1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] Vince Young to Enter NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hoang17, Jan 8, 2006.

1. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

Props to glad_ken in the other thread for posting this.

Link

Jan. 8, 2006, 10:07AM
    Texas QB Vince Young to enter NFL draft

By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    Texas junior quarterback Vince Young plans to enter the NFL draft and forgo his final year of college, a close family friend said today.

Young plans to make the announcement this afternoon at a press conference in Austin.

"He has the blessing of God, the pastor and his family," said Yolanda Lezine, Young's godmother and the family media's spokeswoman. "It's his decision. Everybody is going to support him a 110 percent."

Young capped off his career Wednesday night, rallying the Longhorns from a 12-point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat two-time defending national champion Southern California, 41-38, in the Rose Bowl.

The Madison product will hire Bus Cook as his agent. Cook is also the agent for Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, Young's mentor, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Young finished with 467 all-purpose yards – 200 rushing and 267 passing – in what some are calling one of the greatest performances in college football history. He is the first player in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards (1,050) and pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) in a season. In three seasons, Young is 30-2 as a starter at Texas, the best in school history.

Some draft analysts project Young could be selected among the top 5 in the April draft, possibly as high as the top 3. The Texans, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans own the top three picks in the draft.

The chance to be selected that high was one of the deciding factors in Young's decision not to return to the Longhorns.

All underclassmen must declare for the NFL draft by Jan. 15. Young will become the underclassman to leave early in coach Mack Brown's eight-year tenure at Texas.

joseph.duarte@chron.com

#1 hoang17, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

BRING IT!!!

PLEASE DRAFT HIM, BOB!!!!

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

wow, the next few months are gonna be entertaining.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Good decison.

Even if he wins a national title and an heisman it won't top what he did this year.

He is a Texas Legend forever.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Watching him at the next level will be a treat. Cant wait, even if he plays for the Titans...although, that would suck monkey balls.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If VY goes to the Titans he will take a lot of us old Oiler fans back to Tennessee.

If the Texans are SERIOUS about becoming a professional franchise, Vince is their best option.

The team was 2-14......that sucks....every piece needs improving....

Vince improves everyone......Bush...just a few.

Reggie was great in college but the USC line is WAY better than the Texans line...

Bush would get crushed playing for Houston.

Vince improves EVERYONE with his triple threat capabilities, and he is from Houston.

VINCE VINCE VINCE !

Draft Vince and a lot of the fans that have failed to embrace the Texans will come on board.

Draft Reggie and they will still only have a cursory interest.

DD

7. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

What about our offensive line with Vince? It is going to be a lot harder for him to make a decision in 2 seconds instead of the 6 he got in college sitting in the shotgun. So the offensive line will be a problem for bush and not Young? All this hype is coming after one game (which was amazing), but Bush had similar games against UCLA and Fresno. Yes I realize it was the national title game. But the USC defense was not a great defense. Its amazing how everyone before the Rose Bowl wanted Bush and would not watch the Texans if they did not draft Bush, but now its if they do not draft Vince then they will not watch the Texans.

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Meanwhile, REAL Texan fans will still root for the team no matter who they draft.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, it's about time I took a moratorium from this place. Wonder if I had the willpower only to read Astros stuff.

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Thats a scary thought. I've come to like VY the last couple months.

But I hope its the Texans or Saints for Vince.

I can never root for the Titans. I'd have to have a family member be on the team or a good size of money on one of their games .

Root for the Titans never. Thats worse than rooting for the cowboys.

11. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I was a big Oilers fan but something about the Texans I was never feeling. So as much as tried on Sundays, I never really cared for them. If they draft Vince Young, they will become as important as the Rockets. I'd be stoked. If they don't, things will stay the same. Draft Vince Young, you damn fools.

12. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

This is the reason why Houston fans get made fun of so much.

13. jtotheb

I can't believe that this story hasn't been posted on the ESPN website...

It also makes me curious as to when Reggie Bush plans to declare. I am very surprised that Vince declared before him. Bob McNair must've called him and told him not to worry. :D

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Well, Vince Young wasn't "known" to be coming out until after that game... while Bush has been known for months, so discussing picking VY wasn't really an issue until early Thursday. As for who the Texans' pick, I really don't know... I'm torn. I don't think they can go wrong with either pick, but then again I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Don't bet on it.

Remember the 2003 Carolina Panthers? 1-15.

Remember the 2004 Carolina Panthers? Superbowl.

Remember Carolina's #1 pick after '03? Jordan Gross, OT, Utah.

A rookie QB improves no one. If anything, he hurts everyone.

A rookie RB can come in an post 1,000 yards and 15 TDs, easy.

David Carr has shown us how terrible the franchise is at culturing and providing for rookie QBs, do we want to start this obviously extended growing process all over again?

USC is WAY better than the Texans line? If you're going to say that, then guess what, the UT line is WAY better than the Texans line too!

and therefore.. "Vince would get crushed playing for Houston".

There are some hardcore UT fans who realize that the Texans, as of right now, are a QB graveyard. Vince might scamper for a few jaw droppers, but overall, he's going to struggle mightily until we get a line that can protect and a defense that can give him the ball on the other side of the 50 occassionally.

Failed to embrace the Texans? You mean the team that had solid sellouts until the end of this year when they went into the toilet? Yeah, I don't guess that fan base needs a gimmick to fill the stands.. 'He's from Houston' won't put as many fans in the seats as 'He's from UT'. But even that wears off after a while.. especially if you're losing.

The Texans need to do what they must to improve the team, not increase ticket sales. Winning sells more tickets than a hometown pick ever will.

#15 DonnyMost, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  16. twoface723

twoface723 Member

I hope they draft him. Drafting the sure thing, who is supposedly a Reggie Bush, isn't always the best option. Sometimes you gotta take risks.

17. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

It was pretty much known, I had a source who told me a while back. I posted it on here and everyone just blew it off.

18. jtotheb

You're not lying... All my buddies that are from out of Houston slam me all the time about Houston fans being fairweather. And this crap about becoming a Tennessee fan if the Texans don't draft Vince Young...well, it's crap. If you love a team, it doesn't matter WHO plays for them or HOW BAD they suck. You still root for them.

I'll always be a Texan/Astros/Rockets fan no matter who plays for them...no matter who coaches them, and no matter who owns them. Having said that, I didn't go to UT, I don't bleed orange and white, so if Vince Young plays for the Texans...GREAT! If not, I would hope that there's a good reason.

(for the conspiracy theorists out there)

I also find it heard to believe that Casserly didn't see this coming, and knowingly put us in this position. :cool:

19. Fatty FatBastard

In other news, Bob roundhouse kicks MadMax in the face and drafts Bush.

MadMax brings himself to his feet just long enough to show his disgust at the news.

Then Carr and Bush both roundhouse kick him in the face again.

20. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

I'm surprised you had the courage to actually come back and say anything on this board after what you said the last couple of weeks.

Maybe the reason why everyone blew you off is because all you did was talk a lot of smack and had nothing to back it up. What happened to who's the better QB prospect or any of the other bs that you brought up before the rose bowl?

The reason why everybody jumped the bandwagon from bush to young is not because of "1" game. Of course this game had a huge impact on Young's draft status, but the main reason was because every report in the media had Vince going back to Austin for his senior year. He felt like he wasn't going to be a top 5 pick so he was going to come back. Bush on the other hand was going to come out ever since the UCLA game where his dad told the media that he has nothing else to accomplish at the college level.