1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets' free-agency caravan takes a wrong turn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Should we lock Jerome Solomon articles on ClutchFans?

1. Yes, get rid of them

171 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. No, let them be

47 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Rockets34Legend

Courtesy of the Queen:

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2010/07/rockets_3.html

Now, I think the Miami Heat's "We Want Wade Week" campaign is a solid, smart team promotion.

The Mavs' "Open Letter to Dirk" and "What Would You Say to Dirk" bits aren't too bad, either.

If Yao Ming had opted out, I would have expected something similar from the Rockets.

Those are about allowing fans to express how much they want the team's best player to stay with the team, as opposed to asking fans to help the team lure somebody else's best player.

The only reason organizations run these gimmicks — especially since they know that fans' input will have no effect on any acquistion — is to get crazed fans thinking "we're all in this together." Cute.

The Rockets' free-agency caravan? Don't get me started.

The idea that such a thing shows the team will do whatever it takes to win a championship is hilarious. But that's what the Rockets are saying.

It's fun stuff for fans, though, which if that was all they sold it as would be fine.

(Side note: the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers — that would be Spurs and Lakers, who have won nine of the last 12 championships — make no mention of the start of NBA free agency, nor are they running any promos to convince people that they want to win championships on their Web sites.)

Anyway, I bet Jason Friedman and those on the trip didn't expect to not be where the Rockets were when they met Chris Bosh.

On Darryl Morey's command, they drove to Miami, where they though Bosh would be last night. Instead, Morey ended up meeting Bosh in Dallas.

Poor caravan.

Still, South Beach would be what I call a good mistake.

• • •

You know I like to have fun at the expenses of rich beggars, so I got a nice chuckle out of the Chicago Bulls' Web site.

Instead of any of its own players on display, what you find is a huge display with the faces of the top free agents spread across the Chicago skyline.

Weak.

• • •

The Knicks have a group of top free agents on their homepage, too, with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Bosh and Joe Johnson in a photo graphic. Also in the pic is Rudy Gay, with Johnson and Johnson holding down the two center photo slots. Hmmm. Is that a hint?

• • •

Did the Knicks really complain to the NBA about a billboard near Madison Square Garden featuring Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and minority owner Jay-Z? Jeez.

There is even word that the Knicks were upset that the Nets held cheerleader tryouts in the city. Hilarious.

Fighting for territory in this sense is quite petty, but if a team thinks something will cost it a few dollars, it'll respond to anything.

It is why you can't hear Dallas Cowboys games on the radio in Houston.

2. juicystream

juicystream Member

No more Jerome Solomon

Please.

3. sammy

sammy Member

Do not click on the link.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't click the link!

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what an attention seeking troll

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Seriously... why do we care what Solomon thinks? He has several personal beefs and issues with the Rockets people and they always come out in his stuff. He's far less qualified to talk about the Rockets than numerous fans here. I don't get it... really.

1 person likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Listen people.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Trollin', trollin', trollin'...yes, he keeps on trollin'...trollin', trollin', trollin'...Dildo.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

I think Solomon links should be like realgm or BR links. Just delete them if people post...

1 person likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The caravan failed people... he's right about that.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Fire this moron already.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to discuss what this joke of a writer is discussing. Is he really criticizing the franchise for letting fans think that they are in on the whole "Free Agency 2010" bonanza that's taking place? From the Rockets perspective, isn't a complete win-win situation?? If the Rockets get their guy, then they can point to the fans and say "Look guys, WE did it!!" And if they don't, they can still point to the effort and say "No matter what, the Rockets are an organization that puts its fans first." I don't understand how this guy continues to find problems with the team for doing things that clearly benefit EVERYBODY. It's obvious he's just grinding an axe for some snub he must have received from the front office, a la Dick Justice and the Texans (didn't he write a bunch of vitriolic pieces aimed at Rick Smith because he fired the Strength and Conditioning coach, who happened to be a very good friend of Dick's?)

1 person likes this.
  14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Watching so many people take the bait and overreact to Solomon's articles is far more sad than any of the content of Solomon's articles.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

quote for truth

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

Ban all Solomon articles, please

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

DON'T
    CLICK
    THE
    LINK!

18. Raven

Raven Member

Which is why it should never have been posted. I find it hilarious, though, how it tries to sound above it all. Like he's the only one clued in. What a troll.

Oh, and do not click on the link!

19. Raven

Raven Member

I'm all for that. Seriously.

20. ILoveTheRockets