1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clear majority favors legal mar1juana, new Gallup poll shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 22, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...rs-legal-mar1juana-new-gallup-poll-shows?lite

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Carla Rowe smoked some dank as **** and was scarred for life.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Errr.. Carla Lowe -- as in, not high.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Go America!

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Great, then that same clear majority can all call their congressmen, donate to the right PACs and get it done. Otherwise it's just market research.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I saw this cited by Gary Johnson on Facebook today.

I'm basically indifferent towards mar1juana legalization, however, this poll surveyed 1028 Americans who happened to answer their phone.

That's .0003% of the population. So my attitude towards this information is the same as pouhe.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You don't know about statistical sampling?

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Won't be long before the government starts subsidizing....:eek:

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Even Pat Robertson favors legalizing pot...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sQi7A5MW2kQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Major

Major Member

Given that this is the first and only poll to show this, and a significant change from last year, I think it should be treated a bit skeptically right now and as a bit of an outlier. This result, though, should spur more polling on this subject and we'll have a more definitive sense of what people think fairly soon.

11. smr6

smr6 Member

Phone poll. Likely conducted during the work week when the majority of people who would be opposed to it are not home and are at work generally. Leaving young college age or below people, stay at home parents, unemployed people, or retired people as the majority of people who are likely to be included in this survey. The parents and the retired people are more likely to oppose it (and it shows for the latter based on the results of 65+), while the other groups who are likely the majority of what you will get are more likely to be in favor of legalizing it.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ObamaCare Part II

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In my opinion, most drugs should be legal. If alcohol is legal, makes little sense for other drugs to not be, as it is just as, if not more harmful then drugs. For me there are two strong cases for it.
    1.) You can tax it and stop wasting tons of money on imprisoning people for having it (As well as defunding agencies like DEA, etc.)
    2.) It would essentially wipe out the cartels/drug violence in Mexico which is a serious problem for them and us. Don't think the cartels can keep pace with the market force that is walmart, etc.

And for the record I do not do drugs, nor would I if they were legal.

14. Major

Major Member

Polls are generally adjusted for demographics. Besides, the poll is in comparison to previous polls, which were likely conducted under the same general circumstances. Gallup conducts this poll every year.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't think they wouldn't die or kill everyone trying.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They can try all day long, but their money and power will dry up.

17. Major

Major Member

Or they will just switch to engaging in something else illegal. Cartels tend to be more resilient than you think.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Legalize all drugs and prostitution. Tax it. Educate people.

Lets make some money instead of spending money fighting these cartels.

19. Major

Major Member

Then they'll move into sex slavery or whatever other illegal trade is available. Cartels aren't built around a particular product - they are built around profit and power. They pick the easiest product, so if you legalize those, they'll move on to things that are harder, but probably more ethically repugnant. I think you're wrong if you think it will just make them go away.

Specific drugs should be legalized if we think it's the right thing for society, not because we think it will eliminate a criminal element from society.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

To go along with this point, mar1juana's activists like to point to Prohibition and the Chicago mafia - but it's not like the mafia collapsed when Prohibition was repealed.

I'd personally be fine with mar1juana legalization...if mar1juana's advocates reassured me that they would just be going after mar1juana. Instead, they go out of their way to convince me that they're not, and consequently I have no interest whatsoever in giving them a precedent so that they can go after the drugs that half of them REALLY want.