1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chronic] Yao Says Foot is 100%

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Oct 1, 2008.

1. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6033215.html

Yao puts best foot back on the floor

Center ready to go after injury cut season short

With sweat soaking through his practice gear and his once-fractured right foot fully healed, Yao Ming was finally back on the Toyota Center floor Tuesday. There were weeks of work to be done, rough edges to be honed. But he was back.

Freed from his surgery and rehabilitation to be the face of a franchise again, he looked around the arena and imagined himself ready to return to where he was when his season was so abruptly and shockingly ended last February.

Training camp had begun with a simple refresher walk-through. The arena was largely empty. Even preseason games were still a week away. But the disappointment and frustration of a season lost were at last gone.

“I can’t wait to go,” Yao said. “I can’t wait ... for first preseason game, for first regular-season game. I want to go try out myself.”

Yao again declared the condition of his foot at 100 percent, showing the familiar sense of humor that had abandoned him when a third consecutive season was interrupted by a major injury.

“I feel good,” he said. “I can’t say it’s like brand new, but it’s like my foot.”

Yao has looked forward to a chance to start over since he blamed himself for the Rockets’ first-round exit last spring in Salt Lake City. As much as he cherished his experiences in the Beijing Olympics, he said Tuesday that in many ways it was valuable as preparation for the Rockets’ season to come, forcing him to prepare early and then pushing his conditioning to the point he reported 13 pounds lighter than last season and feeling far more fit than a month ago.

“That was not 100 percent, I know that,” he said of his readiness for the Olympics. “I was about 70 or 80 percent in the Olympics. I tried my best. Because of my injury, I could not give them 100 percent. But in a way, the Olympics were a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets’ season. If you throw this out there, probably some of the Chinese fans will not be happy, but that’s just being honest.”

Still, the Rockets approach the season planning a delicate balancing act with Yao. They want him to start the season playing as well as he was when he was hurt the past two seasons, but they also plan to keep tighter reins on Yao’s celebrated work ethic to keep him fresher and perhaps even avoid injuries.

No time out

Yao has often balked at limiting his preparation or playing time. But after three consecutive seasons ended or interrupted by injuries, he is ready to try a change.

“I have to let up a little bit, not let my body get too tired before a game,” Yao said. “Let’s try some new schedules; just put the best shape into the game. I need to learn something from the last three years, seriously.”

While avoiding injuries would be the greatest goal, the Rockets hope that better play off the bench will allow them to reduce the career-high 37.2 minutes per game Yao played last season, nearly five more than his career average. But more than trim his playing time by a few minutes, the Rockets plan to make a greater impact by cutting back on his practice schedule.

“People say, ‘Limit minutes,’ ” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “I don’t know what that means. You need him on the floor. I don’t think we want to play him 40 minutes. What he played last year, maybe down from that. The biggest thing with Yao is monitoring him on off-game days, too. He’s such a hard worker; he just runs himself into the ground. He keeps saying he wants to rest, but he never wants to sit out. We’re going to try to monitor him as much as we can, be smart in how we use him.

“Practice is probably the biggest thing for Yao, back him off a little bit there. I remember last year, I told him, ‘I’m going to play you this kind of time frame’ and he was all for that — until the game. Then, he didn’t want to go out, then he wanted to go back in. It’s something you have to say, ‘This is how we’re going to do it, and this is how it’s going to be.’  “

Freshness counts

There has been no medical evidence, or even suggestion, that the workload led to Yao’s injuries. The Rockets, however, see other reasons to force Yao off the court more often.

“Let’s take the stats out of it,” Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma said. “Yao is the type of guy if you watch him play, you can tell when it’s going good. When he’s not tired and he’s in game shape, he makes better decisions. His turnovers go down. He’s more active to the boards. There were times last year we needed to keep him on the court, but he got tired and struggled a little bit. That’s the situation we hope to reduce or eliminate.

“The most important part for the staff, Rick’s staff, and Yao, is we’ve had a year together now. We learned to trust each other. My input to him can be better because of what I know.”

Still, Yao was far more excited about finally being back on the court than the times he will be off it. The Rockets continued winning without him, including adding 12 more to the winning streak 10 games long when he went out.

Call him the streak

Yao, however, still has a streak going, having won the last 16 games in which he played.

