is open for him with D-Mo's lack of defense. And all those dudes may can give spot minutes at the 5. A lot of teams like to run small a lot and it's not like there's a big group of offensively skilled centers in the league.

15. xiki

xiki Member

In the NBA bigs develop slowly, sometimes after several years. Only the elite start off well. Others have good starts then get figured out.

CC is a guy who, with patience, promises to be worth it. But, our FO (see: Alex, Leslie) is not patient. Thus, CC seems destined to be an included asset in a bigger deal.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah I think him and DMo can blossom into decent rotation bigs at some point.

It just won't happen here. We neither have the patience nor the time to wait for guys to develop.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

Any highlights from the Russia game?

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

Wait....

Clint Capella is black?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kid is 19 and is still growing into his body. His game has improved tremendously in just 2 years. There is no reason to think he has already peaked in terms of skillset or physical maturity. He is a 3rd stringer at best right now with upside. The season does not hinge on Capela so chillax man.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

something is wrong with me cause I can't say anything positive about this offseason acquisitions besides Ariza.