And as happy as he was to be back Tuesday, the Rockets might have even been more exultant to see him.

“It’s great. It’s great,” forward Luis Scola said. “He’s a big part of our team, a huge part. If he’s good, if he’s healthy, if he’s mentally fine and physically fine, we’re going to be way, way better.”

Yao can hardly wait.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Mouthpiece Feigan doesn't even know the win streak was 12 when Yao went out and not 10.

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

That article makes me feel really, really good.

4. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Thats fantastic. i cant wait to see yao back to his form of 2 years ago where was just toying with people. you know what pisses me off the most, people say he is tall so that equates to him being dominante. well shawn bradley was tall. muresan was tall. noone of those guys were good. i've had this argument with so many rocket haters on other sites that sometimes i felt like i was having a heart attack due to the stress. :mad:

5. comehere2

comehere2 Member

play the whole season, yao and gang. please.

6. joesr

joesr Member

I don't know about this....

Last year he averaged 37.2 min per game. The highest of any of the players for that year. I don't think a buy of his size should be clocking in more time then our PG.

Eh?? Wear and tear isn't what caused this??? Do they think him playing his World of Warcraft character caused it?? I don't understand that either.

Scola coming in his 2nd year more experienced, Landry to back him up and even Artest coming in I would hope they could shed more minutes of his average. Every minute would count.

True RA, he might not want to come out or true he might want to get back on the court but you are the coach! Sometimes you have hold back your players and regulate the minutes! I do not care for the end of the season W/L record as long as we make the playoffs with EVERYONE healthy. If it means taking a loss here or there then so be it. I mean lets be honest, last year with Scolandry addition, if Yao was healthy or at least in playing condition Jazz would have lost in 5.

Flame on...

7. kwng

kwng Member

This is great news and I look forward to an invincible Rockets season (similar to the last year Celtic performance early in the season .. the whole season in fact).
    I hope Battier will be ready for the season opening match also.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets won 4 in a row, then Yao sat a game out with the flu (I think it was a Utah game at home) they lost, then Yao came back and the Rockets won 12 more before Yao went out.

So with Yao the Rockets had won 16 in a row.....Feigen is right.

DD

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i think he's referring to Feigen flipping the win streak numbers. the win streak was at 12 when Yao went down, not 10 as Feigen reports;

"Still, Yao was far more excited about finally being back on the court than the times he will be off it. The Rockets continued winning without him, including adding 12 more to the winning streak 10 games long when he went out."

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Oh yeah, not only you. I think everybody is excited about that, new season healthly Yao, McGrady and the addition of Ron.

As it was mentioned in another thread, I also belive Yao's health will be the key for Houston. So it is a great news and hopefully the entire team can stay healthly...

11. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

rick could learn a bit from jvg in this case. ;)

yao should play 34 minutes per game at most AND he should take it easy with all the practice.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In the summer, I heard he wouldn't be "100%" until next February.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As Easy suggested a month ago or so, I have to believe 34mpg for JVG equates to 37mpg for Adelman, noting that JVG had Yao play high PnR defense more than Adelman and had him bang inside offensively more. So, if both coaches let Yao tell them when he needs a rest or wants back in, I can see how Yao would rest himself more under JVG.

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Great news. Let's just hope the Rockets can build up big enough leads in the closing minutes so RA doesn't have to overplay him. That or you know, play Deke in the same game.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I think, the 100% means his foot is 100% ready for the NBA games, but not 100% recovery since it would take a year to completely recover the injure as said before. Play less would be a great idea at the begining of the season.

16. mich

mich Member

I can't wait to see either

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

can't wait to see yao in his dominating stage again. i love watching this kid play.

18. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I believe Yao should have at least 1 MVP trophy sitting on his shelf if it wasn't for Tim Thomas falling on him.

19. towW

towW Member

He needs some Nikes.

20. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

While a lot of you are happy with what the article says, I'm pissed off by it.

It took 3 consecutive seasons cut short by injury to make Yao realize that he has to be careful with his body and condition? To make him realize that he should take some rest and not tire his body out BEFORE matches? Are you kidding me? He should have known about all these the first year he came into NBA!

Yeah he's a smart talker, but I think he's dumb when it comes to decision making. And stupidly stubborn.